unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Mes Bootstrapping demonstration
@ 2022-09-18  0:11 Aret San
From: Aret San @ 2022-09-18  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I heard that from GNU Mes 0.24 it's capable of being bootstrapped with
M2-Planet. But when I was trying to do that it ended up in some errors in
scm files `something related to (export)`. I also tried this in a busybox
docker image where there's no gcc (not even guile), The M2-Planet and
mescc-tools compiles fine but GNU Mes crashed the container in `sh
configure.sh`.

I was wondering if a step-by-step bootstrap instruction can be written for
a barebone system like a busybox container.

Thanks,
John Wang

* Re: Mes Bootstrapping demonstration
@ 2022-09-19  5:03 ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2022-09-19  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aret San; +Cc: guix-devel, bootstrappable

Aret San writes:

Hello Aret/John,

> I heard that from GNU Mes 0.24 it's capable of being bootstrapped with
> M2-Planet.

Yes, see the core-updates branch.

> But when I was trying to do that it ended up in some errors
> in scm files `something related to (export)`.

Sounds like a Nyacc problem.  You're missing GUILE_LOAD_PATH set to
nyacc/modules, or you don't have nyacc-1.00.2.

> I also tried this in a busybox docker image where there's no gcc (not
> even guile), The M2-Planet and mescc-tools compiles fine but GNU Mes
> crashed the container in `sh configure.sh`.

That could be, I haven't tried such tings.

> I was wondering if a step-by-step bootstrap instruction can be written
> for a barebone system like a busybox container.

If you don't want to use Guix, you may have a look at the live bootstrap
project

   https://github.com/fosslinux/live-bootstrap

Greetings,
Janneke

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org>  | GNU LilyPond https://lilypond.org
Freelance IT https://JoyOfSource.com | Avatar® https://AvatarAcademy.com

* Re: [bootstrappable] Re: Mes Bootstrapping demonstration
@ 2022-09-19  9:22   ` Andrius Štikonas
From: Andrius Štikonas @ 2022-09-19  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aret San, bootstrappable; +Cc: guix-devel, Jan Nieuwenhuizen