unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* core-updates-frozen: Planning for the last world rebuild
@ 2021-09-28 11:57 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-09-28 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Maxim Cournoyer

Hello Guix!

Wouldn’t it be nice to get ‘core-updates-frozen’ merged?  :-)

What about merging the patches blocked by
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/50358>?  We could even have them on a
separate branch, have Cuirass build it, and merge it 24–36h later, at
which point substitute coverage should be reasonably good.

I haven’t followed the new ports, POWER9 and RISC-V.  If there’s
anything needed in this area, like localized toolchain changes, please
send a heads-up!

As I say every time someone proposes a new port, the main issue is not
the port itself but maintaining it longer-term.  And here it’s not even
clear to me what the status of POWER9 is on ‘core-updates-frozen’, so
it’d be great to get feedback on this, ensure Cuirass builds it, and so
on.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: core-updates-frozen: Planning for the last world rebuild
@ 2021-09-28 19:18 John Kehayias
From: John Kehayias @ 2021-09-28 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org, Ludovic Courtès

Hi Ludo’ and Guixers,

Thanks for the good progress on core-updates-frozen (where I'm currently writing from and have nearly everything working as before). Seems like we have a few different bug numbers and threads for the world rebuild. Sorry for repeating from #50860, which I will paste below.

In summary, I also noticed an older bug for Flatpak with p11-kit, as well as p11-kit being out of date. Locally I've tested it builds with the patch and version update and fixes the bug. The configuration change is the same as nix does for p11-kit for the same reason, for what that is worth.

Less critical is Mesa continuing to put out updates, both on 21.1 and now moving to 21.2 (considered stable I believe). I thought we might sneak that in if we're doing lots of rebuilding.

Thanks! Original message with more details below:

Is there anything else with huge rebuilds to push together? I don't want to keep finding and adding things, but two possibilities come to mind that I've just noticed:

1a. p11-kit #49957 https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49957

I've just hit this bug on core-updates-frozen as well, though was originally reported on master. As I noted there, I tried to test with just grafts but didn't fix it for me (I'm guessing grafting won't work with that configure flag change). The patch matches how nix configures p11-kit as well, due to this bug.

1b. p11-kit is also now out of date. The changelog doesn't look substantial or serious, but given the nature of p11-kit I wonder if we want to update it now too. https://github.com/p11-glue/p11-kit/releases/tag/0.24.0

2. (minor) Mesa has had a few more bugfix and major releases since my initial patch for core-updates-frozen. Now at 21.1.8 for the 21.1 branch (we have 21.1.6 currently), but 21.2 has also had stable releases, with 21.2.2. I previously built 21.2.1 and sent a patch for it, and could test 21.2.2 if we want to do that too.

I'm aware this could continue forever, and #2 is likely lower priority. #1, though, should we consider p11-kit a critical update (version, at least) since we're still fixing core-updates-frozen?

John