unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Torrenting GuixSD!
@ 2015-02-13 17:23 Polchi
From: Polchi @ 2015-02-13 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

As jgrant asked on IRC, I proposed to help creating torrents for GuixSD.
Because those files are big, it might help GNU servers if we exchange
the data by ourselves. :-)
I attached the torrent, if you can contribute with us helping to
distribute the file!

Thank you very much.
Happy hacking!

[-- Attachment #2: gsd-usb-install-0.8.1.i686-linux.xz.torrent --]
[-- Type: application/x-bittorrent, Size: 89758 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: gsd-usb-install-0.8.1.x86_64-linux.xz.torrent --]
[-- Type: application/x-bittorrent, Size: 92480 bytes --]

* Re: Torrenting GuixSD!
@ 2015-02-13 22:53 ` David Thompson
From: David Thompson @ 2015-02-13 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Polchi, guix-devel

Polchi <polchi.dabarov@riseup.net> writes:

> As jgrant asked on IRC, I proposed to help creating torrents for GuixSD.
> Because those files are big, it might help GNU servers if we exchange
> the data by ourselves. :-)
> I attached the torrent, if you can contribute with us helping to
> distribute the file!

Awesome, thanks!  I'm seeding.

--
David Thompson
Web Developer - Free Software Foundation - http://fsf.org

* Re: Torrenting GuixSD!
@ 2015-02-14  2:50   ` Eric Bavier
From: Eric Bavier @ 2015-02-14  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thompson, Polchi, guix-devel

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 17:53:57 -0500
David Thompson <dthompson2@worcester.edu> wrote:

> Polchi <polchi.dabarov@riseup.net> writes:
>
> > As jgrant asked on IRC, I proposed to help creating torrents for GuixSD.
> > Because those files are big, it might help GNU servers if we exchange
> > the data by ourselves. :-)
> > I attached the torrent, if you can contribute with us helping to
> > distribute the file!
>
> Awesome, thanks!  I'm seeding.

I'm seeding now too.  Would it make sense to link the torrent files
under the "Downloading" section on the website?

`~Eric

* Re: Torrenting GuixSD!
@ 2015-02-14  9:30 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-02-14  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Polchi; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 06:23:35PM +0100, Polchi wrote:
> As jgrant asked on IRC, I proposed to help creating torrents for GuixSD.
> Because those files are big, it might help GNU servers if we exchange
> the data by ourselves. :-)

nice initiative! Could you maybe make a torrent with a subdirectory and two
files in it, the image and its signature (the .sig file)? Then one can
directly verify its authenticity.

Andreas

* Re: Torrenting GuixSD!
@ 2015-02-23 20:47     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-23 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bavier; +Cc: guix-devel, Polchi

Eric Bavier <bavier@member.fsf.org> skribis:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 17:53:57 -0500
> David Thompson <dthompson2@worcester.edu> wrote:
>
>> Polchi <polchi.dabarov@riseup.net> writes:
>>
>> > As jgrant asked on IRC, I proposed to help creating torrents for GuixSD.
>> > Because those files are big, it might help GNU servers if we exchange
>> > the data by ourselves. :-)
>> > I attached the torrent, if you can contribute with us helping to
>> > distribute the file!
>>
>> Awesome, thanks!  I'm seeding.
>>

> I'm seeding now too.  Would it make sense to link the torrent files
> under the "Downloading" section on the website?

Definitely.  Is someone with commit access willing to do that?  (See
“Source Code” -> “Use CVS” on <http://savannah.gnu.org/p/guix>.)

TIA,  :-)
Ludo’.

* Re: Torrenting GuixSD!
@ 2015-02-23 20:54       ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-02-23 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, Polchi

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 09:47:38PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Definitely.  Is someone with commit access willing to do that?  (See
> “Source Code” -> “Use CVS” on <http://savannah.gnu.org/p/guix>.)

I still think it would be nice to include the signature into the torrent.

