unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Do we want versioned symbols in ncurses?
@ 2022-04-12  3:04 B. Wilson
From: B. Wilson @ 2022-04-12  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey Guix,

Is there any particular reason why our current ncurses packages builds without
versioned symbols? Upstream specifies only default versions (i.e. via @@), no
forced ones, so IIUC that should make the library drop-in replaceable for
everything we have so far. Am I missing something?

Building with symbols is easy enough: just configure --with-versioned-syms=yes.

I ran into this after encountering a project that explicitly uses ncurses
symbol versions. It is simple enough to carry a custom ncurses in my personal
channel for this, but if possible I thought it would be cool to have it in the
main one.

Thoughts?