unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* grub with qemu-kvm server fail
@ 2017-04-20  0:14 ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-04-20  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

I already contacted the hoster support, but maybe someone has an idea.

Upon initing GuixSD from a minimal Debian base, I get stuck at this point
about GRUB. The server is aparently a qemu -> kvm one.

guix system: warning: while talking to shepherd: No such file or directory
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
guix system: error: failed to install GRUB on device '/dev/vda'

--
PGP and more: https://people.pragmatique.xyz/ng0/

* Re: grub with qemu-kvm server fail
@ 2017-04-20  2:32 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2017-04-20  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, ng0

Hello ng0,

On April 19, 2017 5:14:13 PM PDT, ng0 <contact.ng0@cryptolab.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I already contacted the hoster support, but maybe someone has an idea.
>
>Upon initing GuixSD from a minimal Debian base, I get stuck at this
>point
>about GRUB. The server is aparently a qemu -> kvm one.
>
>guix system: warning: while talking to shepherd: No such file or
>directory
>Installing for i386-pc platform.
>grub-install: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
>grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be
>installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are
>UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
>grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
>guix system: error: failed to install GRUB on device '/dev/vda'

What kind of device is /dev/vda?

It looks like grub is trying to install itself on an ext2 partition rather than on the device itself (for old school dos partitions that would be in the MBR), and apparently this is not supported. I think I had a similar problem when installing on my personal computer with ext4; I think it was because I had specified a numbered partition rather than the device itself (/dev/sda1 instead of /dev/sda for example).

Maxim

* Re: grub with qemu-kvm server fail
@ 2017-04-20  8:55   ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-04-20  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel

Maxim Cournoyer transcribed 1.3K bytes:
> Hello ng0,
>
> On April 19, 2017 5:14:13 PM PDT, ng0 <contact.ng0@cryptolab.net> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I already contacted the hoster support, but maybe someone has an idea.
> >
> >Upon initing GuixSD from a minimal Debian base, I get stuck at this
> >point
> >about GRUB. The server is aparently a qemu -> kvm one.
> >
> >guix system: warning: while talking to shepherd: No such file or
> >directory
> >Installing for i386-pc platform.
> >grub-install: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
> >grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be
> >installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are
> >UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
> >grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
> >guix system: error: failed to install GRUB on device '/dev/vda'
>
> What kind of device is /dev/vda?

If I knew, I would've succeeded. I asked if there were any special requirements to the server ;)

There was just /dev/vda, no partitionsm, in a ready to be used system.

Of course in grub-configuration I wrote "/dev/vda" and in the file-systems the same.

--

@ 2017-04-20  9:58     ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-04-20  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer, guix-devel

ng0 transcribed 1.6K bytes:
> Maxim Cournoyer transcribed 1.3K bytes:
> > Hello ng0,
> >
> > On April 19, 2017 5:14:13 PM PDT, ng0 <contact.ng0@cryptolab.net> wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I already contacted the hoster support, but maybe someone has an idea.
> > >
> > >Upon initing GuixSD from a minimal Debian base, I get stuck at this
> > >point
> > >about GRUB. The server is aparently a qemu -> kvm one.
> > >
> > >guix system: warning: while talking to shepherd: No such file or
> > >directory
> > >Installing for i386-pc platform.
> > >grub-install: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
> > >grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be
> > >installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are
> > >UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
> > >grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
> > >guix system: error: failed to install GRUB on device '/dev/vda'
> >
> > What kind of device is /dev/vda?
>
> If I knew, I would've succeeded. I asked if there were any special requirements to the server ;)

And now I know:

"If you chose an autoinstall then there is no GRUB being used, the bootloader uses a kernel residing on the host."

But I have options to proceed.

> There was just /dev/vda, no partitionsm, in a ready to be used system.
>
> Of course in grub-configuration I wrote "/dev/vda" and in the file-systems the same.
>
> > It looks like grub is trying to install itself on an ext2 partition rather than on the device itself (for old school dos partitions that would be in the MBR), and apparently this is not supported. I think I had a similar problem when installing on my personal computer with ext4; I think it was because I had specified a numbered partition rather than the device itself (/dev/sda1 instead of /dev/sda for example).
> >
> > Maxim

Thanks!
--

@ 2017-04-20 15:16       ` Maxim Cournoyer