unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* [GSoC 2020] Clojure importer for Guix?
@ 2020-03-21  0:41 Leandro Doctors
From: Leandro Doctors @ 2020-03-21  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

 On Tue, 3 Mar 2020 at 19:32, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:
> Based on your interests (Clojure, Leiningen, etc.), you should
> consider something around a Clojure "importer".

Hi, Simon, all,

As promised, I have retaken this project :-)
Sorry for the delay in writing.

I am preparing my proposal. I will send it in the next few days.

I am currently checking current guix importers, and their documentation.
In particular, I have been reading the source code from the Python and
Haskell importers.

I am also checking Jelle Licht's 2016 GSoC project (the npm importer).
From what I understand, Jelle's code was never merged back into guix.
As I'm trying to learn from the past, could anyone please ellaborate
on why was that code never merged?

Regarding packaging clojupyter... I understand that I will need at
least one full application to eventually test the importer. That being
said... is there any particular value in packaging clojupyter? Could
you please name a few "essential" Clojure projects you would like to
see packaged for guix?

Thanks,
Leandro

* Re: [GSoC 2020] Clojure importer for Guix?
@ 2020-03-21 16:30 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-03-21 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leandro Doctors; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

Leandro Doctors <ldoctors@gmail.com> skribis:

> I am preparing my proposal. I will send it in the next few days.

Nice!

> I am currently checking current guix importers, and their documentation.
> In particular, I have been reading the source code from the Python and
> Haskell importers.
>
> I am also checking Jelle Licht's 2016 GSoC project (the npm importer).
> From what I understand, Jelle's code was never merged back into guix.
> As I'm trying to learn from the past, could anyone please ellaborate
> on why was that code never merged?
>
> Regarding packaging clojupyter... I understand that I will need at
> least one full application to eventually test the importer. That being
> said... is there any particular value in packaging clojupyter? Could
> you please name a few "essential" Clojure projects you would like to
> see packaged for guix?

I think Clojupyter would be nice to have.  One could then run:

  guix environment --ad-hoc jupyter clojupyer -- jupyter notebook

to spawn a Clojure-enabled notebook.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: [GSoC 2020] Clojure importer for Guix?
@ 2020-03-21 17:56 ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2020-03-21 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leandro Doctors; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 09:41:05PM -0300, Leandro Doctors wrote:
> I am also checking Jelle Licht's 2016 GSoC project (the npm importer).
> From what I understand, Jelle's code was never merged back into guix.
> As I'm trying to learn from the past, could anyone please ellaborate
> on why was that code never merged?

Circular dependencies on a large scale. We don't really have an answer
for that.

Pj.