unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Should java .jar-filenames include the version?
@ 2016-09-08 12:01 Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-09-08 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

as I'm going to release patches for some java packages, I'd like to get
consent on one point:

Should java .jar-filenames include the version?

This only effects those .jar for which there is no build.xml (or
equivalent) is present and thus #:jar-file is to be specified.

The jar-files currently packaged do not include the version, but most
.jar-files build using a build.xml or maven .pom seam to include it.
OTOH, the version is already in the prefix, thus it is redundant.

What do you think?

(I personally do not care much, I just want to avoid duplicate work.)

--
Schönen Gruß
Hartmut Goebel

Goebel Consult, Landshut
http://www.goebel-consult.de

Blog:
http://www.goebel-consult.de/blog/bestanden-iso-27001-lead-implementer
Kolumne:
http://www.cissp-gefluester.de/2011-10-aus-der-schublade-in-die-koepfe

* Re: Should java .jar-filenames include the version?
@ 2016-09-09 11:23 ` Alex Vong
From: Alex Vong @ 2016-09-09 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello,

I prefer including the version. Consider the following
situation. Package foo has version A and B, both installing to path
~/.guix-profile/share/java/ (symlink to store). When the user installs
both version A and B, there will be a conflict. Please note that I do
not know java very well. Will those jar files be installed to different
locations instead of ~/.guix-profile/share/java/ if we switch to maven
later?

By the way, does java / maven has something similar to so name for abi
compatibility?

Thanks,
Alex

@ 2016-09-12  7:55   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-09-12  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 09.09.2016 um 13:23 schrieb Alex Vong:
>  Package foo has version A and B, both installing to path
> ~/.guix-profile/share/java/ (symlink to store).

This is convincing to me :-) Since nobody else expressed a different
opinion, I assume consent on this.

So I will put the version into the jar-filename.

--
Schönen Gruß
Hartmut Goebel
Dipl.-Informatiker (univ), CISSP, CSSLP, ISO 27001 Lead Implementer
Information Security Management, Security Governance, Secure Software
Development

Goebel Consult, Landshut
http://www.goebel-consult.de

Blog:
http://www.goebel-consult.de/blog/vortrag-digitalen-selbstverteidigung-fur-unternehmen

Kolumne:
http://www.cissp-gefluester.de/2011-02-fleisige-datensammler-fur-lukratives-geschaeftsmodell-gesucht

* Re: Should java .jar-filenames include the version?
@ 2016-09-12  9:08   ` Marco van Zwetselaar
From: Marco van Zwetselaar @ 2016-09-12  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 09/09/16 14:23, Alex Vong wrote:
> I prefer including the version. Consider the following
> situation. Package foo has version A and B, both installing to path
> ~/.guix-profile/share/java/ (symlink to store). When the user installs
> both version A and B, there will be a conflict. Please note that I do
> not know java very well. Will those jar files be installed to different
> locations instead of ~/.guix-profile/share/java/ if we switch to maven
> later?

No. Jar-files can be placed anywhere and get resolved through the
application's classpath at runtime. The default classpath contains only
the jar files which come with the platform (i.e. are part of the
language version & standard library). The classpath for an application
has no default value; it is set through environment variable CLASSPATH
a/o arguments to the JVM.

The application classpath can include directories (bad idea) and names
of jar or zip files (better idea, especially if they have version
numbers). To entirely eliminate dependency issues, many applications
resort to packaging all dependency jars with the application and point
the classpath to "inside the application".

> By the way, does java / maven has something similar to so name for abi
> compatibility?

Core Java doesn't at the library (jar) level[*], though proposals have
been made since at least version 1.4 to add it to the platform. The OSGI
model which underlies e.g. the Eclipse platform is an "in Java" solution
which got very close, and semantically went way beyond soname. There was
talk of adding that to version 8 but IIRC it didn't make it.

Cheers,
Marco

[*] Needs qualification: I was hard core Javan up to version 6. I'm
extrapolating what for ages seemed to go nowhere to versions 7..9.

@ 2016-09-12 11:27     ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-09-12 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel