unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* On substitutes and donating hosting to Guix
@ 2023-12-14 15:16 Jing Luo
From: Jing Luo @ 2023-12-14 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hi all,

I would like to share my computing resources with Guix developers and
users, but I don't know which option is the best. (<--- share: per
gratis)

I am the admin of repo.jing.rocks, which is already the mirror for many
distros. There are three servers behind repo.jing.rocks (as well as my
other self-hosted services), all of which are in my bedroom/living room
- I own the hardware (mostly second hand). The physical location is
Tokyo, Japan, with 10Gbps internet. All are powered by renewable energy
and keep me warm in the winter (or boiling in the summer).

As a substitute: this option looks easy? Although the setup requires
more than just a rsync cronjob (like other distros), and I'm not
familiar with Guile (still learning). I got the guix-publish service
running, but I don't know what to do next: how do I make it serve other
clients? [1] is not clear about this, I think I should pull archives
from ci.guix so that I don't have to build 30,000 packages myself, but
probably not rsync?

"Donate"[2] option: this page mentions "We are also looking for
donations of hardware and optionally hosting". Does "donating hardware"
mean that I have to send my expensive machine(s) to Guix Foundation in
Europe? Not only it would be unsafe, and then other distros would no
longer be able to use it. If only joining the build farm without
transferring the ownership of the hardware is allowed, then I'm eager to
help, but please point me to the right direction. Here are the specs:

Server A: AMD EPYC 7773X x2, 100~200GB available RAM for Guix (total
1TB), about 15TB available spinning rust storage (RAIDz3).
Server B: AMD EPYC 75F3, 64GB available RAM (total 512GB), about 5TB
available Nvme storage (RAIDz2).
Server C: Intel Core i9-10900K, only 16GB available RAM (total 128GB
non-ECC), less than 1TB available Nvme storage (RAID1) sharing with the
boot drive, but can always NFS mount server A and B.
Server D?: a Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB for aarch64 or armhf builds. NFS mount
storage will have to do.

Planned:
Server E*: a Raspberry Pi 5 8GB for aarch64 or armhf builds. It's
backordered, ETA late Jan or early Feb
Server F**: for 100% free: ppc64le, I plan to purchase a Talos II
motherboard, but I'm still saving money (need $5000 more). no ETA, it
could take 12~18 months to save up that much money.

Another option would be I run a build farm with all of the above. But
again, that may be too much for one person to maintain, I don't have the
skills (yet) and I have a day job that's killing me. Please advise.

PS: please update page [2]: fosshost is dead, I saw it in the news.

[1] https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Mirrors
[2] https://guix.gnu.org/en/donate/

All the best and happy hecking,

--