unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Confusing overview of mailing lists
@ 2023-11-16  1:37 Erik Grun
From: Erik Grun @ 2023-11-16  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1369 bytes --]

Hello, Guix,

For some time now I've been using Guix on a few test machines. I have to
say, that I really like it. So much so, that I've now finally wanted to
get involved a bit closer. So I went to this page[1] with the overview
of all the mailing lists.

Personally I find the links to the mailing list archives on the
"Contact" page a bit confusing. Because on the first look it appears, as
if those list are "archived". It looks even more so since not every list
has the "(Archive)" behind its name.

My suggestion would be, to remove the archive links altogether from that
page. I mean, one can still get to the archives, when one goes to the
respective mailing list.

If this topic doesn't fit here, please move it to the correct list (and
keep me in the CC).

Best regards,

Erik (egnun)

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/en/contact
--
pub   rsa4096/C02662E2370D6F27 2016-05-27 [SCA] [verfällt: 2024-05-01]
   Schl.-Fingerabdruck = 7E0E 8A9E EAEE 075D E689  F32F C026 62E2 370D 6F27

You are wondering, what this signature means?
Visit *emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/infographic.html*
to find out how YOU can securely encrypt your e-mails.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: Confusing overview of mailing lists
@ 2023-11-20 11:11 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2023-11-20 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Grun; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 02:37:43AM +0100, Erik Grun wrote:
> Hello, Guix,
>
> For some time now I've been using Guix on a few test machines. I have to
> say, that I really like it. So much so, that I've now finally wanted to get
> involved a bit closer. So I went to this page[1] with the overview of all
> the mailing lists.
>
> Personally I find the links to the mailing list archives on the "Contact"
> page a bit confusing. Because on the first look it appears, as if those list
> are "archived". It looks even more so since not every list has the
> "(Archive)" behind its name.
>
> My suggestion would be, to remove the archive links altogether from that
> page. I mean, one can still get to the archives, when one goes to the
> respective mailing list.
>
> If this topic doesn't fit here, please move it to the correct list (and keep
> me in the CC).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Erik (egnun)
>
> [1] https://guix.gnu.org/en/contact

I looked at the two links. Perhaps we could change it to (past
archives), although I understand we refer to the mailing list archive
when we're referring to previous mails sent to that mailing list.

Alternatively, we could just get rid of it, that extra link only saves 1
click if you wanted to go and see the archives.

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Confusing overview of mailing lists
@ 2023-11-22 21:32   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-11-22 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Grun; +Cc: guix-devel

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 02:37:43AM +0100, Erik Grun wrote:

[...]

>> Personally I find the links to the mailing list archives on the "Contact"
>> page a bit confusing. Because on the first look it appears, as if those list
>> are "archived". It looks even more so since not every list has the
>> "(Archive)" behind its name.
>>
>> My suggestion would be, to remove the archive links altogether from that
>> page. I mean, one can still get to the archives, when one goes to the
>> respective mailing list.

[...]

> I looked at the two links. Perhaps we could change it to (past
> archives), although I understand we refer to the mailing list archive
> when we're referring to previous mails sent to that mailing list.

Or what about changing “archive” to “browse archive”?

Ludo’.