unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Re: 02/02: image: Disable compression for ISO images.
       [not found] ` <20200427140926.3B6CF20B7A@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2020-04-27 15:13   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-04-27 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: Guix-devel

Mathieu,

guix-commits@gnu.org 写道:
> +   ;; XXX: Temporarily disable compression to speed-up the
> tests.
> +   (compression? #f)))

Interesting!  What kind of improvement do you see, roughly?

When I added zlib compression I was surprised to learn that here
it made no significant difference in wall clock time (less than a
minute; 5% or so) or CPU time.  The disks they spin and CPU she is
fast, but still I would have noticed a spike.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: 02/02: image: Disable compression for ISO images.
@ 2020-04-27 16:00     ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2020-04-27 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hey Tobias,

> guix-commits@gnu.org 写道:
>> +   ;; XXX: Temporarily disable compression to speed-up the tests.
>> +   (compression? #f)))
>
> Interesting!  What kind of improvement do you see, roughly?

I posted some figures here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-04/msg00374.html.

Here's a more complete summary:

|                | Host (wip-disk-image) | VM (master) |
|----------------+-----------------------+-------------|
| No compression | 4min                  | 12min       |
| Compression    | 8min                  | 19min       |

> When I added zlib compression I was surprised to learn that here it made no
> significant difference in wall clock time (less than a minute; 5% or so) or
> CPU time.  The disks they spin and CPU she is fast, but still I would have
> noticed a spike.

Strange we have different results, those benches are not very accurate
though.

Thanks,

Mathieu

* Re: 02/02: image: Disable compression for ISO images.
@ 2020-04-28  9:37       ` Bengt Richter
From: Bengt Richter @ 2020-04-28  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: Guix-devel

On +2020-04-27 18:00:05 +0200, Mathieu Othacehe wrote:

> Hey Tobias,
>
> > guix-commits@gnu.org 写道:
> >> +   ;; XXX: Temporarily disable compression to speed-up the tests.
> >> +   (compression? #f)))
> >
> > Interesting!  What kind of improvement do you see, roughly?
>
> I posted some figures here:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-04/msg00374.html.
>
> Here's a more complete summary:

> |                | Host (wip-disk-image) | VM (master) |
> |----------------+-----------------------+-------------|
> | No compression | 4min                  | 12min       |
> | Compression    | 8min                  | 19min       |
>
> > When I added zlib compression I was surprised to learn that here it made no
> > significant difference in wall clock time (less than a minute; 5% or so) or
> > CPU time.  The disks they spin and CPU she is fast, but still I would have
> > noticed a spike.
>
> Strange we have different results, those benches are not very accurate
> though.

Might it throw some light to see your different results for
$ lscpu|grep -i bogo
$ top -n1|grep ^MiB
At least I'm curious :)

--