unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Computing a derivation for a profile
@ 2023-12-19 23:37 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2023-12-19 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

I would like to compute a derivation for a profile specified by a
manifest.  I do not (yet) want to actually build that derivation.

This seems like a simple thing to do, but I haven’t been able to
accomplish this.  Here is one of the things I’ve tried in “guix repl”:

(begin
  (use-modules (gnu packages) (guix) (guix profiles))
  (derivation-file-name
   (with-store s
     (run-with-store s
       (lower-object
        (profile
         (content
          (specifications->manifest
           (list "texlive-collection-latex"
                 "texlive-collection-latexextra"
                 "texlive-collection-latexrecommended"
                 "texlive-collection-fontsrecommended"
                 "texlive-pgf")))))))))

Unfortunately, lowering this profile object appears to invariably result
in substitutes for all these texlive packages to be downloaded, even
though I only want to get the derivation.

Am I doing something wrong here?  Is this supposed to work?  Is this a
regression?

--
Ricardo

* Re: Computing a derivation for a profile
@ 2023-12-20 11:25 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2023-12-20 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

> I would like to compute a derivation for a profile specified by a
> manifest.  I do not (yet) want to actually build that derivation.

“guix build -d -m manifest.scm” also doesn’t quite do what I want.  It
returns the derivations for all the listed packages, but it doesn’t
generate a profile derivation and doesn’t include any of the hooks
either.

--

@ 2024-01-09 22:03 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-01-09 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ricardo,

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> Unfortunately, lowering this profile object appears to invariably result
> in substitutes for all these texlive packages to be downloaded, even
> though I only want to get the derivation.

It’s grafts again!  (Since everything is grafted right now in master,
due to glibc.)

scheme@(guile-user)> ,use(guix profiles)
scheme@(guile-user)> ,use(guix monad-repl)
scheme@(guile-user)> ,use(guix grafts)
scheme@(guile-user)> (%graft? #f)  ;<- !!
$18 = #t
scheme@(guile-user)> ,use(gnu packages)
scheme@(guile-user)> ,lower        (profile
         (content
          (specifications->manifest
           (list "texlive-collection-latex"
                 "texlive-collection-latexextra"
                 "texlive-collection-latexrecommended"
                 "texlive-collection-fontsrecommended"
                 "texlive-pgf"))))
$19 = #<derivation /gnu/store/ghva49bcjali3nlclk7ycnxw78gdjz4p-profile.drv => /gnu/store/9fkvhgjqy3yb9jdnzyk3pw5i0rwj4234-profile 7f7d81137d70>

HTH,
Ludo’.