unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* New videos: topic daily use.
@ 2019-02-06 18:39 Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-02-06 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi Guix!

How are you?
My next video will be about daily using of Guix.
I was thinking of daily use of guix package, mentioning profile,
generations (both the concepts and commands to deal with them), but
also about guix pull and guix gc.
The videos should be about 3 min length (+/-) 1.
Do you think that they should be included in the same video or split
them in two?

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: New videos: topic daily use.
@ 2019-02-06 22:17 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-02-06 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> My next video will be about daily using of Guix.

Neat!

> I was thinking of daily use of guix package, mentioning profile,
> generations (both the concepts and commands to deal with them)

Sounds good.  “--install”, “--roll-back”, and maybe even “--manifest”
for stateless installations would be good topics to cover.

> but
> also about guix pull and guix gc.
> The videos should be about 3 min length (+/-) 1.
> Do you think that they should be included in the same video or split
> them in two?

I think “guix pull” deserves its own video, because it can be combined
with channels.

Same with “guix gc”, because it has a bunch of features other than
garbage collection.

--
Ricardo

* Re: New videos: topic daily use.
@ 2019-02-07 14:57   ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-02-07 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!
On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 7:17 PM Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> > I was thinking of daily use of guix package, mentioning profile,
> > generations (both the concepts and commands to deal with them)
>
> Sounds good.  “--install”, “--roll-back”, and maybe even “--manifest”
> for stateless installations would be good topics to cover.
What about --list-generaitions, --delete-generations?
-url-substitutes? Or are they too much / go whith gc?

* Re: New videos: topic daily use.
@ 2019-02-07 15:48     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-02-07 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 7:17 PM Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
>
>> > I was thinking of daily use of guix package, mentioning profile,
>> > generations (both the concepts and commands to deal with them)
>>
>> Sounds good.  “--install”, “--roll-back”, and maybe even “--manifest”
>> for stateless installations would be good topics to cover.
> What about --list-generaitions, --delete-generations?
> -url-substitutes? Or are they too much / go whith gc?

I would skip “--substitute-urls” because it’s not a very common thing to
change.  “--list-generations” and “--delete-generations” could very well
be part of the video on “guix package”.

--
Ricardo

* Re: New videos: topic daily use.
@ 2019-02-08  9:20   ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2019-02-08  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Wed, 06 Feb 2019 23:17:21 +0100
Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> Hi Laura,
>
> > My next video will be about daily using of Guix.
>
> Neat!

+1

> > I was thinking of daily use of guix package, mentioning profile,
> > generations (both the concepts and commands to deal with them)
>
> Sounds good.  “--install”, “--roll-back”, and maybe even “--manifest”
> for stateless installations would be good topics to cover.

Is "--manifest" really "daily use" for a Guix newbie? I would disagree
and first stick to the "--install" --"remove "--rollback"
"--list-generations" mode.

> > but
> > also about guix pull and guix gc.
> > The videos should be about 3 min length (+/-) 1.
> > Do you think that they should be included in the same video or split
> > them in two?
>
> I think “guix pull” deserves its own video, because it can be combined
> with channels.

I would mention the simplest version of "guix pull", i.e. the way it is
set up by default with the "default" channel. I think it is a really
important tool, compared to "apt-get update" on Debian.

We can then put the more complicated parts like channels into another
video, but I think that a simple "guix pull" MUST be in here.

> Same with “guix gc”, because it has a bunch of features other than
> garbage collection.

I have no strong opinion here.

Björn

* Re: New videos: topic daily use.
@ 2019-02-08 17:43     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-02-08 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel

Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> writes:

>> > I was thinking of daily use of guix package, mentioning profile,
>> > generations (both the concepts and commands to deal with them)
>>
>> Sounds good.  “--install”, “--roll-back”, and maybe even “--manifest”
>> for stateless installations would be good topics to cover.
>
> Is "--manifest" really "daily use" for a Guix newbie? I would disagree
> and first stick to the "--install" --"remove "--rollback"
> "--list-generations" mode.

You’re probably right.  I keep recommending the use of manifests here at
work, but I suppose this could be explained in another video (with a
focus on reproducibility maybe).

--
Ricardo

* Re: New videos: topic daily use.
@ 2019-02-08 18:15     ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2019-02-08 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling, Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel

Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> writes:

> On Wed, 06 Feb 2019 23:17:21 +0100
> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

[...]

>> Sounds good.  “--install”, “--roll-back”, and maybe even “--manifest”
>> for stateless installations would be good topics to cover.
>
> Is "--manifest" really "daily use" for a Guix newbie?

it *should* be, it's strongly advised: using manifests has a _very_
little learning curve, it's a **huge** enhancement at a very little
cost; every Guix user *must* know this from the very beginning

at first a newbie *could* not fully understand and appreciate this, but
this distinguishing feature must stimulate each and every newbie to
understand the underling concept of declarative stateless installation

...aka: Guix is very smart as a package manager (with rollbacks too!),
but it'm much more than a package manager

...just my two cents :-)

[...]

Thanks!
Giovanni

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: New videos: topic daily use.
@ 2019-02-08 23:13       ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2019-02-08 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel, Guix-devel

On 2019-02-08 18:43, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

>>> Sounds good.  “--install”, “--roll-back”, and maybe even “--manifest”
>>> for stateless installations would be good topics to cover.
>>
>> Is "--manifest" really "daily use" for a Guix newbie? I would disagree
>> and first stick to the "--install" --"remove "--rollback"
>> "--list-generations" mode.
>
> You’re probably right.  I keep recommending the use of manifests here
> at
> work, but I suppose this could be explained in another video (with a
> focus on reproducibility maybe).

I am also looking for a video about manifests.

--
Amirouche ~ amz3 ~ http://www.hyperdev.fr

* Re: New videos: topic daily use.
@ 2019-02-10 17:14         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-02-10 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amirouche Boubekki; +Cc: Guix-devel, Guix-devel

Hi Guix!Since tomorrow we have our 15 min final discussion, sth came
into my mind while reading the documentation again

> I am also looking for a video about manifests.
 WDYT about mentioning how powerful a manifest is, but let the "CLI
session" maybe for another video. For example, when mentioning the
basics, just say "instead of installing each package one by one, or if
you want to have your profile generated once, or have it in several
machines, then a manifest is a good idea" (doesn't have to be that
sentence).
Think about it for tomorrow's discussion :)

@ 2019-02-10 18:04           ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-02-10 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amirouche Boubekki; +Cc: Guix-devel, Guix-devel

Another important IMHO for tomorrow's discussion which I guess I did
not mention but is quite useful and came to my mind : --list-installed
 :)
Regards!
Laura