unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Statement from the Guix maintainers regarding recent events
@ 2022-03-01 15:25 Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-03-01 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi everyone,

Given the recent action from one community member on this list that led
to multiple people feeling hurt or uneasy about the whole situation, we,
the Guix maintainers collective, would like to reaffirm our commitment
to protect our community against such actions.

The Guix community has historically been a very inclusive, welcoming and
safe harbor for everyone to enjoy hacking together, and we'd like it to
remain that way.  The Code of Conduct that everyone interacting in our
community implicitly agrees to follow has demonstrated its usefulness in
keeping the (thankfully rare) abusive actors at bay.

To reduce the chance of a similar situation reoccurring in the future,
the Guix maintainers have acted on the following:

* The person who lacked judgment and caused hurt by repeatedly pushing
  their exclusionary views onto our community have been removed from the
  trusted list, meaning each of their messages will now have to go
  through moderation.

* Our Code of Conduct copy has been upgraded to its latest version.

* A header to the Code of Conduct now mentions any
  suggestions/discussion with regard to the Code of Conduct should now
  go through the Guix maintainers rather than in the public fora.

We hope that we as a community can grow stronger and more united in the
aftermath of this regrettable event.

Sincerely,

Maxim
On behalf of the Guix maintainers

* Re: Statement from the Guix maintainers regarding recent events
@ 2022-03-01 17:39 ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2022-03-01 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Thanks for the decision you have taken here, it was a difficult one.

From my side I want to publicly apologize to those who thought
(very accurately) my tone was harsh.

That being said, it looks like we reached some understanding
together and that's a reason for celebration.

I hope we keep in the good direction.

Thanks for handling this.

Ekaitz

* Re: Statement from the Guix maintainers regarding recent events
@ 2022-03-01 20:46 ` Kaelyn
From: Kaelyn @ 2022-03-01 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Maxim Cournoyer

Hi Maxim and the other Guix maintainers,

As a new-ish Guix user, fledgling contributer, and fairly quiet list member for whom those recent discussions hit close to home, I would like to thank you all for your handling of the situation. I also thank you for sending the statement about the resolution of the events. The threads were emotionally too difficult for me to keep following them, and seeing this statement has again re-affirmed my faith in the Guix community and the consideration and respect I have observed in it over the past nine months. Again, I give you my heart-felt thanks.

Cheers,
Kaelyn

* Re: Statement from the Guix maintainers regarding recent events
@ 2022-03-02  4:06 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2022-03-02  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer, guix-devel

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> * The person who lacked judgment and caused hurt by repeatedly pushing
>   their exclusionary views onto our community have been removed from the
>   trusted list, meaning each of their messages will now have to go
>   through moderation.

Can you please cite the specific language in our Code of Conduct[*] that
you believe justifies this enforcement action, along with the offending
quotes by the accused person?

      Thanks,
        Mark

[*] Specifically, the version that was in force at the time of the
    alleged violations.
--
Disinformation flourishes because many people care deeply about injustice
but very few check the facts.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>.

* Re: Statement from the Guix maintainers regarding recent events
@ 2022-03-02  5:26   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2022-03-02  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Mark H Weaver, Maxim Cournoyer

Hi Mark,

Maxim wasn't directly involved.  Neither was the CoC.  I was.

If you're really curious about what happened you can read the past days' archived threads in which Taylan participated.

We're not going to rehash them here.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

* Re: Statement from the Guix maintainers regarding recent events
@ 2022-03-02  5:54   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-03-02  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Mark,

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> * The person who lacked judgment and caused hurt by repeatedly pushing
>>   their exclusionary views onto our community have been removed from the
>>   trusted list, meaning each of their messages will now have to go
>>   through moderation.
>
> Can you please cite the specific language in our Code of Conduct[*] that
> you believe justifies this enforcement action, along with the offending
> quotes by the accused person?

Let's not rehash the story yet again.  I think the archived thread
speaks for itself.  If not, you can contact us guix-maintainers
privately if there is really something unclear or which needs further
explaining, and I'll do my best to answer your questions there.

Thank you,

Maxim

* Re: Statement from the Guix maintainers regarding recent events
@ 2022-03-14 13:31     ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2022-03-14 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, guix-devel, Mark H Weaver, Maxim Cournoyer