unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* UTF-8 progress bar
@ 2023-01-28 13:17 Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2023-01-28 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix!

I have a patch waiting (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/59975) that will
change progress bars to use some unicode characters. I think they look
better, but I'm a bit afraid they might not look right on some config,
so I'd like to know if your terminal is able to show these characters:

"▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▏▕"

If you are not using a unicode locale, this change will not affect you
as guix will fallback to the ascii style. If your terminal can't show
these characters and you have a UTF-8 locale (you'd run echo $LANG to
know that), please report your config (name of terminal app, locale,
fonts, …)!

* Re: UTF-8 progress bar
@ 2023-01-28 13:49 ` Maxime Devos
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Maxime Devos @ 2023-01-28 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller, guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 425 bytes --]

On 28-01-2023 14:17, Julien Lepiller wrote:
> Hi Guix!
>
> I have a patch waiting (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/59975) that will
> change progress bars to use some unicode characters. I think they look
> better, but I'm a bit afraid they might not look right on some config,
> so I'd like to know if your terminal is able to show these characters:
>
> "▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▏▕"

It is (mate-terminal).

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: UTF-8 progress bar
@ 2023-01-28 17:34 ` Kaelyn
From: Kaelyn @ 2023-01-28 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

> change progress bars to use some unicode characters. I think they look
> better, but I'm a bit afraid they might not look right on some config,
> so I'd like to know if your terminal is able to show these characters:
>
> "▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▏▕"
>
> If you are not using a unicode locale, this change will not affect you
> as guix will fallback to the ascii style. If your terminal can't show
> these characters and you have a UTF-8 locale (you'd run echo $LANG to
> know that), please report your config (name of terminal app, locale,
> fonts, …)!

I can see those characters in both xfce4-terminal and kitty.

Cheers,
Kaelyn

* Re: UTF-8 progress bar
@ 2023-01-29  4:21 ` Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2023-01-29  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

> Hi Guix!
>
> I have a patch waiting (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/59975) that will
> change progress bars to use some unicode characters. I think they look
> better, but I'm a bit afraid they might not look right on some config,
> so I'd like to know if your terminal is able to show these characters:
>
> "▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▏▕"
>
> If you are not using a unicode locale, this change will not affect you
> as guix will fallback to the ascii style. If your terminal can't show
> these characters and you have a UTF-8 locale (you'd run echo $LANG to
> know that), please report your config (name of terminal app, locale,
> fonts, …)!

They won't work in Linux (kernel) console, despite $LANG="en_US.utf8".

--
Akib Azmain Turja, GPG key: 70018CE5819F17A3BBA666AFE74F0EFA922AE7F5
Fediverse: akib@hostux.social

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: UTF-8 progress bar
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-01-30 22:02 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-01-30 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

👋

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:

> I have a patch waiting (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/59975) that will
> change progress bars to use some unicode characters. I think they look
> better, but I'm a bit afraid they might not look right on some config,
> so I'd like to know if your terminal is able to show these characters:
>
> "▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▏▕"

Confirmed to work for me in xterm and Emacs on X11 (Guix System).
👍

Ludo’.

* Re: UTF-8 progress bar
@ 2023-01-30 23:34   ` bokr
From: bokr @ 2023-01-30 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Julien Lepiller, guix-devel

Hi Ludo, Akib, et al,

On +2023-01-30 23:02:43 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> 👋
  ^^--- interesting: I see that thumb up emoji in mutt's display,
  but not in emacs, which I have configured mutt to use as my editor.

> Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:
>
> > I have a patch waiting (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/59975) that will
> > change progress bars to use some unicode characters. I think they look
> > better, but I'm a bit afraid they might not look right on some config,
> > so I'd like to know if your terminal is able to show these characters:
> >
> > "▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▏▕"

     ^^^^^^^^---seems fine in tilix and Emacs PureOS/Wayland/Gnom
> Confirmed to work for me in xterm and Emacs on X11 (Guix System).
> 👍
  ^^---as above

> Ludo’.

I suspect those characters could be made to work in Akib's console
if his kernel supports KMS and setfont etc ..

So I guess you, Akib, mean $LANG="en_US.utf8" in your execution
context is insufficient to make your system show the utf8 charaters
in question, not that there's no fix possible? ;)

IDK, but perhaps your app could use a wrapper that sets up a font,
along with a utf8 map that will show the necessay characters?

See:
    info setfont
and
    info showconsolefont

HTH
--
Regards,
Bengt Richter

* Re: UTF-8 progress bar
@ 2023-01-31  0:26     ` Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2023-01-31  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bokr; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, Julien Lepiller, guix-devel

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 3:35 PM <bokr@bokr.com> wrote:

> I suspect those characters could be made to work in Akib's console
> if his kernel supports KMS and setfont etc ..

The characters displayed correctly in my Linux virtual console VT2
after I ran this command in Bash:

    setfont /gnu/store/iga6jf0krlh135zca7y6f1f7c4ar32z2-font-gnu-unifont-15.0.01-psf/share/consolefonts/Unifont-APL8x16.psf.gz

I was logged in as root. The variable $LC_ALL appeared to be empty. My
VT2 is managed by Greetd.

Hope that helps!

Kind regards,
Felix Lechner

* Re: UTF-8 progress bar
@ 2023-01-31 10:55       ` Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2023-01-31 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
  Cc: bokr, Felix Lechner, Ludovic Courtès, Julien Lepiller

distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> The characters displayed correctly in my Linux virtual console VT2
> after I ran this command in Bash:
>
>     setfont /gnu/store/iga6jf0krlh135zca7y6f1f7c4ar32z2-font-gnu-unifont-15.0.01-psf/share/consolefonts/Unifont-APL8x16.psf.gz

Thanks, it worked!

--

@ 2023-01-31 13:03     ` Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2023-01-31 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bokr; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, Julien Lepiller, guix-devel

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 3:35 PM <bokr@bokr.com> wrote:

> IDK, but perhaps your app could use a wrapper that sets up a font,
> along with a utf8 map that will show the necessay characters?

Should we use the GNU Unifont [1][2] for virtual terminals by default?

With support for the languages below, it may be superior to whatever
we are using currently.

Kind regards
Felix Lechner

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Unifont
[2] https://unifoundry.com/unifont/

* * *

Full Language Support [https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/gnu-unifont]:
Afrikaans, Arabic, Archaic Greek Letters, Armenian, Baltic, Basic
Cyrillic, Basic Greek, Basic Latin, Bengali, Catalan, Central
European, Cherokee, Chess Symbols, Chinese Zhuyin Fuhao, Claudian
Letters, Coptic, Devanagari, Dutch, Esperanto, Ethiopic, Euro, Farsi,
Georgian, Gujarati, Gurmukhi, Hanunó'o, Hebrew, Igbo Onwu, IPA,
Japanese Jinmeiyo, Japanese Kokuji, Kannada, Kazakh, Khmer, Korean
Hangul, Lao, Latin Ligatures, Malayalam, Mongolian, Myanmar, New Tai
Lue, N’Ko, Ogham, Oriya, Osmanya, Pan African Latin, Pashto, Pinyin,
Polytonic Greek, Romanian, Runic, Simplified Chinese, Sindhi, Sinhala,
Syriac, Tai Le, Tai Tham (Lanna), Tamil, Telugu, Thaana, Thai,
Tibetan, Tifinagh, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Uighur, Unified
Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics, Urdu, Vai, Vietnamese, Western
European, Yi