unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Guix System For Kids
@ 2022-10-02 19:32 jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-10-02 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

What do people think of having an education distro for kids?

Similar to these:

https://itsfoss.com/educational-linux-distros/

Could we use that Guix GUI written in smalltalk to get started?

* Re: Guix System For Kids
@ 2022-10-02 22:17 ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2022-10-02 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: guix-devel

jgart <jgart@dismail.de> writes:

> What do people think of having an education distro for kids?
>
> Similar to these:
>
> https://itsfoss.com/educational-linux-distros/
>
> Could we use that Guix GUI written in smalltalk to get started?

EndlessOS has a system for teaching kids, it's calle Hack, it might be
worth checking out.

* Re: Guix System For Kids
@ 2022-10-02 23:48   ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-10-02 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, 03 Oct 2022 00:17:52 +0200 Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:
> EndlessOS has a system for teaching kids, it's calle Hack, it might be
> worth checking out.

Does it run on GNU Guix System?

* Re: Guix System For Kids
@ 2022-10-03  6:31 ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-10-03  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart, Guix Devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 542 bytes --]

On 02-10-2022 21:32, jgart wrote:
> What do people think of having an education distro for kids?
>
> Similar to these:
>
> https://itsfoss.com/educational-linux-distros/
>
> Could we use that Guix GUI written in smalltalk to get started?

Going by what I'm seeing on that page, in many cases 'education distro
for kids' would be useful for adults not pursuing an education as well
-- I think we should focus more on the implied 'convenience' aspect than
being 100% 'education' and 'for kids'.

Greetings,
Maxime.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: Guix System For Kids
@ 2022-10-03  7:18 ` Oliver Propst
From: Oliver Propst @ 2022-10-03  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: Guix Devel

On 2022-10-02 21:32, jgart wrote:
> What do people think of having an education distro for kids?

Sounds as a fantastic idea to me :) If we somehow could get the manpower
to make it happen.

--
Kinds regards Oliver Propst
https://twitter.com/Opropst

* Re: Guix System For Kids
@ 2022-10-03  8:38   ` vidak
From: vidak @ 2022-10-03  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Propst; +Cc: jgart, Guix Devel

On 2022-10-03 15:18, Oliver Propst wrote:
> On 2022-10-02 21:32, jgart wrote:
>> What do people think of having an education distro for kids?
>
> Sounds as a fantastic idea to me :) If we somehow could get the
> manpower to make it happen.

I think it is an awesome idea. It could be like an old 80s BBC Micro. I
am pursuing making a simple Lisp educational tool myself.

I can commit to working on this project. Let's talk casually on jitsi or
something!

vidak.

* Re: Guix System For Kids
@ 2022-10-03 11:06     ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2022-10-03 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: Csepp, guix-devel

jgart <jgart@dismail.de> writes:

> On Mon, 03 Oct 2022 00:17:52 +0200 Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:
>> EndlessOS has a system for teaching kids, it's calle Hack, it might be
>> worth checking out.
>
> Does it run on GNU Guix System?

No idea, I haven't tried to compile it or look at its source code.