Andreas

* Re: Torrenting GuixSD!
@ 2015-02-25 14:00         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-25 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel, Polchi

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 09:47:38PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Definitely.  Is someone with commit access willing to do that?  (See
>> “Source Code” -> “Use CVS” on <http://savannah.gnu.org/p/guix>.)
>
> I still think it would be nice to include the signature into the torrent.

It’s probably fine to point to the .sig that’s on alpha.gnu.org, no?

Ludo’.

* Re: Torrenting GuixSD!
@ 2015-02-25 14:12           ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-02-25 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, Polchi

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 03:00:59PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:
> > I still think it would be nice to include the signature into the torrent.
> It’s probably fine to point to the .sig that’s on alpha.gnu.org, no?

Well, it is more a question of education than anything: By including the
signature, downloaders are directly pointed to it. Of course, it can also
be downloaded separately, but this is an additional step. We should make
"the right thing" as easy as possible.

Andreas

* Re: Torrenting GuixSD!
@ 2015-02-25 15:32             ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2015-02-25 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel, Polchi

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 03:00:59PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:
>> > I still think it would be nice to include the signature into the torrent.
>> It’s probably fine to point to the .sig that’s on alpha.gnu.org, no?
>
> Well, it is more a question of education than anything: By including the
> signature, downloaders are directly pointed to it. Of course, it can also
> be downloaded separately, but this is an additional step. We should make
> "the right thing" as easy as possible.

If we were to extend this argument to non-torrent downloads, then all
of our downloads (source tarballs and images) should be tar files
containing a signature bundled with the thing being signed.  mit-krb5
follows this policy with their source tarballs.  I suppose there can be
no arguments on matters of taste, but personally I don't like it.

I have some experience with torrents, and I tend to find it annoying
when downloads that would naturally be a single file are bundled into a
directory with other stuff.  For one thing, it means that I can't
organize my files as I prefer without keeping the directory name and
structure that the torrent creator chose, at least not if I want to
facilitate later seeding.

My preference would be to keep things as they are now.  IMO, it would be
better to educate people on how to download and check the detached
signature in our installation instructions.  That's a lesson that can be
used for almost every software package that is signed upstream, which
would be far more useful than educating them on some non-standard
signature distribution method that hardly anyone uses.

    Regards,
      Mark

* Re: Torrenting GuixSD!
@ 2015-02-25 17:51               ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-02-25 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel, Polchi

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:32:50AM -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> If we were to extend this argument to non-torrent downloads, then all
> of our downloads (source tarballs and images) should be tar files
> containing a signature bundled with the thing being signed.  mit-krb5
> follows this policy with their source tarballs.

No, extending this argument to non-torrent downloads means that we should
advertise the signature next to the actual file. This holds on the gnu ftp
servers, where alphabetical ordering ensures they are next to each other.
And it usually holds on web sites. In both cases, there is almost no extra
effort for downloading the signature.

Alternatively in our case, since the torrent file also needs to be downloaded
from somewhere, it would make sense to put the signature file next to the
torrent file on the download site.

Andreas

* Re: Torrenting GuixSD!
@ 2015-02-25 21:47                 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-25 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel, Polchi

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:32:50AM -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> If we were to extend this argument to non-torrent downloads, then all
>> of our downloads (source tarballs and images) should be tar files
>> containing a signature bundled with the thing being signed.  mit-krb5
>> follows this policy with their source tarballs.
>
> No, extending this argument to non-torrent downloads means that we should
> advertise the signature next to the actual file.

What about having the .sig URL right next the the Torrent URI on the web
page?  I think it would work the same in terms of “education”.

Ludo’.

* Re: Torrenting GuixSD!
@ 2015-02-25 21:51                   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-02-25 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, Polchi

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:47:43PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> What about having the .sig URL right next the the Torrent URI on the web
> page?  I think it would work the same in terms of “education”.

Hm, that was exactly the suggestion of the second part of my message.

Andreas