unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Outdated avr-toolchain
@ 2020-10-30  7:17 Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2020-10-30  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Our avr-toolchain is very old and outdated. Our version is 5.5.0,
whereas the latest seems to be 10.2.0. We also have multiple versions of
the avr-toolchain packages along with functions to produce those
multiple versions. Can we remove these functions and different versions,
and keep only one latest version of the avr-toolchain?

I have an old patchset[1] to this effect, but I didn't want to proceed
without a discussion. I was concerned that there might be a use, for all
these different versions, that I did not comprehend.

[1]: https://issues.guix.info/issue/39918

Thanks,
Arun

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Outdated avr-toolchain
@ 2020-10-30  8:52 ` Danny Milosavljevic
From: Danny Milosavljevic @ 2020-10-30  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 12:47:18 +0530
Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> wrote:

> Our avr-toolchain is very old and outdated. Our version is 5.5.0,
> whereas the latest seems to be 10.2.0. We also have multiple versions of
> the avr-toolchain packages along with functions to produce those
> multiple versions. Can we remove these functions and different versions,
> and keep only one latest version of the avr-toolchain?

As one of the people using avr-toolchain, +1

> I have an old patchset[1] to this effect, but I didn't want to proceed
> without a discussion. I was concerned that there might be a use, for all
> these different versions, that I did not comprehend.

I don't think so.  The AVRs are so tiny and development using them is usually
done by copying library source code into your project, so I cannot see any
reason to care about different gcc versions for AVR.

avrdude is another matter--it's very easy to break that if you don't actually
test it.

* Re: Outdated avr-toolchain
@ 2020-11-01 19:05   ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2020-11-01 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)