unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* New Guix reference card
@ 2018-10-19 13:40 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-10-19 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, help-guix

Hello Guix!

I’ve written a reference card for Guix, which you can find here:

  https://gnu.org/s/guix/guix-refcard.pdf

The source is at:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/doc/refcard

It’s written using the Lout document formatting system, so I provided a
simple build file such that you just have to run:

  guix build -f build.scm

I initially tried to do this in plain TeX based on the Org-mode and GDB
refcards, on the grounds that people were more likely to be familiar
with TeX, but that turned out to be too tricky for me and I’m just more
fluent in Lout than in TeX.

Enjoy, share, and improve!  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: New Guix reference card
@ 2018-10-19 14:58 ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-19 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, help-guix

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 10:45 AM Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello Guix!
>
> I’ve written a reference card for Guix, which you can find here:
>
>   https://gnu.org/s/guix/guix-refcard.pdf
Thanks! I find it really useful. I did not know you call them
reference card, I generally call them cheatsheets

> The source is at:
>
>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/doc/refcard
>
> It’s written using the Lout document formatting system, so I provided a
> simple build file such that you just have to run:
>
>   guix build -f build.scm
>
> I initially tried to do this in plain TeX based on the Org-mode and GDB
> refcards, on the grounds that people were more likely to be familiar
> with TeX, but that turned out to be too tricky for me and I’m just more
> fluent in Lout than in TeX.
>
> Enjoy, share, and improve!  :-)
>
> Ludo’.

* Re: New Guix reference card
@ 2018-10-20  9:34   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-10-20  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, help-guix

Hi Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> skribis:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 10:45 AM Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>> I’ve written a reference card for Guix, which you can find here:
>>
>>   https://gnu.org/s/guix/guix-refcard.pdf
> Thanks! I find it really useful. I did not know you call them
> reference card, I generally call them cheatsheets

Yeah I guess both terms work.  :-)  I’m glad you find it useful!

Ludo’.

* Re: New Guix reference card
@ 2018-10-20 20:05 ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-10-20 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, help-guix

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> I’ve written a reference card for Guix, which you can find here:
>
>   https://gnu.org/s/guix/guix-refcard.pdf
>
> The source is at:
>
>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/doc/refcard

Excellent!  I was actually thinking about making something like this to
share with people at my upcoming talk at SeaGL, but maybe I'll just
steal yours, instead.  :-)

I see that the second page is mostly blank.  Is that intended?

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: New Guix reference card
@ 2018-10-22  2:44   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2018-10-22  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel, help-guix

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 01:05:18PM -0700, Chris Marusich wrote:
> I see that the second page is mostly blank.  Is that intended?

I think it's meant to be the back of a printed card. It would be great
to have a stack of these for FOSDEM :)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: New Guix reference card
@ 2018-10-22  9:31     ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-22  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: Guix-devel, help-guix

Hello Leo,

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 22., H, 4:56):

> I think it's meant to be the back of a printed card. It would be great
> to have a stack of these for FOSDEM :)

How big stack are you thinking about? Maybe I can help there :)
g_bor

* Re: New Guix reference card
@ 2018-10-22 12:23     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-10-22 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel, help-guix

Hello!

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 01:05:18PM -0700, Chris Marusich wrote:
>> I see that the second page is mostly blank.  Is that intended?
>
> I think it's meant to be the back of a printed card.

Exactly!  If you don’t have a double-sided printer, you can obviously
skip the second page.

Or, if you do have a double-sided printer but still find the second page
to be too empty, you could add stuff about ‘guix system’ there.  Hint,
hint!  ;-)

Chris, note that you may want to modify ‘refcard-style.lout’ to use
Letter rather than A4, but then the layout may need to be tweaked.
(Alternately find yourself a bunch of A4 sheets.  ;-))

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> skribis:

> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 22., H, 4:56):
>>
>> I think it's meant to be the back of a printed card. It would be great
>> to have a stack of these for FOSDEM :)
>
> How big stack are you thinking about? Maybe I can help there :)

I suppose that’ll depend on whether we get a booth!  But anyway, we
could bring some in the pre-FOSDEM Guix workshop as well as in the
devrooms where we present Guix.

Thanks,
Ludo’.