unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Is staging open again?
@ 2018-03-05 11:43 Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2018-03-05 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

I have a patch which should go to staging (600 packages need recompile).
Is staging open for commit?

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Is staging open again?
@ 2018-03-06 17:03 ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2018-03-06 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel, guix-devel

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have a patch which should go to staging (600 packages need recompile).
> Is staging open for commit?

Staging is nearly fully built, so it will have to wait until next round.

Generally, branches 'close' once a Hydra evaluation starts.  Check in
here for progress: <https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/staging>.

Currently evolution-data-server fails to build, I've sent some patches
here: <https://bugs.gnu.org/30733>.  Once that is fixed, we'll do a new
(hopefully last) evaluation and merge if there is no fallout.

PS: GNOME users, please test staging when #30733 is merged, since it
updates evolution-data-server to 3.26 while most of GNOME is still
3.24.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Where to queue patches for staging? (was: Is staging open again?)
@ 2018-03-06 20:45   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2018-03-06 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 06.03.2018 um 18:03 schrieb Marius Bakke:
> Staging is nearly fully built, so it will have to wait until next round.
> Generally, branches 'close' once a Hydra evaluation starts.  Check in
> here for progress: <https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/staging>.

This sound complicated for the occasional (staging-) contributor.

How should I determine when the next round is about to start? I can't
even spot that "staging is nearly fully built" and hydra's web-front-end
is slow. Further I do not have the time for monitoring hydra and catch
the time-window then I can push my commit. For me this does not work out
- and I assume for others if doesn't, too.

Is there some queue-for-staging branch where I can commit this patch to?
Or some other means, like setting some bug-status?

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Where to queue patches for staging? (was: Is staging open again?)
@ 2018-03-07 14:20     ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2018-03-07 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel, guix-devel

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> writes:

> Am 06.03.2018 um 18:03 schrieb Marius Bakke:
>> Staging is nearly fully built, so it will have to wait until next round.
>> Generally, branches 'close' once a Hydra evaluation starts.  Check in
>> here for progress: <https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/staging>.
>
> This sound complicated for the occasional (staging-) contributor.
>
> How should I determine when the next round is about to start? I can't
> even spot that "staging is nearly fully built" and hydra's web-front-end
> is slow. Further I do not have the time for monitoring hydra and catch
> the time-window then I can push my commit. For me this does not work out
> - and I assume for others if doesn't, too.

There are typically discussions on guix-devel when we start the branch.
Here is the previous correspondence:
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-02/msg00406.html>.

I suppose we can make it clearer when a branch becomes 'bugfix-only'.

> Is there some queue-for-staging branch where I can commit this patch to?
> Or some other means, like setting some bug-status?

Feel free to push a 'staging-next' branch or something along those lines
to Savannah.  Then we can "promote" it once the current branch is merged.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Where to queue patches for staging?
@ 2018-03-08 17:19       ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2018-03-08 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke, guix-devel

Am 07.03.2018 um 15:20 schrieb Marius Bakke:
> Feel free to push a 'staging-next' branch or something along those lines
> to Savannah.  Then we can "promote" it once the current branch is merged.

Done this. Thanks!