unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Google Summer of Code: GNUnet and Guix
       [not found]     ` <52F37F1E.7070103@in.tum.de>
@ 2014-02-06 14:27       ` Sree Harsha Totakura
From: Sree Harsha Totakura @ 2014-02-06 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnunet-developers, guix-devel

On 02/06/2014 01:25 PM, Christian Grothoff wrote:
> Well, aside from that our plan was to package for GNU Guix and
> then use Guix to deploy to legacy distributions, I am unconvinced
> that "merely" packaging is an appropriate activity for a summer
> of *Code*.  At least I had the impression that the goal was to write
> a bit more substantial code than what is typically required to script
> a package.

Make a GNUnet package for GNU Guix is already done.  I recently
submitted patches for that.

> Still, it's of course great to hear that we'd have somebody willing
> and able to mentor this, so we should keep this in mind if/when student
> applications are submitted.

What I want to see in the near future is for GNU Guix to propagate
updates using GNUnet.  I am willing to contribute to both projects in
this direction and hopefully can mentor someone or be mentored by someone.

Regards,
Sree Harsha

* Fwd: [GNUnet-developers] Google Summer of Code: GNUnet and Guix
@ 2014-02-06 15:29         ` Sree Harsha Totakura
From: Sree Harsha Totakura @ 2014-02-06 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Anyone interested in mentoring for GSoC 2014?

On 02/06/2014 01:25 PM, Christian Grothoff wrote:
> Well, aside from that our plan was to package for GNU Guix and
> then use Guix to deploy to legacy distributions, I am unconvinced
> that "merely" packaging is an appropriate activity for a summer
> of *Code*.  At least I had the impression that the goal was to write
> a bit more substantial code than what is typically required to script
> a package.

Make a GNUnet package for GNU Guix is already done.  I recently
submitted patches for that.

> Still, it's of course great to hear that we'd have somebody willing
> and able to mentor this, so we should keep this in mind if/when student
> applications are submitted.

What I want to see in the near future is for GNU Guix to propagate
updates using GNUnet.  I am willing to contribute to both projects in
this direction and hopefully can mentor someone or be mentored by someone.

Regards,
Sree Harsha

* Re: Fwd: Google Summer of Code: GNUnet and Guix
@ 2014-02-06 16:24           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-02-06 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sree Harsha Totakura; +Cc: guix-devel, gnunet-developers

Hi!

(Adding gnunet-developers.)

Sree Harsha Totakura <sreeharsha@totakura.in> skribis:

> Anyone interested in mentoring for GSoC 2014?

[...]

> What I want to see in the near future is for GNU Guix to propagate
> updates using GNUnet.  I am willing to contribute to both projects in
> this direction and hopefully can mentor someone or be mentored by someone.

I’d be happy to see someone work on this project, and to mentor them!
This is something we discussed last year [0], although it didn’t go
anywhere at the time.

I think we should also propose other Guix-related projects.  Volunteers?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

[0] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2013-03/msg00085.html