unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Package ruby-ansi appears to be broken
@ 2016-04-27 10:39 Rob Syme
From: Rob Syme @ 2016-04-27 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hi all

Running `guix environment --ad-hoc ruby-ansi` fails for me (and others).
The package definition uses the ruby-build-system but fetches the tar.gz
directly from github instead of from rubygems. I'll try and find time to
have a closer look, but if Ricardo has any time, he might be able to debug
it faster than me.

* Re: Package ruby-ansi appears to be broken
@ 2016-04-27 12:25 ` Ben Woodcroft
From: Ben Woodcroft @ 2016-04-27 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Syme, guix-devel@gnu.org

Hi Rob,

On 27/04/16 20:39, Rob Syme wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Running `guix environment --ad-hoc ruby-ansi` fails for me (and
> others). The package definition uses the ruby-build-system but fetches
> the tar.gz directly from github instead of from rubygems. I'll try and
> find time to have a closer look, but if Ricardo has any time, he might
> be able to debug it faster than me.

I think this the error is very similar to that described here, and
occurs during 'gem install'
https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/issues/1448

which is fixed in rubygems 2.5.2, but unfortunately ruby comes with
2.5.1. Today a new version of ruby was released, but sadly, still 2.5.1.
So, I think this means we will need to either incorporate the patch(es)
that fix this into the ruby package, or package rubygems alongside ruby
somehow. Or, since there is only a problem during build time, perhaps
clobber the gem from the ruby package with a rubygems package during
build time. Unless you have any better ideas?

Thanks for reporting this. I'm not sure we can blame Ricardo for this.
Rather, it is all my fault.
ben

* Re: Package ruby-ansi appears to be broken
@ 2016-04-27 12:45 ` Ben Woodcroft
From: Ben Woodcroft @ 2016-04-27 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Syme, guix-devel@gnu.org

Hi Rob,

On 27/04/16 20:39, Rob Syme wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Running `guix environment --ad-hoc ruby-ansi` fails for me (and
> others). The package definition uses the ruby-build-system but fetches
> the tar.gz directly from github instead of from rubygems. I'll try and
> find time to have a closer look, but if Ricardo has any time, he might
> be able to debug it faster than me.

I think this the error is very similar to that described here, and
occurs during 'gem install'
https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/issues/1448

which is fixed in rubygems 2.5.2. Today a new version of ruby was
released, but sadly, comes with rubygems 2.5.1. So, I think this means

@ 2016-04-27 13:11   ` Rob Syme
From: Rob Syme @ 2016-04-27 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Woodcroft, guix-devel@gnu.org

Ah, good thinking Ben, thanks. I've had a quick look, and the rubygems
included in ruby version 2.3.1 tarball includes all of the symlinks fixes
made in PR#1209, so *maybe* we don't need rubygems version 2.5.2 after all.
I'm just testing to see if upgrading the ruby package to 2.3.1 fixes
everything.

-r

P.S. I certainly didn't mean to insinuate that this was the fault of
Ricardo (or you, for that matter). Thanks to all contributors!

@ 2016-04-27 13:19     ` Rob Syme
From: Rob Syme @ 2016-04-27 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Woodcroft, guix-devel@gnu.org

Oh, wait. I think we need the patches from PR#1457 (
https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/pull/1457/files). I'll make a patch
and see.

@ 2016-04-27 14:27       ` Rob Syme
From: Rob Syme @ 2016-04-27 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)