unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* curl releases and download - package location to add
@ 2016-07-22 16:54 ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-07-22 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: curl-release; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

I'm one of the developers who maintain GNU Guix, the package
manager and its GNU System (GuixSD).

Through our package manager curl is available as sourcecode and
as binary substitute on all supported systems and architectures
which Guix supports at the moment:
https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/master/curl-7.47.0.x86_64-linux
https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/master/curl-7.47.0.i686-linux
https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/master/curl-7.47.0.armhf-linux
https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/master/curl-7.47.0.mips64el-linux

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/#curl is a link to the
static generated package list pointing to the curl entry.
At the same link (currently
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/curl.scm#n41)
you can find the current code for the package.

If you need more information about size, type, package name, or
any other specific details I left out we are happy to provide you
with input.

thanks,
--
♥Ⓐ  ng0 – http://we.make.ritual.n0.is
For non-prism friendly talk find me on http://www.psyced.org

* Re: curl releases and download - package location to add
@ 2016-07-24 14:02 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-07-24 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

[- curl-release@haxx.se]

ng0 <ng0@we.make.ritual.n0.is> skribis:

> I'm one of the developers who maintain GNU Guix, the package
> manager and its GNU System (GuixSD).

I think wording like “I’m a contributor to GNU Guix” might be less
ambiguous (“maintain” might lead the reader to think that you
“represent” the project.)

You did not ask anything in your message, so it’s not clear to me what
you want exactly.  Did you want them to mention Guix on their web site?

My 2¢,
Ludo’.

* Re: curl releases and download - package location to add
@ 2016-07-24 16:50   ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-07-24 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hello!
>
> [- curl-release@haxx.se]
>
> ng0 <ng0@we.make.ritual.n0.is> skribis:
>
>> I'm one of the developers who maintain GNU Guix, the package
>> manager and its GNU System (GuixSD).
>
> I think wording like “I’m a contributor to GNU Guix” might be less
> ambiguous (“maintain” might lead the reader to think that you
> “represent” the project.)

That is true… I did not think of the difference between
maintainer and contributor. I am sorry.

> You did not ask anything in your message, so it’s not clear to me what
> you want exactly.  Did you want them to mention Guix on their web site?
>
> My 2¢,
> Ludo’.

To me the wording of the website[0] on which this address was listed
read for me like this should be obvious when they get messages
like this at this specific address.

Shall I rephrase and sent the message again?

[0]: Bottom of https://curl.haxx.se/download.html
--
♥Ⓐ  ng0
Current Keys: https://we.make.ritual.n0.is/ng0.txt

@ 2016-07-24 16:57     ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-07-24 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 04:50:29PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> To me the wording of the website[0] on which this address was listed
> read for me like this should be obvious when they get messages
> like this at this specific address.
> [0]: Bottom of https://curl.haxx.se/download.html

Indeed, and they got the message - scroll down the page and look for "Guix"!
Now we just need to package the latest stable version to merit a yellow
background, but this should wait until after the core-updates merge.

Thanks for the advertisement, Ng0!

Andreas

* Re: curl releases and download - package location to add
@ 2016-07-24 17:02       ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-07-24 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 06:57:15PM +0200, Andreas Enge wrote:
> Indeed, and they got the message - scroll down the page and look for "Guix"!
> Now we just need to package the latest stable version to merit a yellow
> background, but this should wait until after the core-updates merge.

That's really cool :) I like that they haven't filed us under "binary"
or "source". We transcend the distinction!

> Thanks for the advertisement, Ng0!

+1 !

* Re: curl releases and download - package location to add
@ 2016-07-24 18:01         ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-07-24 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 06:57:15PM +0200, Andreas Enge wrote:
>> Indeed, and they got the message - scroll down the page and look for "Guix"!
>> Now we just need to package the latest stable version to merit a yellow
>> background, but this should wait until after the core-updates merge.
>
> That's really cool :) I like that they haven't filed us under "binary"
> or "source". We transcend the distinction!
>
>> Thanks for the advertisement, Ng0!
>
> +1 !

For next time I know the distinction between maintainer and
contributors, so far I mostly used "who helps to maintain" or
"who works for" and similar wordings, which is not implying that
I am maintaining it.

A logo and link to the Guix website would be nice though.
--

@ 2016-07-24 20:05           ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-07-24 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 06:01:31PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> For next time I know the distinction between maintainer and
> contributors, so far I mostly used "who helps to maintain" or
> "who works for" and similar wordings, which is not implying that
> I am maintaining it.

Well, we are all collectively maintaining it, I would say.
No big deal.

Andreas

* Re: curl releases and download - package location to add
@ 2016-07-25  9:24     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-07-25  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi ng0,

ng0 <ng0@we.make.ritual.n0.is> skribis:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> [- curl-release@haxx.se]
>>
>> ng0 <ng0@we.make.ritual.n0.is> skribis:
>>
>>> I'm one of the developers who maintain GNU Guix, the package
>>> manager and its GNU System (GuixSD).
>>
>> I think wording like “I’m a contributor to GNU Guix” might be less
>> ambiguous (“maintain” might lead the reader to think that you
>> “represent” the project.)
>
> That is true… I did not think of the difference between
> maintainer and contributor. I am sorry.

No problem!

>> You did not ask anything in your message, so it’s not clear to me what
>> you want exactly.  Did you want them to mention Guix on their web site?
>>
>> My 2¢,
>> Ludo’.
>
> To me the wording of the website[0] on which this address was listed
> read for me like this should be obvious when they get messages
> like this at this specific address.

My bad, I hadn’t read this page.

Thanks for emailing them!

Ludo’.