unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Propagated inputs
@ 2014-11-09 22:25 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2014-11-09 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

polkit builds two libraries, polkit-agent and polkit-gobject. According to
pkg-config, the second one
   Requires: gio-2.0 >= 2.18 glib-2.0 >= 2.18,
while the first one requires nothing.

So I decided to not propagate the glib input (which also contains gio), as
potentially one could use the first library without glib. Or is it our
policy to propagate inputs as soon as any of the built libraries requires
them?

Andreas

* Re: Propagated inputs
@ 2014-11-10 14:18 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-10 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> polkit builds two libraries, polkit-agent and polkit-gobject. According to
> pkg-config, the second one
>    Requires: gio-2.0 >= 2.18 glib-2.0 >= 2.18,
> while the first one requires nothing.
>
> So I decided to not propagate the glib input (which also contains gio), as
> potentially one could use the first library without glib. Or is it our
> policy to propagate inputs as soon as any of the built libraries requires
> them?

Yes, I would rather do that (propagate inputs as soon as one of the
built libraries requires it.)  You can put a comment there explaining
the situation.

Ideally we’d have per-output propagation, so one could put
polkit-gobject in one output and polkit-agent in another and have
different propagated inputs.  But that’s not supported ATM, and maybe
not widely useful.

Ludo’.