unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* merging or rebasing for wip- branches?
@ 2019-07-31 14:54 Robert Vollmert
From: Robert Vollmert @ 2019-07-31 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

I’ve been working on some patches on the wip-haskell-updates branch. For now,
I’ve been making new commits, and occasionally merging master, not least
because forced push is rejected. But this makes the branch more messy than
necessary — do you generally not rebase the wip-branches, or if not, could I
be allowed to force-push to that branch?

Cheers
Robert

* Re: merging or rebasing for wip- branches?
@ 2019-07-31 15:27 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-07-31 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Vollmert; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Robert,

> I’ve been working on some patches on the wip-haskell-updates branch. For now,
> I’ve been making new commits, and occasionally merging master, not least
> because forced push is rejected. But this makes the branch more messy than
> necessary — do you generally not rebase the wip-branches, or if not, could I
> be allowed to force-push to that branch?

You can delete the branch and then re-create it.  That’s equivalent to a
force push and that’s totally fine for wip-* branches.  (Not so
convenient, but I don’t know if we can relax the force push restriction
easily.)

We only merge master into wip branches when we’ve already built the
branch and we just want to touch it up a little without invalidating
most of the builds.

--
Ricardo

* Re: merging or rebasing for wip- branches?
@ 2019-07-31 15:54   ` Robert Vollmert
From: Robert Vollmert @ 2019-07-31 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

> On 31. Jul 2019, at 17:27, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
>
>> I’ve been working on some patches on the wip-haskell-updates branch. For now,
>> I’ve been making new commits, and occasionally merging master, not least
>> because forced push is rejected. But this makes the branch more messy than
>> necessary — do you generally not rebase the wip-branches, or if not, could I
>> be allowed to force-push to that branch?
>
> You can delete the branch and then re-create it.  That’s equivalent to a
> force push and that’s totally fine for wip-* branches.  (Not so
> convenient, but I don’t know if we can relax the force push restriction
> easily.)
>
> We only merge master into wip branches when we’ve already built the
> branch and we just want to touch it up a little without invalidating
> most of the builds.

Alright, thanks! That works for me.