unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Update the Guix package/version
@ 2018-04-23  8:50 Roel Janssen
From: Roel Janssen @ 2018-04-23  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Dear Guix,

What's the decision process for updating the ‘guix’ package revision,
like in commit b1fb247b?

The reason I ask this is because I'd like to bump the revision so that
the changes from 5cefb13d to ‘guix-daemon’ are available when I install
‘guix’ in a profile.

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen

* Re: Update the Guix package/version
@ 2018-04-23 15:51 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-04-23 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roel Janssen; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> skribis:

> What's the decision process for updating the ‘guix’ package revision,
> like in commit b1fb247b?

There’s no real process, just do it when there’s a good reason to do it.

> The reason I ask this is because I'd like to bump the revision so that
> the changes from 5cefb13d to ‘guix-daemon’ are available when I install
> ‘guix’ in a profile.

Makes sense!

Note that you can run “make update-guix-package” to do the work.  Be
sure to do that from a commit that is available on Savannah.  And of
course, make sure the package builds locally.  :-)

HTH,
Ludo’.

* Re: Update the Guix package/version
@ 2018-04-23 22:40   ` Roel Janssen
From: Roel Janssen @ 2018-04-23 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> skribis:
>
>> What's the decision process for updating the ‘guix’ package revision,
>> like in commit b1fb247b?
>
> There’s no real process, just do it when there’s a good reason to do it.
>
>> The reason I ask this is because I'd like to bump the revision so that
>> the changes from 5cefb13d to ‘guix-daemon’ are available when I install
>> ‘guix’ in a profile.
>
> Makes sense!
>
> Note that you can run “make update-guix-package” to do the work.  Be
> sure to do that from a commit that is available on Savannah.  And of
> course, make sure the package builds locally.  :-)

Cool! I didn't know about this build step.  May I commit the change, so
that I won't end up with an ambiguous revision number later on?

Thanks!

@ 2018-04-25 12:11     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-04-25 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roel Janssen; +Cc: guix-devel

Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> skribis:
>>
>>> What's the decision process for updating the ‘guix’ package revision,
>>> like in commit b1fb247b?
>>
>> There’s no real process, just do it when there’s a good reason to do it.
>>
>>> The reason I ask this is because I'd like to bump the revision so that
>>> the changes from 5cefb13d to ‘guix-daemon’ are available when I install
>>> ‘guix’ in a profile.
>>
>> Makes sense!
>>
>> Note that you can run “make update-guix-package” to do the work.  Be
>> sure to do that from a commit that is available on Savannah.  And of
>> course, make sure the package builds locally.  :-)
>
> Cool! I didn't know about this build step.  May I commit the change, so
> that I won't end up with an ambiguous revision number later on?

Sure if you have an update based on an upstream commit that builds,
you’re welcome to push it.

Perhaps you can also run “guix build -S guix --check” to be 100% sure
that the commit and hash are correct.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Update the Guix package/version
@ 2018-04-25 12:50       ` Roel Janssen
From: Roel Janssen @ 2018-04-25 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> skribis:

>>> There’s no real process, just do it when there’s a good reason to do it.

>>> Makes sense!
>>>
>>> Note that you can run “make update-guix-package” to do the work.  Be
>>> sure to do that from a commit that is available on Savannah.  And of
>>> course, make sure the package builds locally.  :-)
>>
>> Cool! I didn't know about this build step.  May I commit the change, so
>> that I won't end up with an ambiguous revision number later on?
>
> Sure if you have an update based on an upstream commit that builds,
> you’re welcome to push it.
>
> Perhaps you can also run “guix build -S guix --check” to be 100% sure
> that the commit and hash are correct.

I did:
$ git reset --hard
$ git pull
$ make update-guix-package
$ guix build -S guix --check
$ guix build guix

And after verifying that all went fine, I then pushed the change in
5b862761f.

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen