unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* screen locker
@ 2015-08-20  8:51 Marcus Moeller
From: Marcus Moeller @ 2015-08-20  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi all.

I wanted to install a screen locker on GuixSD and all I found was slock.

Sadly when I try to start it as unprivileged user, I got an error like:

cannot disable the out-of-memory-killer for this process

Greets
Marcus

* Re: screen locker
@ 2015-08-21 11:54 ` Daniel Pimentel
From: Daniel Pimentel @ 2015-08-21 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcus Moeller; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-devel-bounces+d4n1=opmbx.org

On 2015-08-20 04:51, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I wanted to install a screen locker on GuixSD and all I found was
> slock.
>
> Sadly when I try to start it as unprivileged user, I got an error like:
>
> cannot disable the out-of-memory-killer for this process
>
> Greets
> Marcus
You can install xlockmore and configure your password to screen locker.

Enlightenment have you own screen locker.

Gnome3 too but not available on GuixSD. In soon 3:)

So when I use Windowmaker or Xfce I was use xlockmore package.
--
Daniel Pimentel (d4n1 3:)

* Re: screen locker
@ 2015-08-21 15:47 ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2015-08-21 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcus Moeller, guix-devel

Marcus Moeller <marcus.moeller@gmx.ch> writes:

> Hi all.
>
> I wanted to install a screen locker on GuixSD and all I found was slock.
>
> Sadly when I try to start it as unprivileged user, I got an error like:
>
> cannot disable the out-of-memory-killer for this process
Same here, I think only root can run it.
(the unprivileged user can't set /proc/self/oom_score_adj).

* Re: screen locker
@ 2015-08-21 17:46   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2015-08-21 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 宋文武, Marcus Moeller, guix-devel

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015, at 11:47, 宋文武 wrote:
> Same here, I think only root can run it.
> (the unprivileged user can't set /proc/self/oom_score_adj).

Slock on Debian (package suckless-tools) doesn't have this issue. I am
looking into how they deal with it.

* Re: screen locker
@ 2015-08-21 22:47     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2015-08-21 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 宋文武, Marcus Moeller, guix-devel

It seems that slock wants to have the setuid bit set.

I see in the docs [1] that the store cannot contain setuid programs. Is
the workaround in the docs only applicable to GuixSD, or can it be used
with the standalone package manager?

[1]
http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Setuid-Programs.html

@ 2015-08-23 21:47       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-08-23 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel, Marcus Moeller

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> It seems that slock wants to have the setuid bit set.
>
> I see in the docs [1] that the store cannot contain setuid programs. Is
> the workaround in the docs only applicable to GuixSD, or can it be used
> with the standalone package manager?

It’s only applicable to GuixSD: The ‘setuid-programs’ field mentioned
there is for an ‘operating-system’ declaration.

Ludo’.

* Re: screen locker
@ 2015-08-23 21:49 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-08-23 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcus Moeller; +Cc: guix-devel

Marcus Moeller <marcus.moeller@gmx.ch> skribis:

> I wanted to install a screen locker on GuixSD and all I found was slock.

FWIW I use xlockmore and I have this:

  (operating-system
    ;; ...
    (setuid-programs (cons #~(string-append #$xlockmore "/bin/xlock")
                           %setuid-programs)))

From what others wrote, slock may need to be listed there as well.

HTH,
Ludo’.