unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* `check' phase for the emacs build system
@ 2017-03-28 14:38 Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2017-03-28 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Many emacs packages have tests in something like
"packagename-tests.el". Would it be a good idea to add a `check' phase
to the emacs build system that looks for these test files, and attempts
to run tests?

Regards,
Arun Isaac.

* Re: `check' phase for the emacs build system
@ 2017-03-31 19:00 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2017-03-31 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac; +Cc: guix-devel

Arun Isaac (2017-03-28 20:08 +0530) wrote:

> Many emacs packages have tests in something like
> "packagename-tests.el".

How many?  My impression is that only few of them have.  Anyway...

> Would it be a good idea to add a `check' phase
> to the emacs build system that looks for these test files, and attempts
> to run tests?

... I would say: go for it if you think it's worth.  However, I think
we'll have a lot of problems trying to run such tests.

--
Alex

* Re: `check' phase for the emacs build system
@ 2017-04-02 16:50   ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2017-04-02 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

> How many?  My impression is that only few of them have.  Anyway...

>> Would it be a good idea to add a `check' phase
>> to the emacs build system that looks for these test files, and attempts
>> to run tests?
>
> ... I would say: go for it if you think it's worth.  However, I think
> we'll have a lot of problems trying to run such tests.

I noticed that the upstream of several emacs packages actually have
tests, but the Guix package definitions don't run them. I'll start by
sending patches adding check phases for these packages. If there is
enough of a need, we can later include a check phase in the
emacs-build-system itself.