unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Re: 01/02: tests: Increase root partitions size to 2G.
       [not found] ` <20181128090244.04E58209C4@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2018-11-28  9:49   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-11-28  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Mathieu Othacehe

Hi Mathieu,

guix-commits@gnu.org skribis:

> commit 839f26d94b63649a1acef4217bb41cf68c59bc92
> Author: Mathieu Othacehe <m.othacehe@gmail.com>
> Date:   Wed Nov 28 17:22:19 2018 +0900
>
>     tests: Increase root partitions size to 2G.
>
>     The graphical installer adds dependencies to installation image so increase
>     root partitions size to 2G.

As discussed in <https://issues.guix.info/issue/32966#5>, the “1G” bit
is somewhat part of the test: it ensures a bare-bones install doesn’t
take more than that.  So I’d really like to keep it like this.

On current master this is barely enough, so sometimes tests pass and
sometimes they don’t because we’re very close to that limit.  After
‘core-updates’ is merged it should be fine though because we’ll have a
single ‘guile’ package in the store.

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: 01/02: tests: Increase root partitions size to 2G.
@ 2018-11-28 10:19     ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2018-11-28 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ludo,

> As discussed in <https://issues.guix.info/issue/32966#5>, the “1G” bit
> is somewhat part of the test: it ensures a bare-bones install doesn’t
> take more than that.  So I’d really like to keep it like this.

Hmm, I think I understand the problem, I added a few packages in
'installation-os' for font management in kmscon (fontconfig, font-dejavu
and font-gnu-unifont) and they end-up in the disk-image via
'operating-system-add-packages' call.

So maybe I should remove them in (gnu tests install) to avoid increasing
the limit, WDYT?

Thanks,

Mathieu

* Re: 01/02: tests: Increase root partitions size to 2G.
@ 2018-11-28 14:43       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-11-28 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

Mathieu Othacehe <m.othacehe@gmail.com> skribis:

>> As discussed in <https://issues.guix.info/issue/32966#5>, the “1G” bit
>> is somewhat part of the test: it ensures a bare-bones install doesn’t
>> take more than that.  So I’d really like to keep it like this.
>
> Hmm, I think I understand the problem, I added a few packages in
> 'installation-os' for font management in kmscon (fontconfig, font-dejavu
> and font-gnu-unifont) and they end-up in the disk-image via
> 'operating-system-add-packages' call.

But they don’t end up in the installed system, do they?  Normally we
install bare-bones.tmpl as is, right?

> So maybe I should remove them in (gnu tests install) to avoid increasing
> the limit, WDYT?

Dunno, it seems to me that the limit this commit modifies is that of the
installed system (i.e., bare-bones), not that of the installer itself.

That said, we should also be careful about the size of the installer, so
it’s worth running ‘guix size’ to check how much these packages add and
whether we can strip that.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: 01/02: tests: Increase root partitions size to 2G.
@ 2018-11-29  3:14         ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2018-11-29  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hey Ludo,

> But they don’t end up in the installed system, do they?  Normally we
> install bare-bones.tmpl as is, right?

Ah! You're right I was mixing up what belonged to the install disk-image
and what ended-up in the installed system, my bad!

> That said, we should also be careful about the size of the installer, so
> it’s worth running ‘guix size’ to check how much these packages add and
> whether we can strip that.

Ok, I has a look and the only big additions (connman + kmscon + fonts
packages) do not have a significant impact on the disk-image size.

I'll revert this commit on the branch, sorry for my misunderstanding.

Mathieu

* Re: 01/02: tests: Increase root partitions size to 2G.
@ 2018-11-29 10:40           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-11-29 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: guix-devel

Mathieu Othacehe <m.othacehe@gmail.com> skribis:

>> But they don’t end up in the installed system, do they?  Normally we
>> install bare-bones.tmpl as is, right?
>
> Ah! You're right I was mixing up what belonged to the install disk-image
> and what ended-up in the installed system, my bad!
>
>> That said, we should also be careful about the size of the installer, so
>> it’s worth running ‘guix size’ to check how much these packages add and
>> whether we can strip that.
>
> Ok, I has a look and the only big additions (connman + kmscon + fonts
> packages) do not have a significant impact on the disk-image size.
>
> I'll revert this commit on the branch, sorry for my misunderstanding.

OK, no problem!

Thank you,
Ludo’.