unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* how to get the path of the logfile after an unsuccesful build?
@ 2018-03-09  9:15 ng0
From: ng0 @ 2018-03-09  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

did we ever talk about that there's too little information on how to get
the current log file of a failed build? I need this right now (the full log)
and I can't remember how, and making use of the log folder in var/log/guix/ won't
help either.

--
A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
https://n0.is/~ng0

* Re: how to get the path of the logfile after an unsuccesful build?
@ 2018-03-09 13:52 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-03-09 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: guix-devel

ng0 <ng0@n0.is> writes:

> did we ever talk about that there's too little information on how to get
> the current log file of a failed build? I need this right now (the full log)
> and I can't remember how, and making use of the log folder in var/log/guix/ won't
> help either.

The daemon doesn’t keep logs for failed builds.

--
Ricardo

* Re: how to get the path of the logfile after an unsuccesful build?
@ 2018-03-09 14:06   ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2018-03-09 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel, ng0

Ricardo Wurmus transcribed 358 bytes:

> ng0 <ng0@n0.is> writes:
>
> > did we ever talk about that there's too little information on how to get
> > the current log file of a failed build? I need this right now (the full log)
> > and I can't remember how, and making use of the log folder in var/log/guix/ won't
> > help either.
>
> The daemon doesn’t keep logs for failed builds.
>
> --
> Ricardo

So how are we supposed to figure out failures then that happen outside of the length of
the terminal scrollback? Of course I could run it in tmux, but having log files to
share of the failed build comes in handy when debugging builds with upstream/downstream
projects.

--

@ 2018-03-09 14:28     ` Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2018-03-09 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: guix-devel

ng0 <ng0@n0.is> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus transcribed 358 bytes:
>>
>> ng0 <ng0@n0.is> writes:
>>
>> > did we ever talk about that there's too little information on how to get
>> > the current log file of a failed build? I need this right now (the full log)
>> > and I can't remember how, and making use of the log folder in var/log/guix/ won't
>> > help either.
>>
>> The daemon doesn’t keep logs for failed builds.
>>
>> --
>> Ricardo
>
> So how are we supposed to figure out failures then that happen outside of the length of
> the terminal scrollback? Of course I could run it in tmux, but having log files to
> share of the failed build comes in handy when debugging builds with upstream/downstream
> projects.

Can't you redirect the output to a file?

* Re: how to get the path of the logfile after an unsuccesful build?
@ 2018-03-09 14:39       ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2018-03-09 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Lassieur; +Cc: guix-devel, ng0

Clément Lassieur transcribed 766 bytes:
> ng0 <ng0@n0.is> writes:
>
> > Ricardo Wurmus transcribed 358 bytes:

> >> The daemon doesn’t keep logs for failed builds.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ricardo
> >
> > So how are we supposed to figure out failures then that happen outside of the length of
> > the terminal scrollback? Of course I could run it in tmux, but having log files to
> > share of the failed build comes in handy when debugging builds with upstream/downstream
> > projects.
>
> Can't you redirect the output to a file?

  guix build hello  2>&1 | tee output.txt

would work of course, but why throw away the logs when we could just save them?
It seems not very developer friendly to me. This way I will just write another
script that wraps around guix build and saves all my build logs to a location.
I think guix should handle this by default unless there are good reasons not to
do it.
--

@ 2018-03-09 14:44     ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2018-03-09 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 09.03.2018 um 15:06 schrieb ng0:
> The daemon doesn’t keep logs for failed builds.

I asked this a few month ago and was told this is a bug.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: how to get the path of the logfile after an unsuccesful build?
@ 2018-03-09 14:49       ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2018-03-09 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

Hartmut Goebel transcribed 332 bytes:
> Am 09.03.2018 um 15:06 schrieb ng0:
> > The daemon doesn’t keep logs for failed builds.
>
> I asked this a few month ago and was told this is a bug.
>
> --
> Regards
> Hartmut Goebel
>
> | Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |
> | www.crazy-compilers.com | compilers which you thought are impossible |

Okay, thanks for pointing this out to me.
For now I'll use yet another script.
--

@ 2018-03-09 15:28       ` Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2018-03-09 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel, ng0

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> writes:

> Am 09.03.2018 um 15:06 schrieb ng0:
>> The daemon doesn’t keep logs for failed builds.
>
> I asked this a few month ago and was told this is a bug.

I think it would be great to create a bug report.

* Re: how to get the path of the logfile after an unsuccesful build?
@ 2018-03-09 21:49 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2018-03-09 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

ng0 <ng0@n0.is> writes:

> did we ever talk about that there's too little information on how to get
> the current log file of a failed build? I need this right now (the full log)
> and I can't remember how, and making use of the log folder in var/log/guix/ won't
> help either.

Why won't /var/log/guix help?  To see the most recent build logs for a
given package, say 'icecat', I do this:

  ls -ltr /var/log/guix/drvs/*/*-icecat* | tail

This might not work for offloaded builds, though.

      Mark

* Re: how to get the path of the logfile after an unsuccesful build?
@ 2018-03-10 15:31       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-03-10 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> skribis:

> Am 09.03.2018 um 15:06 schrieb ng0:
>> The daemon doesn’t keep logs for failed builds.
>
> I asked this a few month ago and was told this is a bug.

