unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* U-boot update revert.
@ 2020-04-23 11:07 Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2020-04-23 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vagrant; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Vagrant,

I reverted the U-Boot update to 2020.04 because it breaks the build of
u-boot-tools package. Could you please have a look?

Thanks,

Mathieu

* Re: U-boot update revert.
@ 2020-04-23 18:56 ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2020-04-23 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2020-04-23, Mathieu Othacehe wrote:
> I reverted the U-Boot update to 2020.04 because it breaks the build of
> u-boot-tools package. Could you please have a look?

Hrm. Pretty sure it worked locally when I committed it...

Unfortunately, won't have a chance to debug till next week; if anyone
else could look into it sooner that would be great!

live well,
  vagrant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: U-boot update revert.
@ 2020-04-23 19:15   ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2020-04-23 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2020-04-23, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2020-04-23, Mathieu Othacehe wrote:
>> I reverted the U-Boot update to 2020.04 because it breaks the build of
>> u-boot-tools package. Could you please have a look?
>
> Hrm. Pretty sure it worked locally when I committed it...
>
> Unfortunately, won't have a chance to debug till next week; if anyone
> else could look into it sooner that would be great!

I did take the time to look at the failed build log:

  https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/2602399/details

But the log just cuts off for no apparent reason during the unpack
phase... I don't think the new u-boot is at fault there.

It built successfully on i686, armhf and aarch64 ... and the failed
x86_64 test is mysteriously absent? hrm:

  https://ci.guix.gnu.org/search?query=u-boot-tools-2020.04

But that's not hugely surprising, given that tests are not run on those
architectures.

Honestly, the most of the test suite run for u-boot-tools is a generic
test suite for u-boot sandbox platforms, and most of the tests are
unrelated to what u-boot-tools actually provides, so I wonder if it's
even appropriate to run many of the tests as part of u-boot-tools...

I'm not really sure the best way forward here.

live well,
  vagrant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: U-boot update revert.
@ 2020-04-23 19:46     ` Pierre Langlois
From: Pierre Langlois @ 2020-04-23 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Vagrant and Mathieu,

Vagrant Cascadian writes:

> On 2020-04-23, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
>> On 2020-04-23, Mathieu Othacehe wrote:
>>> I reverted the U-Boot update to 2020.04 because it breaks the build of
>>> u-boot-tools package. Could you please have a look?
>>
>> Hrm. Pretty sure it worked locally when I committed it...
>>
>> Unfortunately, won't have a chance to debug till next week; if anyone
>> else could look into it sooner that would be great!
>
> I did take the time to look at the failed build log:
>
>   https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/2602399/details
>
> But the log just cuts off for no apparent reason during the unpack
> phase... I don't think the new u-boot is at fault there.
>

> It built successfully on i686, armhf and aarch64 ... and the failed
> x86_64 test is mysteriously absent? hrm:
>
>   https://ci.guix.gnu.org/search?query=u-boot-tools-2020.04
>
> But that's not hugely surprising, given that tests are not run on those
> architectures.
>
> Honestly, the most of the test suite run for u-boot-tools is a generic
> test suite for u-boot sandbox platforms, and most of the tests are
> unrelated to what u-boot-tools actually provides, so I wonder if it's
> even appropriate to run many of the tests as part of u-boot-tools...
>
> I'm not really sure the best way forward here.

I noticed the revert today and got a chance to take a look, it seems
u-boot-tools can't find sdl2:

```
make[2]: sdl2-config: Command not found
make[2]: sdl2-config: Command not found
make[2]: sdl2-config: Command not found
make[2]: sdl2-config: Command not found
../arch/sandbox/cpu/sdl.c:10:10: fatal error: SDL2/SDL.h: No such file or directory
#include <SDL2/SDL.h>
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
```

Switching u-boot's dependency on sdl to sdl2 fixed it for me locally!

I can send a patch tomorrow if nobody beats me to it :-)

Thanks,
Pierre

* Re: U-boot update revert.
@ 2020-04-23 19:59       ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2020-04-23 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Langlois, Vagrant Cascadian; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

On 23/04/2020 21:46, Pierre Langlois wrote:
 > Switching u-boot's dependency on sdl to sdl2 fixed it for me locally!
 >
 > I can send a patch tomorrow if nobody beats me to it :-)

The u-boot sandbox switched to SDL2 recently, see:

https://gitlab.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot/-/commit/96d0cd460430f18d0f22eead5409ed3dc53b4c4e

--
Vincent Legoll