unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Introducing myself as an Outreachy Intern
@ 2018-04-25  6:27 Sahitihi
From: Sahitihi @ 2018-04-25  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi all,

I Sahithi Yarlagadda, a Free Software enthusiast. I am from India,
pursuing my under graduation final semester in Computer Science. I will
be working as an Outreachy Intern for May-August 2018. I am glad to be
part of Guix Community. I have been working with Ricardo Wurmus during
the application process. He helped me in understanding and working with
Guix. Community has given a great support, expecting the same till the end.

During the process of application, The following are the few tasks that
I worked out

1. Adding package definitions like r-dyn, r-catdap, r-abc to CRAN Packages .

2. Printed colored strings on terminal using Scheme code

3. Looked at scheme code to find out build output is printed.

Regards,

Sahithi

* Re: Introducing myself as an Outreachy Intern
@ 2018-04-25 12:26 ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-04-25 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sahitihi; +Cc: guix-devel

> Hi all,
>
> I Sahithi Yarlagadda, a Free Software enthusiast. I am from India,
> pursuing my under graduation final semester in Computer Science. I will
> be

Hi Sahithi

Welcome !

> 1. Adding package definitions like r-dyn, r-catdap, r-abc to CRAN Packages
> .
>
> 2. Printed colored strings on terminal using Scheme code
>
> 3. Looked at scheme code to find out build output is printed.

Great !

What will you be working on during your internship ?

Maybe making the output of the build command more human ?

Best whishes !
Catonano

* Re: Introducing myself as an Outreachy Intern
@ 2018-04-25 15:38 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-04-25 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sahitihi; +Cc: guix-devel

Welcome Sahithi!

> I Sahithi Yarlagadda, a Free Software enthusiast. I am from India,
> pursuing my under graduation final semester in Computer Science. I will
> be working as an Outreachy Intern for May-August 2018. I am glad to be
> part of Guix Community. I have been working with Ricardo Wurmus during
> the application process. He helped me in understanding and working with
> Guix. Community has given a great support, expecting the same till the end.

In my experience, this community is very supportive, patient, and
friendly.  I’m sure you will find the same.  I’m looking forward to
working with you and hope you’ll enjoy the experience.  Feel free to ask
questions by sending email to guix-devel@gnu.org — chances are that
someone else has the same question but didn’t dare to ask.

To the rest of the Guix community: please welcome Sahithi and support
this project by answering questions on IRC or here on the list.

I should add that Sahithi will be working on the project “Improve the
user experience for the "guix package" command line tool”, which will
address some of the major and minor problems that the command line
interface currently has.  I’m the primary mentor for this project, and
Gábor has volunteered to be co-mentor.  Thank you, Gábor!

--
Ricardo

* Re: Introducing myself as an Outreachy Intern
@ 2018-04-25 19:07   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-04-25 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Sahitihi, Guix-devel

> Welcome Sahithi!
>
> > I Sahithi Yarlagadda, a Free Software enthusiast. I am from India,
> > pursuing my under graduation final semester in Computer Science. I will
> > be working as an Outreachy Intern for May-August 2018. I am glad to be
> > part of Guix Community. I have been working with Ricardo Wurmus during
> > the application process. He helped me in understanding and working with
> > Guix. Community has given a great support, expecting the same till the
> end.
>
> In my experience, this community is very supportive, patient, and
> friendly.  I’m sure you will find the same.  I’m looking forward to
> working with you and hope you’ll enjoy the experience.  Feel free to ask
> questions by sending email to guix-devel@gnu.org — chances are that
> someone else has the same question but didn’t dare to ask.
>
> To the rest of the Guix community: please welcome Sahithi and support
> this project by answering questions on IRC or here on the list.
>
> I should add that Sahithi will be working on the project “Improve the
> user experience for the "guix package" command line tool”, which will
> address some of the major and minor problems that the command line
> interface currently has.  I’m the primary mentor for this project, and
> Gábor has volunteered to be co-mentor.  Thank you, Gábor!

Welcome Sahithi!

I'm looking forward to working with you. I'm Gábor, and I am
co-mentoring the project. My ICR

From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-04-25 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Sahitihi, Guix-devel

@ 2018-04-26 12:35   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-04-26 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Sahitihi, guix-devel

Hello!

Welcome to Guix, Sahitihi!  I hope this will be a pleasant and fruitful
experience for you.

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> To the rest of the Guix community: please welcome Sahithi and support
> this project by answering questions on IRC or here on the list.

+1

Sahitihi, please do not hesitate to ask questions on IRC or on the
mailing lists when you’re unsure about something or are looking for
help.  I’m sure people in the group will happily give a hand and provide
guidance.

Happy hacking!  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Introducing myself as an Outreachy Intern
@ 2018-05-04 15:29   ` Christopher Lemmer Webber
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2018-05-04 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Sahitihi, guix-devel

Ricardo Wurmus writes:

> Welcome Sahithi!
>
>> I Sahithi Yarlagadda, a Free Software enthusiast. I am from India,
>> pursuing my under graduation final semester in Computer Science. I will
>> be working as an Outreachy Intern for May-August 2018. I am glad to be
>> part of Guix Community. I have been working with Ricardo Wurmus during
>> the application process. He helped me in understanding and working with
>> Guix. Community has given a great support, expecting the same till the end.

Hello Sahithi!  I'm very excited to have you joining our community!

> In my experience, this community is very supportive, patient, and
> friendly.  I’m sure you will find the same.  I’m looking forward to
> working with you and hope you’ll enjoy the experience.  Feel free to ask
> questions by sending email to guix-devel@gnu.org — chances are that
> someone else has the same question but didn’t dare to ask.

This has been my experience also.  I think "not being afraid to ask" is
one of the biggest challenges, in my experience, for students coming in
from Google Summer of Code or Outreachy.

Luckily you have a realy great mentor, and people here are generally
very happy to answer questions!

> To the rest of the Guix community: please welcome Sahithi and support
> this project by answering questions on IRC or here on the list.

Horray!  Welcome!  (Wait, I already said that, but welcome again!)

> I should add that Sahithi will be working on the project “Improve the
> user experience for the "guix package" command line tool”, which will
> address some of the major and minor problems that the command line
> interface currently has.  I’m the primary mentor for this project, and
> Gábor has volunteered to be co-mentor.  Thank you, Gábor!

Oh!  This is very exciting!