unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* .po files and git pull --rebase
@ 2014-11-05 17:34 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2014-11-05 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi,

when I try to update my git repository with "git pull --rebase", I get
the error message:

Cannot pull with rebase: You have unstaged changes.
Please commit or stash them.

Now, "git status" tells me that there are the following .po files
which are modified and not staged:

# On branch master
# Changes not staged for commit:
#   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
#   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
#
#    modified:   po/guix/cs.po
#    modified:   po/guix/de.po
#    modified:   po/guix/eo.po
#    modified:   po/guix/hu.po
#    modified:   po/guix/pt_BR.po
#    modified:   po/guix/sr.po
#    modified:   po/guix/vi.po
#    modified:   po/packages/de.po
#    modified:   po/packages/eo.po
#    modified:   po/packages/pt_BR.po
#    modified:   po/packages/sr.po
#    modified:   po/packages/vi.po
#
# Untracked files:
#   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
#
#    doc/os-config.texi

However, I've not intentionally changed those files. I suspect that "make" did.

Is it OK to tell git to ignore those files with:

git update-index --assume-unchanged po/guix/cs.po

Fede

* Re: .po files and git pull --rebase
@ 2014-11-05 20:29 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-05 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> skribis:

> Now, "git status" tells me that there are the following .po files
> which are modified and not staged:
>
> # On branch master
> # Changes not staged for commit:
> #   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
> #   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
> #
> #    modified:   po/guix/cs.po
> #    modified:   po/guix/de.po
> #    modified:   po/guix/eo.po
> #    modified:   po/guix/hu.po

Those files are updated typically when running ‘make dist’ (it’s really
just gettext adjusting the line numbers, adding new translatable
strings, etc.)

It’s safe to discard those changes, for instance with:

  git reset --hard

(Beware, this command discards all uncommitted changes!)

> Is it OK to tell git to ignore those files with:
>
> git update-index --assume-unchanged po/guix/cs.po

I’m not sure what it does but it sounds too low-level.

HTH,
Ludo’.