unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* "Sales Pitch" for Guix as Yet Another Python Package Manager
@ 2023-01-13 23:20 jgart
From: jgart @ 2023-01-13 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guixers,

I'd like to get your opinions/brainstorms on the unique features that you think make Guix an excellent Python package manager over all the others: pip, poetry, pyenv, pipenv, conda, etc.

Here are two reasons I can think of:

1. You never get opaque mystery wheels🛞 but always get the Python libraries built from source including any C/C++ related dependencies. In other words, you can ensure that the entire "transitive story" can be told and accounted for down to the primordial berry.

2. Guix makes it easy to have a multi-language environment/project without having to worry about scrambling to get your non-Python deps with various build tools/package managers.

3. You want some C, ruby, C++, etc. development dependencies in your Python project? You got it and from one CLI.

What else makes Guix unique for Python development besides the above 3 points?

The one thing I can say that we are currently missing that pyenv provides is getting any version of CPython 3 that is currently supported. Guix only conveniently provides Python 3.9. By convenient, I mean easily available from master with substitutes available. This is mostly my fault as I haven't spent the time to package the other CPython versions yet.

* Re: "Sales Pitch" for Guix as Yet Another Python Package Manager
@ 2023-01-14  2:28 ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2023-01-14  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

> But why Nix? Cargo uses lock files and does a good job of keeping track of Rust dependencies. But Nix goes further, also taking into account both system dependencies and the Rust compiler itself. Also, in a polyglot environment, Nix can simplify the build process by not requiring a concoction of compilers and tools to be installed.

https://www.tweag.io/blog/2022-09-22-rust-nix/

s/Nix/Guix/