unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* acpi, suspend, hibernate
@ 2015-03-28  1:44 白い熊@相撲道
From: 白い熊@相撲道 @ 2015-03-28  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I have GuixSD installed on the Gluglug X200 and would like to issue
suspend and hibernate commands. Upon inspecting /proc/acpi however it
seems that this is not built in the current kernel that I have booted.

Do I need to add some acpi, acpi-service etc. to config.scm and
reconfigure? Could someone specify what exactly is needed?

Many thanks.
--
白い熊@相撲道

* Re: acpi, suspend, hibernate
@ 2015-03-28  8:01 ` Tomáš Čech
From: Tomáš Čech @ 2015-03-28  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 02:44:42AM +0100, 白い熊@相撲道 wrote:
>I have GuixSD installed on the Gluglug X200 and would like to issue
>suspend and hibernate commands. Upon inspecting /proc/acpi however it
>seems that this is not built in the current kernel that I have booted.
>
>Do I need to add some acpi, acpi-service etc. to config.scm and
>reconfigure? Could someone specify what exactly is needed?

I'm not aware of any solution for this. To trigger suspend to RAM
manually on kernel level you need to run:

echo mem > /sys/power/state

HTH,

S_W

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 181 bytes --]

* Re: acpi, suspend, hibernate
@ 2015-03-28 17:30 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-03-28 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 白い熊@相撲道; +Cc: guix-devel

白い熊@相撲道 <guix-devel_gnu.org@sumou.com> skribis:

> I have GuixSD installed on the Gluglug X200 and would like to issue
> suspend and hibernate commands. Upon inspecting /proc/acpi however it
> seems that this is not built in the current kernel that I have booted.

We currently lack the pm-utils package, which provides ‘pm-suspend’
(currently I use a script that writes to /sys/power/state as Tomáš
suggested.)  Would you like to give it a try?

> Do I need to add some acpi, acpi-service etc. to config.scm and
> reconfigure? Could someone specify what exactly is needed?

We also lack a service to run acpid.  You’re welcome to try it as well
;-).  The main thing is that it requires studying a bit acpid’s options
and possibly provide an API for the /etc/acpi/events rules.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: acpi, suspend, hibernate
@ 2015-03-28 18:37   ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2015-03-28 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> 白い熊@相撲道 <guix-devel_gnu.org@sumou.com> skribis:
>
>> I have GuixSD installed on the Gluglug X200 and would like to issue
>> suspend and hibernate commands. Upon inspecting /proc/acpi however it
>> seems that this is not built in the current kernel that I have booted.
>
> We currently lack the pm-utils package, which provides ‘pm-suspend’
> (currently I use a script that writes to /sys/power/state as Tomáš
> suggested.)  Would you like to give it a try?

I wonder if it might be better to implement suspend/resume in dmd, so
that services could easily define actions to be run before suspend and
after resume.  I guess the pm-utils approach is to put shell scripts
into /etc/pm.

       Mark

* Re: acpi, suspend, hibernate
@ 2015-03-28 20:59     ` Tomáš Čech
From: Tomáš Čech @ 2015-03-28 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 02:37:11PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> 白い熊@相撲道 <guix-devel_gnu.org@sumou.com> skribis:
>>
>>> I have GuixSD installed on the Gluglug X200 and would like to issue
>>> suspend and hibernate commands. Upon inspecting /proc/acpi however it
>>> seems that this is not built in the current kernel that I have booted.
>>
>> We currently lack the pm-utils package, which provides ‘pm-suspend’
>> (currently I use a script that writes to /sys/power/state as Tomáš
>> suggested.)  Would you like to give it a try?
>
>I wonder if it might be better to implement suspend/resume in dmd, so
>that services could easily define actions to be run before suspend and
>after resume.  I guess the pm-utils approach is to put shell scripts
>into /etc/pm.

I second this idea. Dmd is proper place to implement such actions as
services may benefit from performing actions before suspend or after
resume.

Pm-utils package was collection of hacks and workarounds for broken
hardware. It hopefully won't be needed anymore.

To have the list of options richer, there is also UPower
(http://upower.freedesktop.org/) which is designed to take care of
power management.

Best regards,

@ 2015-03-31 12:18     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-03-31 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> 白い熊@相撲道 <guix-devel_gnu.org@sumou.com> skribis:
>>
>>> I have GuixSD installed on the Gluglug X200 and would like to issue
>>> suspend and hibernate commands. Upon inspecting /proc/acpi however it
>>> seems that this is not built in the current kernel that I have booted.
>>
>> We currently lack the pm-utils package, which provides ‘pm-suspend’
>> (currently I use a script that writes to /sys/power/state as Tomáš
>> suggested.)  Would you like to give it a try?
>
> I wonder if it might be better to implement suspend/resume in dmd, so
> that services could easily define actions to be run before suspend and
> after resume.

Good point, and this would be quite easy.

I wonder where things like X session locking should take place though.
(I guess this is one of the things that ConsoleKit and its replacements
took care of.)

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

* Re: acpi, suspend, hibernate
@ 2015-03-31 21:50   ` 白い熊@相撲道
From: 白い熊@相撲道 @ 2015-03-31 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo, 白い熊@相撲道; +Cc: guix-devel

On March 28, 2015 7:30:43 AM HST, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
>白い熊@相撲道 <guix-devel_gnu.org@sumou.com> skribis:
>We currently lack the pm-utils package, which provides ‘pm-suspend’
>(currently I use a script that writes to /sys/power/state as Tomáš
>suggested.)  Would you like to give it a try?

This is an OK solution for suspend. Unfortunately it doesn't allow to hibernate to a swap partition...
--
白い熊@相撲道