unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Porting status
@ 2020-04-09 21:55 Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2020-04-09 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

To accompany the upcoming release I think
it would be cool to add an architecture
porting status page on the web site.

The info is actually scattered between blog
posts, mailing list, IRC logs, git branches...

I'd like to have a clear status of :
* what has been attempted
* what is already working, WIP
* where to find up to date informations
* which branch to use
* any potential performance problems

For (32 / 64, le / be):
- mips
- arm
- powerpc
- i586, i686

etc...

I'm interested, as I have a range of old
non-x86 hardware that is more and more being obsoleted by other
distributions, and I'd like guix
to become a safe haven for such oldies.

WDYT ?

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: Porting status
@ 2020-04-14 10:30 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-04-14 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Vincent Legoll <vincent.legoll@gmail.com> skribis:

> To accompany the upcoming release I think
> it would be cool to add an architecture
> porting status page on the web site.
>
> The info is actually scattered between blog
> posts, mailing list, IRC logs, git branches...
>
> I'd like to have a clear status of :
> * what has been attempted
> * what is already working, WIP
> * where to find up to date informations
> * which branch to use
> * any potential performance problems
>
> For (32 / 64, le / be):
> - mips
> - arm
> - powerpc
> - i586, i686
>
> etc...

I think such a page is bound to become outdated, so I’m reluctant to
adding it.

Also, supporting an architecture has a significant cost (software
maintenance, hardware, CI, etc.).  Thus, we’ll probably only target
reasonably popular architectures, or architectures that are promising
from a free software perspective.

Thanks,
Ludo’.