It does keep build logs even for aborted and failed builds.  If you have
evidence that it doesn’t, then please report it.  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: how to get the path of the logfile after an unsuccesful build?
@ 2018-03-10 22:29         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-03-10 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> skribis:
>
>> Am 09.03.2018 um 15:06 schrieb ng0:
>>> The daemon doesn’t keep logs for failed builds.
>>
>> I asked this a few month ago and was told this is a bug.
>
> It does keep build logs even for aborted and failed builds.  If you have
> evidence that it doesn’t, then please report it.  :-)

Oh, my bad.  I misremembered and didn’t check.

Thanks for the correction!

--
Ricardo

* Re: how to get the path of the logfile after an unsuccesful build?
@ 2018-03-11  6:28 ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-03-11  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

> Hi,
>
> did we ever talk about that there's too little information on how to get
> the current log file of a failed build? I need this right now (the full
> log)
> and I can't remember how, and making use of the log folder in
> var/log/guix/ won't
> help either.

last time I needed to see a build log, I think it was the "-K" option
passed to guix build

If the build fails, you'll see a line at the end, in the terminal,
reminding you that the build log is reachable at a certain location

* Re: how to get the path of the logfile after an unsuccesful build?
@ 2018-03-11  6:46   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-03-11  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

>> Hi,
>>
>> did we ever talk about that there's too little information on how to get
>> the current log file of a failed build? I need this right now (the full
>> log)
>> and I can't remember how, and making use of the log folder in
>> var/log/guix/ won't
>> help either.
>

> last time I needed to see a build log, I think it was the "-K" option
> passed to guix build
>
> If the build fails, you'll see a line at the end, in the terminal,
> reminding you that the build log is reachable at a certain location

Look, there's a manual page about that !

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Debugging-Build-Failures.html#Debugging-Build-Failures

Are we talking about the same thing ?

* Re: how to get the path of the logfile after an unsuccesful build?
@ 2018-03-11  8:11   ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2018-03-11  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: guix-devel

Catonano transcribed 1.7K bytes:

> > Hi,
> >
> > did we ever talk about that there's too little information on how to get
> > the current log file of a failed build? I need this right now (the full
> > log)
> > and I can't remember how, and making use of the log folder in
> > var/log/guix/ won't
> > help either.
>

> last time I needed to see a build log, I think it was the "-K" option
> passed to guix build
>
> If the build fails, you'll see a line at the end, in the terminal,
> reminding you that the build log is reachable at a certain location

Yes, I know. Which is why I got confused, it wasn't there as many times
as I repeated the build. I see if I can reproduce this and open a bug.
--

@ 2018-03-11 11:12     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-03-11 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: guix-devel

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

> Look, there's a manual page about that !
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Debugging-Build-Failures.html#Debugging-Build-Failures
>
> Are we talking about the same thing ?

There is “guix build --log-file” (see the previous manual node).

--
Ricardo

* Re: how to get the path of the logfile after an unsuccesful build?
@ 2018-03-12  0:55   ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2018-03-12  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:

> ng0 <ng0@n0.is> writes:
>
>> did we ever talk about that there's too little information on how to get
>> the current log file of a failed build? I need this right now (the full log)
>> and I can't remember how, and making use of the log folder in var/log/guix/ won't
>> help either.
>
> Why won't /var/log/guix help?  To see the most recent build logs for a
> given package, say 'icecat', I do this:
>
>   ls -ltr /var/log/guix/drvs/*/*-icecat* | tail

I should also mention a few other ways to find a specific log file:

Most importantly, the file names in /var/log/guix/drvs can be easily
derived from the corresponding derivation (.drv) file name.  The first
two characters of hash become the directory name, and the rest becomes
the file name, with ".bz2" added (unless you disabled log compression in
the daemon).  Here's an example .drv file and its corresponding log
file:

_________/gnu/store/8110245r80b1rqpjlf3x33k96h1f8gms-linux-libre-4.15.8.drv
/var/log/guix/drvs/81/10245r80b1rqpjlf3x33k96h1f8gms-linux-libre-4.15.8.drv.bz2

Note that the .drv file names are printed after "The following
derivations will be built".  If you lost the log where that message was
printed, you could run "guix build --dry-run" again, assuming that you
haven't updated Guix since the relevant build attempt.

In typical cases, you might be able to use "guix build --log-file" to
get the log file name, possibly also with "--no-grafts".  You can pass
it either a raw store item /gnu/store/...  or a package specification.

While I'm at it, here are some other tricks for finding logs of
_successful_ builds:

If you find that the log file contains only a single line of the form:

  grafting '/gnu/store/…-foo' -> _

Then it corresponds to a grafted derivation, and you need to find the
original ungrafted derivation.  In most cases this can be done by
running "guix build --log-file /gnu/store/…-foo", passing the first file
name from the "grafting" message.

Alternatively, you could look in the .drv file of the grafting
derivation, which will include the file name of the original ungrafted
derivation among its input derivations.

      Mark

* Re: how to get the path of the logfile after an unsuccesful build?
@ 2018-03-23  4:54     ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-03-23  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel