unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Doc: reference to guix-devel for submitting patches
@ 2017-04-26 16:02 Petter
From: Petter @ 2017-04-26 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

I quite recently realized I sent a couple of patches to guix-devel, whereas
they should now go to guix-patches. I use the online manual and the current
state is that there's a couple of references to guix-devel for submitting
patches.

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html#Submitting-Patches
>We welcome contributions in the form of patches as produced by git format-patch
> sent to the mailing list
Where "mailing list" is mailto:guix-devel@gnu.org. This is updated in the
repository however, so I assume the online manual will reflect this shortly.

But here,
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Contributing.html#Contributing
it says
> Please get in touch with us on guix-devel@gnu.org and #guix on the Freenode
> IRC network. We welcome ideas, bug reports, patches, and anything that may be
> helpful to the project.

And here,
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Packaging-Guidelines.html#Packaging-Guidelines
the user is referred to the Contributing node.
> Once your package builds correctly, please send us a patch (see Contributing).

I think at least one of the latter two nodes could use an update to better
inform the soon-to-be-contributor that patches should go to guix-patches. Not
sure what the better fix is though.

What do you think?

Best,
Petter

* Re: Doc: reference to guix-devel for submitting patches
@ 2017-04-26 19:45 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2017-04-26 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Petter

Hi Petter!

I think all of the different mailing lists used by Guix and their intended use should be mentioned and or corrected in the manual (sending patches , reporting bugs, discussing ideas or requesting help, etc.)

* Re: Doc: reference to guix-devel for submitting patches
@ 2017-04-30  2:48 ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2017-04-30  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petter; +Cc: guix-devel

Petter <petter@mykolab.ch> writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> I quite recently realized I sent a couple of patches to guix-devel, whereas
> they should now go to guix-patches. I use the online manual and the current
> state is that there's a couple of references to guix-devel for submitting
> patches.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html#Submitting-Patches
>>We welcome contributions in the form of patches as produced by git format-patch
>> sent to the mailing list
> Where "mailing list" is mailto:guix-devel@gnu.org. This is updated in the
> repository however, so I assume the online manual will reflect this shortly.

In the current master branch, this has been changed to "guix-patches".
Perhaps somebody needs to update the website, too?  The website is
only updated periodically, so sometimes it is out of date.

> But here,
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Contributing.html#Contributing
> it says
>> Please get in touch with us on guix-devel@gnu.org and #guix on the Freenode
>> IRC network. We welcome ideas, bug reports, patches, and anything that may be
>> helpful to the project.

Yes, this wording is unclear.  It could be interpreted as an invitation
to send bug reports and patches to guix-devel@, which is not quite
right.

On related note, I see there is a section on submitting patches ((guix)
Submitting Patches), but there is no similar, dedicated, section on
submitting bugs (i.e., to bug-guix).

> And here,
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Packaging-Guidelines.html#Packaging-Guidelines
> the user is referred to the Contributing node.
>> Once your package builds correctly, please send us a patch (see Contributing).
>
> I think at least one of the latter two nodes could use an update to better
> inform the soon-to-be-contributor that patches should go to guix-patches. Not
> sure what the better fix is though.
>
> What do you think?

Seems to me like we should clarify the wording in the "Contributing"
section.  And maybe we should add a "Submitting Bug Reports"
sub-section, similar to the "Submitting Patches" one.

Do you think you could try your hand at writing this?

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Doc: reference to guix-devel for submitting patches
@ 2017-04-30 16:21   ` Petter
From: Petter @ 2017-04-30 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Chris,

On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 19:48:15 -0700
Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, this wording is unclear.  It could be interpreted as an invitation
> to send bug reports and patches to guix-devel@, which is not quite
> right.
>
> On related note, I see there is a section on submitting patches ((guix)
> Submitting Patches), but there is no similar, dedicated, section on
> submitting bugs (i.e., to bug-guix).
>

> > And here,
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Packaging-Guidelines.html#Packaging-Guidelines
> > the user is referred to the Contributing node.
> >> Once your package builds correctly, please send us a patch (see
> >> Contributing).
> >
> > I think at least one of the latter two nodes could use an update to better
> > inform the soon-to-be-contributor that patches should go to guix-patches.
> > Not sure what the better fix is though.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >

> Seems to me like we should clarify the wording in the "Contributing"
> section.  And maybe we should add a "Submitting Bug Reports"
> sub-section, similar to the "Submitting Patches" one.
>
> Do you think you could try your hand at writing this?

Alright, I'll give it a go. Will post to guix-patches then.

* Re: Doc: reference to guix-devel for submitting patches
@ 2017-04-30 19:35   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-04-30 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 07:48:15PM -0700, Chris Marusich wrote:
> In the current master branch, this has been changed to "guix-patches".
> Perhaps somebody needs to update the website, too?  The website is
> only updated periodically, so sometimes it is out of date.

The web-based manual corresponds to the latest release. This ensures
that new Guix users have the right documentation available on the web.

Yes, it's not ideal for the rest of us...

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Doc: reference to guix-devel for submitting patches
@ 2017-04-30 20:03     ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2017-04-30 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 07:48:15PM -0700, Chris Marusich wrote:
>> In the current master branch, this has been changed to "guix-patches".
>> Perhaps somebody needs to update the website, too?  The website is
>> only updated periodically, so sometimes it is out of date.
>
> The web-based manual corresponds to the latest release. This ensures
> that new Guix users have the right documentation available on the web.
>
> Yes, it's not ideal for the rest of us...

Indeed.  For this reason, I added the following line to my
~/.bash_profile:

  export INFOPATH="$HOME/guix/doc${INFOPATH:+:}$INFOPATH"

where $HOME/guix is my local checkout of Guix's Git repository.  This
ensures that the manual I read using Emacs and the Info reader matches
the Guix code I have checked out (after I've built it, of course).  Do
you think it would be worth it if I added a small section about this to
the "Contributing" section in the manual?  It seems to come up from time
to time on the mailing list.

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Doc: reference to guix-devel for submitting patches
@ 2017-05-01 16:45       ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2017-05-01 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

>   export INFOPATH="$HOME/guix/doc${INFOPATH:+:}$INFOPATH"
>
> where $HOME/guix is my local checkout of Guix's Git repository.  This
> ensures that the manual I read using Emacs and the Info reader matches
> the Guix code I have checked out (after I've built it, of course).  Do
> you think it would be worth it if I added a small section about this to
> the "Contributing" section in the manual?  It seems to come up from time
> to time on the mailing list.

+1