unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Ivan Shmakov <ivan@siamics.net>
To: guix-devel@gnu.org, bug-hurd@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Regarding copyright assignment to FSF
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 03:42:47 +0000	[thread overview]

	This seem somewhat off-topic for the lists, so I’m open to
	suggestions on what other forum to use (should anyone wish
	to continue this thread.)  My suggestion is, as usual,
	to use a Usenet newsgroup, such as comp.misc, for the purpose.
	(See http://www.aioe.org/ for a free, no registration needed,
	IPv4-only newsserver; or http://www.eternal-september.org/ for
	free registration, IPv6 + IPv4 one.)

 >> It would be interesting to consider dropping the copyright assignment
 >> requirement for Hurd/Mach/MiG.  For what remains primarily a hobby
 >> project, this looks to me like a hindrance more than anything else.

 > I imagine it is slightly inconvenient for new contributors, but not a
 > hindrance in my opinion.

	I’m going to concur; there’s some delay, sure, but not that much
	of actual effort on the part of the new contributor.  Unless, of
	course, one’s employer is uncooperative, but I’m afraid that
	can’t be helped.

 > It ensures that FSF has complete control of the licensing.

	And enforcement.

	I’d argue that in a better world, no copyright assignment would
	be necessary (nor would be GPL, but that’s another matter), as
	anyone would be able to bring an infringement case to the court
	entirely by themselves.  As it is, however, some considerations
	apply.

	As I understand it (though IANAL), there’re two parts to this
	story.  First of all, copyright enforcement is, in general, a
	process that itself requires certain effort.  Do you have time
	to spare on filing a suit?  Will you have some more to see it
	through?  Do you know a good lawyer to hire, or do you have the
	necessary skills to represent yourself in the court?  What remedy
	will you seek?

	Moreover, /copyleft/ enforcement is tricky by itself.  Copyright
	was devised, basically, as a legal tool for author to sue his
	publisher for royalties.  As such, even though that does seem
	to slowly change, the first question of the court for your newly-
	brought GPL-infringement case would be: what sum, in your opinion,
	does the company owe you?  Are you prepared to answer that?

	Given the above, I’m inclined to think that assigning copyright
	to a party legally prepared to fight for it to be a sensible
	choice /whether it is required or not./  And /especially/ for
	hobby projects; for I presume that for something you do for
	living, you’ll be quite in position to estimate damages arising
	from someone infringing your copyright.

	From here, we may try to rank different charities on how well
	they handle their enforcement cases.  My guess is that FSF will
	come near the top.

	The other part concerns one’s employer, and the terms of the
	contract.  For instance, the contract I’m currently under says
	that I’m entitled to copyright on any and all works I create,
	/unless/ I’ve been specifically directed by the employer to
	create any given work.

	From what I’ve heard, however, some contracts allow the
	/employer/ (variant: school) to claim copyright over any work
	created by the employee during the term of the contract.  In
	this case, it’s arguably better for all parties involved to have
	the employer’s position clarified and known.  Copyright
	assignment is one, though perhaps not the only, way it can be done.

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://am-1.org/~ivan/