unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* The Guix Days! (FOSDEM 2020)
@ 2019-12-10 12:43 Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2019-12-10 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Dear all,

FOSDEM is coming early February and not only are we organizing the GNU
Guix days, we also have a devroom with exciting talks on Guile, Guix,
and Mes! See

  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2020

and

  https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/track/minimalistic_experimental_and_emerging_languages/

FOSDEM is the greatest free software conference on earth (in my opinion)
and almost everyone who goes once keeps coming because there is
something for everyone.

See last years amazing program for Saturday:

  https://archive.fosdem.org/2019/schedule/day/saturday/

Both FOSDEM and Guix days are free to attend! The evening program is
great too - you can find hacker nirvana.

We can only receive up to 40 people for the Guix days (last year we
had 35) and we need to reserve the catering. So, please sign up on the
libreplanet link above, if you intend to come. If we happen to have
too many people to attend the meeting the 40 who signed up have a
guaranteed entry. If you don't want to subscribe to the wiki you can
send us a request to add.

Pjotr & Manolis.

 n Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 05:20:41PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Hi Guix,
>
> Chris Marusich kindly took the time to write a detailed report about a
> session from the Guix Days, and it’s now up on the Guix blog:
>
>     https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2019/guix-days-bootstrapping-arm/
>
> I don’t want to spoil it for you, so I encourage you to take a peek at
> it yourselves to read about challenges of the past, the present, and the
> future when it comes to bootstrapping ARM systems.
>
> Not only does the blog post explain the problems and technical fixes,
> but Chris takes a few steps back to look at the bigger picture and
> invites you to think big.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> --
> Ricardo

* The Guix Days: stream?
@ 2019-12-12 17:57 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-12-12 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi!

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 at 13:51, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> wrote:

> We can only receive up to 40 people for the Guix days (last year we
> had 35) and we need to reserve the catering. So, please sign up on the
> libreplanet link above, if you intend to come. If we happen to have
> too many people to attend the meeting the 40 who signed up have a
> guaranteed entry. If you don't want to subscribe to the wiki you can
> send us a request to add.

Previously, we discussed on the possibility to video stream chunks of
these 2 days.

First question: do we want?
Other said, are people interested in remotely watch because they
cannot attend? (live roughly between 9am and 5pm, Brussels hours, so
UTC+1, I guess)

If yes, second question: will the ICAB network be strong enough? How
can we test?

IMHO, I should be nice to at least share the video projector and the
sound. For example with Jitsi (unfortunately not yet packaged :-)).
Does anyone have experience?

Moreover, we could imagine that someone remotely presents a short
(well prepared) demo about an amazing hack.

Well, if we agree on sharing what is projected and said, it means that
we need a microphone to capture the voice. Anyone?

Third question: do we want to video stream the floor/room?
If yes, we need a camera. Anyone?
And if yes, we probably also need some copyright assignments for the attendees.

Well, IMO, I am not sure it is useful to share what happens on the
floor... I do not know.

WDYT?

All the best,
simon

* Re: The Guix Days: stream?
@ 2019-12-12 18:40   ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2019-12-12 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 06:57:27PM +0100, zimoun wrote:
> Hi!
>

> On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 at 13:51, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> wrote:
>
> > We can only receive up to 40 people for the Guix days (last year we
> > had 35) and we need to reserve the catering. So, please sign up on the
> > libreplanet link above, if you intend to come. If we happen to have
> > too many people to attend the meeting the 40 who signed up have a
> > guaranteed entry. If you don't want to subscribe to the wiki you can
> > send us a request to add.
>
> Previously, we discussed on the possibility to video stream chunks of
> these 2 days.
>
> First question: do we want?

I think recording is a fine idea.

> Other said, are people interested in remotely watch because they
> cannot attend? (live roughly between 9am and 5pm, Brussels hours, so
> UTC+1, I guess)
>

> If yes, second question: will the ICAB network be strong enough? How
> can we test?

Nope. Going by other years you should not rely on that. It is
unstable.

* Re: The Guix Days: stream?
@ 2019-12-13 17:53     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-12-13 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Pjotr,

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 at 19:40, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> wrote:

> > If yes, second question: will the ICAB network be strong enough? How
> > can we test?
>
> Nope. Going by other years you should not rely on that. It is
> unstable.

So it is a no go to stream, isn't it?
I mean, how could we cast without network?

Ideas very welcome... :-)

All the best,
simon

* Re: The Guix Days: stream?
@ 2019-12-15  1:51     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-12-15  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Andreas,

> First question: do we want?

Pjotr: yes
Andreas: no

That's why I raised the question. :-)

In summary:
 - it seems complicated to stream in live because of the ICAB network.
 - we could still record chunks and upload them a bit later.

Other opinions / answers to the question: do we want to record?

All the best,
simon

* Re: The Guix Days! (FOSDEM 2020)
@ 2019-12-16  4:55 ` Bengt Richter
From: Bengt Richter @ 2019-12-16  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Pjotr,

On +2019-12-10 06:43:51 -0600, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> FOSDEM is coming early February and not only are we organizing the GNU
> Guix days, we also have a devroom with exciting talks on Guile, Guix,
> and Mes! See
>
>   https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2020
>
> and
>
>   https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/track/minimalistic_experimental_and_emerging_languages/
>
> FOSDEM is the greatest free software conference on earth (in my opinion)
> and almost everyone who goes once keeps coming because there is
> something for everyone.
>
> See last years amazing program for Saturday:
>
>   https://archive.fosdem.org/2019/schedule/day/saturday/
>
> Both FOSDEM and Guix days are free to attend! The evening program is
> great too - you can find hacker nirvana.
>
> We can only receive up to 40 people for the Guix days (last year we
> had 35) and we need to reserve the catering. So, please sign up on the
> libreplanet link above, if you intend to come. If we happen to have
> too many people to attend the meeting the 40 who signed up have a
> guaranteed entry. If you don't want to subscribe to the wiki you can
> send us a request to add.
>
> Pjotr & Manolis.

