unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Sound volume in XFCE
@ 2015-08-30 11:07 白い熊@相撲道
From: 白い熊@相撲道 @ 2015-08-30 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

How do I control sound volume in XFCE? guix package doesn't show me any
XFCE plugins I could install, none come installed by default.

I'm fine manipulating volume via alsamixer, however would like the
little panel plugin so I increase/decrease volume there directly.

Or is my XFCE install borked? When I click on the Applications start
menu, many items are missing icons etc, which shouldn't be the case.
--
白い熊@相撲道

* Re: Sound volume in XFCE
@ 2015-08-30 12:07 ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2015-08-30 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 白い熊@相撲道,
	guix-devel

白い熊@相撲道 <guix-devel_gnu.org@sumou.com> writes:

> How do I control sound volume in XFCE? guix package doesn't show me any
> XFCE plugins I could install, none come installed by default.
We don't have xfce4-mixer.  it realying on old gstreamer-0.10 (removed)
and "not maintained anymore".
  (http://www.xfce.org/about/news/?post=1425081600)

> I'm fine manipulating volume via alsamixer, however would like the
> little panel plugin so I increase/decrease volume there directly.
If you really need it, feel free to bring gstreamer-0.10 back, then package
the xfce4-mixer.  But I'd like try 'xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin' (comming
soon :-)

> Or is my XFCE install borked? When I click on the Applications start
> menu, many items are missing icons etc, which shouldn't be the case.
It's not broken, but the default settings haven't be tricked.
You should change the icon theme to gnome in 'xfce4-apperance-settings'.

* Re: Sound volume in XFCE
@ 2015-08-30 13:07   ` 白い熊@相撲道
From: 白い熊@相撲道 @ 2015-08-30 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 宋文武; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2015-08-30 14:07, 宋文武 wrote:
>> I'm fine manipulating volume via alsamixer, however would like the
>> little panel plugin so I increase/decrease volume there directly.
> If you really need it, feel free to bring gstreamer-0.10 back, then
> package
> the xfce4-mixer.  But I'd like try 'xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin' (comming
> soon :-)

I'm not proficient enough in Guix yet to do this. I'll wait for
'xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin' :O)

>> Or is my XFCE install borked? When I click on the Applications start
>> menu, many items are missing icons etc, which shouldn't be the case.
> It's not broken, but the default settings haven't be tricked.
> You should change the icon theme to gnome in
> 'xfce4-apperance-settings'.

Thanks for the tip, this works.
--
白い熊@相撲道

* Re: Sound volume in XFCE
@ 2015-08-30 17:28     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-08-30 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 白い熊@相撲道; +Cc: guix-devel

白い熊@相撲道 <guix-devel_gnu.org@sumou.com> skribis:

> I'm not proficient enough in Guix yet to do this. I'll wait for
> 'xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin' :O)

Or you can use ‘pavucontrol’.

Ludo’.

* Re: Sound volume in XFCE
@ 2015-08-31 10:20       ` 白い熊@相撲道
From: 白い熊@相撲道 @ 2015-08-31 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2015-08-30 19:28, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
> 白い熊@相撲道 <guix-devel_gnu.org@sumou.com> skribis:
>
>> I'm not proficient enough in Guix yet to do this. I'll wait for
>> 'xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin' :O)
>
> Or you can use ‘pavucontrol’.

Thanks, didn't know about this. It works.
--
白い熊@相撲道