unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* "guix system -u" and "guix system --list-packages"
@ 2019-04-16 10:41 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-04-16 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

Idea of adding following features to Guix.

1) Dedicated "guix system -u" separated from "guix system reconfigure". So the difference between "guix system reconfigure" and "guix system -u" would be; the former does changes to system configuration (including adding/upgrading system packages) whereas the latter just upgrades system packages without making changes to system configuration.

2) "guix system --list-packages" lists all system packages in current system generation. Could also add additional parameter (like "guix system --list-packages #sys-gen") to list system packages in a different available system generation.

Regards,
RG.

* Re: "guix system -u" and "guix system --list-packages"
@ 2019-04-16 15:34 ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-04-16 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan, guix-devel

Is it now possible to get list of all installed packages such as dependencies for installed packages and packages installed with system configuration? I really do not know yet.

@ 2019-04-16 20:35 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-04-16 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

"Raghav Gururajan" <rvgn@disroot.org> skribis:

> Idea of adding following features to Guix.
>
> 1) Dedicated "guix system -u" separated from "guix system reconfigure". So the difference between "guix system reconfigure" and "guix system -u" would be; the former does changes to system configuration (including adding/upgrading system packages) whereas the latter just upgrades system packages without making changes to system configuration.

This command:

  guix package -p /run/current-system/profile -u

almost does that, but eventually fails because /run/current-system is
read-only.  Hmm…

Now, in principle, upgrading the system profile without upgrading system
services is not a good idea, because it could lead to inconsistencies.

For instance, the GNOME service consists of a set of Shepherd services
and D-Bus services, but it also populates the system profile.  All these
things need to be in sync.

> 2) "guix system --list-packages" lists all system packages in current system generation. Could also add additional parameter (like "guix system --list-packages #sys-gen") to list system packages in a different available system generation.

What about:

  guix package -p /run/current-system/profile -I

?

Thanks,
Ludo’.