unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Allow system configuration without a bootloader
@ 2020-01-01 15:31 kanichos
From: kanichos @ 2020-01-01 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello.

I am very happy with manually setting up my boot programs.  On UEFI systems I don’t use a standalone bootloader at all, because I think it is so unnecessary, and rely on Linux ‘EFI stub’ functionality.  I don’t ever want any automatic scripts to intervene.

For a couple of years I have used this:
(bootloader (grub-configuration (target "/dev/null")))
It works, but produces an ugly error during configuration.

I believe the field should actually be made optional.

* Re: Allow system configuration without a bootloader
@ 2020-01-01 21:12 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-01-01 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, kanichos

Le 1 janvier 2020 10:31:08 GMT-05:00, kanichos@yandex.ru a écrit :
>Hello.
>
>I am very happy with manually setting up my boot programs.  On UEFI
>systems I don’t use a standalone bootloader at all, because I think it
>is so unnecessary, and rely on Linux ‘EFI stub’ functionality.  I don’t
>ever want any automatic scripts to intervene.
>
>For a couple of years I have used this:
>(bootloader (grub-configuration (target "/dev/null")))
>It works, but produces an ugly error during configuration.
>
>I believe the field should actually be made optional.

Have tried to use --no-bootloader when reconfiguring?

* Re: Allow system configuration without a bootloader
@ 2020-01-01 21:39   ` kanichos
From: kanichos @ 2020-01-01 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller, guix-devel@gnu.org

Yes, AFAIR it only works with ‘init’ and has no effect at all with ‘reconfigure’.

@ 2020-01-02 22:28     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-01-02 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kanichos@yandex.ru; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hi,

"kanichos@yandex.ru" <kanichos@yandex.ru> skribis:

> Yes, AFAIR it only works with ‘init’ and has no effect at all with ‘reconfigure’.

‘--no-bootloader’ should definitely work for ‘reconfigure’; could you
double-check and report a bug if it doesn’t work?

Now, if that’s useful, we could easily define a “noop” bootloader in
(gnu bootloader noop), along these lines:

  (define noop-bootloader
    (bootloader
     (name 'noop)
     (package #f)
     (installer #~(cons #t))
     (configuration-file #f)
     (configuration-file-generator #f)))

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Allow system configuration without a bootloader
@ 2020-01-02 23:01       ` kanichos
From: kanichos @ 2020-01-02 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Yes, I just checked and it actually does work. I must have misremembered something.

I also should have looked into how the bootloaders are defined. Since it is just a public record type, I guess there is no problem whatsoever in reality.

Thanks.