unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* ANN: guix-import-debian
@ 2016-05-01 18:01 Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-05-01 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

based on a former short discussion [1] I implemented a Pyhton tool which
helps generating package definitions from Debian descriptions.

Comments and enhancements are *very* welcome.

Installation:

   pip install guix-import-debian

:Homepage: https://gitlab.com/htgoebel/guix-import-debian

`guix-import-debian` reads the Debian package description and
``.debian.tar.gz`` from the debian package servers and creates a
(hopefully useful) Guix package definition. Of course, this definition
needs to be reworked to make everything fine for committing to the
Guix project.

This basically saves you some typing and collecting data. it does not
doe the remaining work for you.

Typically things to to are:

- check the source definitons
- check the inputs and native-inputs
- check the synopsis and description
- check the outputs
- test if building works as expected
- run guix lint
- and all the other

The downloaded debian file for this package can be found in $TMP (may
be changed using option ``--tempdir``), so you can easily continue
your research.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-04/msg00927.html

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: ANN: guix-import-debian
@ 2016-05-02  8:24 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-05-02  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> skribis:

> based on a former short discussion [1] I implemented a Pyhton tool which
> helps generating package definitions from Debian descriptions.
>
> Comments and enhancements are *very* welcome.
>
> Installation:
>
>    pip install guix-import-debian
>
> :Homepage: https://gitlab.com/htgoebel/guix-import-debian

Nice work!

Would be great to have it integrated in ‘guix import’.  Did you look at
the other importers in guix/import/*.scm?  Hopefully it should be simple
enough to do the same within this framework, even without being a
die-hard Schemer ;-), and it would be readily available to all of Guix.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: ANN: guix-import-debian
@ 2016-05-02 19:50   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-05-02 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Am 02.05.2016 um 10:24 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> Nice work!
Thanks.

> Would be great to have it integrated in ‘guix import’.  Did you look at
> the other importers in guix/import/*.scm?  Hopefully it should be simple
> enough to do the same within this framework, even without being a
> die-hard Schemer ;-), and it would be readily available to all of Guix.

Do you mean intergrating my tool into "guix import" or reimplement it in
guile? In both cases somebody else would need to take on the job.

While having it readily available in guix would indeed be good, I'm not
going to do it 1) I'm not a guile-programmer and doing this would take
me too much time which I could spend more useful on other stuff. 2)
Parsing debian-822-like files seams to be non-trivial (given there is a
quite complex python module for this task), re implementing this in
guile seams to be quite a bit of work.

If somebody else is reimplementing this in guile, I'll happily drop by
implementation.

--

@ 2016-05-03 11:43     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-05-03 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> skribis:

> Am 02.05.2016 um 10:24 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>> Nice work!
> Thanks.
>
>> Would be great to have it integrated in ‘guix import’.  Did you look at
>> the other importers in guix/import/*.scm?  Hopefully it should be simple
>> enough to do the same within this framework, even without being a
>> die-hard Schemer ;-), and it would be readily available to all of Guix.
>
> Do you mean intergrating my tool into "guix import" or reimplement it in
> guile? In both cases somebody else would need to take on the job.

Fair enough!

> While having it readily available in guix would indeed be good, I'm not
> going to do it 1) I'm not a guile-programmer and doing this would take
> me too much time which I could spend more useful on other stuff. 2)
> Parsing debian-822-like files seams to be non-trivial (given there is a
> quite complex python module for this task), re implementing this in
> guile seams to be quite a bit of work.

ISTR that this syntax is very close to that of recutils, for which we
already have a simple parser in (guix records).  But yeah, dunno, maybe
there are other complications.

Anyway, thanks for your work!

Ludo’.