unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* EOMA68-A20 preproduction unit for dev work
@ 2017-11-10  0:35 Eric Bavier
From: Eric Bavier @ 2017-11-10  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix,

There may be an opportunity to get a preproduction EOMA68-A20 unit from
lkcl.  He'd like them to be used for either hardware or software
development.  I'm not sure that I have the time or necessary experience
to help in that way myself, but I'd like to still support the project
and I'd really like to see Guix(SD) up and running there.

I know we already have a few people here who have been working on
arm/aarch64 things.  If anyone is interested in working towards
Guix(SD) on the EOMA68-A20, I'd be willing to sponsor the cost of the
preproduction hardware.  Please let me know so that we can discuss with
lkcl and arrange it.

`~Eric

* Re: EOMA68-A20 preproduction unit for dev work
@ 2017-11-10 10:01 ` Adam Van Ymeren
From: Adam Van Ymeren @ 2017-11-10 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Eric Bavier

On 10 November 2017 07:35:50 GMT+07:00, Eric Bavier <ericbavier@centurylink.net> wrote:
>Hello Guix,
>
>There may be an opportunity to get a preproduction EOMA68-A20 unit from
>lkcl.  He'd like them to be used for either hardware or software
>development.  I'm not sure that I have the time or necessary experience
>to help in that way myself, but I'd like to still support the project
>and I'd really like to see Guix(SD) up and running there.
>
>I know we already have a few people here who have been working on
>arm/aarch64 things.  If anyone is interested in working towards
>Guix(SD) on the EOMA68-A20, I'd be willing to sponsor the cost of the
>preproduction hardware.  Please let me know so that we can discuss with
>lkcl and arrange it.
>
>`~Eric

Hey Eric, always exciting to see posts in in the lists for one project you're interested in about other projects you're interested in.

For what its worth I will be receiving a preproduction unit from lkcl.  I will prioritize whatever Luke needs first, but I would like to work on porting GuixSD as it is my preferred distro and the best path forward for GNU.

That being said I'd encourage anyone else interested to peruse it as well as I have no idea how long it may take me.

* Re: EOMA68-A20 preproduction unit for dev work
@ 2017-11-10 10:09   ` Eric Bavier
From: Eric Bavier @ 2017-11-10 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Van Ymeren; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Adam,

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 17:01:36 +0700
Adam Van Ymeren <adam@vany.ca> wrote:

> On 10 November 2017 07:35:50 GMT+07:00, Eric Bavier <ericbavier@centurylink.net> wrote:
> >Hello Guix,
> >
> >There may be an opportunity to get a preproduction EOMA68-A20 unit from
> >lkcl.  He'd like them to be used for either hardware or software
> >development.  I'm not sure that I have the time or necessary experience
> >to help in that way myself, but I'd like to still support the project
> >and I'd really like to see Guix(SD) up and running there.
> >
> >I know we already have a few people here who have been working on
> >arm/aarch64 things.  If anyone is interested in working towards
> >Guix(SD) on the EOMA68-A20, I'd be willing to sponsor the cost of the
> >preproduction hardware.  Please let me know so that we can discuss with
> >lkcl and arrange it.
> >
> >`~Eric
>
> Hey Eric, always exciting to see posts in in the lists for one
> project you're interested in about other projects you're interested
> in.

Indeed :)

> For what its worth I will be receiving a preproduction unit from
> lkcl.

Very cool!

>  I will prioritize whatever Luke needs first, but I would like
> to work on porting GuixSD as it is my preferred distro and the best
> path forward for GNU.

Sounds like a good plan.  I also think they're both important projects,
so thank you for your help already.

> That being said I'd encourage anyone else interested to peruse it as
> well as I have no idea how long it may take me.

We may have a small team of people working on it then. :)

@ 2017-11-10 10:22   ` Eric Bavier
From: Eric Bavier @ 2017-11-10 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 14:52:12 +0100
Mathieu Othacehe <m.othacehe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> > arm/aarch64 things.  If anyone is interested in working towards
> > Guix(SD) on the EOMA68-A20, I'd be willing to sponsor the cost of the
> > preproduction hardware.  Please let me know so that we can discuss with
> > lkcl and arrange it.
>
> Louis Pearson bring this subject a few month ago on this ML :
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-05/msg00355.html.

Right, I remember seeing this conversation.  And now there's another
concrete opporunity.

> I'm currently working on porting GuixSD on a beaglebone black, and would
> still be really interested by the EOMA68-A20 board :)

Your bootloader patches have been really great!  It'd be great to have
you working on the EOMA68.  Let's discuss. :)

@ 2017-11-10 13:52 ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2017-11-10 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bavier; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Eric,

> arm/aarch64 things.  If anyone is interested in working towards
> Guix(SD) on the EOMA68-A20, I'd be willing to sponsor the cost of the
> preproduction hardware.  Please let me know so that we can discuss with
> lkcl and arrange it.

Louis Pearson bring this subject a few month ago on this ML :
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-05/msg00355.html.

I'm currently working on porting GuixSD on a beaglebone black, and would
still be really interested by the EOMA68-A20 board :)

Thanks,

Mathieu

* Re: EOMA68-A20 preproduction unit for dev work
@ 2017-11-10 14:07   ` Daniel Pimentel
From: Daniel Pimentel @ 2017-11-10 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: guix-devel, Guix-devel

It's cool!

I'll waiting for it and I'll try to help too.

thanks,

---
Daniel Pimentel (d4n1)

@ 2017-11-10 14:10 ` Daniel Pimentel
From: Daniel Pimentel @ 2017-11-10 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bavier; +Cc: guix-devel, Guix-devel

It's cool. I have a BBB and I waiting for my EOMA68. So, I want trying
run GuixSD on it too.

Thanks,

---
Daniel Pimentel (d4n1)