Thanks for the links!

Looks super interesting, so I hope the minimalistic stuff especially
is recorded for later streaming.

I am going to try to come for the fringe plus FOSDEM,
though logistics may be tight for me (what if I am forced to be no-show?)

But if there is room for me in the 40, I would appreciate being added :)

--
Regards,
Bengt Richter

* Re: The Guix Days! (FOSDEM 2020)
@ 2019-12-16  7:04   ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2019-12-16  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bengt Richter; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 08:55:49PM -0800, Bengt Richter wrote:
> > We can only receive up to 40 people for the Guix days (last year we
> > had 35) and we need to reserve the catering. So, please sign up on the
> > libreplanet link above, if you intend to come. If we happen to have
> > too many people to attend the meeting the 40 who signed up have a
> > guaranteed entry. If you don't want to subscribe to the wiki you can
> > send us a request to add.
> >
> > Pjotr & Manolis.
> >

> Thanks for the links!
>
> Looks super interesting, so I hope the minimalistic stuff especially
> is recorded for later streaming.
>
> I am going to try to come for the fringe plus FOSDEM,
> though logistics may be tight for me (what if I am forced to be no-show?)
>
> But if there is room for me in the 40, I would appreciate being added :)

I have added you. 40 sign ups are guaranteed to come in :). When you
are sure you can't make it, please inform us.

Everyone: the list is filling up faster than in other years, so be
sure to sign up.

Pj.

* Re: The Guix Days: stream?
@ 2019-12-16 18:22   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2019-12-16 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 06:57:27PM +0100, zimoun wrote:
> Previously, we discussed on the possibility to video stream chunks of
> these 2 days.

Honestly, I do not think it is a good idea for an "un-conference".
These two days are more devoted to hacking, hands-on activities and
spontaneous working groups, and less for "formal" talks; the latter have
their place in the FOSDEM track.

Andreas

* Re: The Guix Days: stream?
@ 2019-12-16 19:16       ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2019-12-16 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 02:51:20AM +0100, zimoun wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>

> > First question: do we want?
>
> Pjotr: yes
> Andreas: no
>
> That's why I raised the question. :-)
>

> In summary:
>  - it seems complicated to stream in live because of the ICAB network.
>  - we could still record chunks and upload them a bit later.
>
> Other opinions / answers to the question: do we want to record?

Certainly. At least the talks. More on that in the next mail.

Pj.

* Presentations for the Guix Days! (FOSDEM 2020)
@ 2019-12-16 19:27 ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2019-12-16 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

As Andreas pointed out, the Guix days are an unconference. That is, it
gets organized on the spot so we have ample time to discuss important
topics and hack.

Even so, we would like to invite a few short presentations (15
minutes) for the two mornings. We are not looking for introductory
talks, but it may be good to prepare and bring up material that can be
used the rest of the day (and is of general interest). I, for one,
would not mind to hear a talk on hacking Guix in the REPL ;)

After the talk(s) we'll have a plenary to discuss Guix progress,
where we want to go and what we want to achieve while being in
Brussels (i.e., what working groups to form). This should only last
half an hour. The rest of the day is for resolving outstanding issues
and generating fruitful collaborations.

So, if anyone has a good idea for a talk feel free to post to Manolis,
Ludo and/or me.

Pj.

PS I forgot to mention last time, but it is possible to stay at the
ICAB venue. It is basic but cheap and Guix talk starts early at
breakfast. Just E-mail the folks at http://www.icab.be/

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 06:43:51AM -0600, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> FOSDEM is coming early February and not only are we organizing the GNU
> Guix days, we also have a devroom with exciting talks on Guile, Guix,
> and Mes! See
>
>   https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2020
>
> and
>
>   https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/track/minimalistic_experimental_and_emerging_languages/
>
> FOSDEM is the greatest free software conference on earth (in my opinion)
> and almost everyone who goes once keeps coming because there is
> something for everyone.
>
> See last years amazing program for Saturday:
>
>   https://archive.fosdem.org/2019/schedule/day/saturday/
>
> Both FOSDEM and Guix days are free to attend! The evening program is
> great too - you can find hacker nirvana.
>
> We can only receive up to 40 people for the Guix days (last year we
> had 35) and we need to reserve the catering. So, please sign up on the
> libreplanet link above, if you intend to come. If we happen to have
> too many people to attend the meeting the 40 who signed up have a
> guaranteed entry. If you don't want to subscribe to the wiki you can
> send us a request to add.
>
> Pjotr & Manolis.
>
>  n Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 05:20:41PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> > Hi Guix,
> >
> > Chris Marusich kindly took the time to write a detailed report about a
> > session from the Guix Days, and it’s now up on the Guix blog:
> >
> >     https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2019/guix-days-bootstrapping-arm/
> >
> > I don’t want to spoil it for you, so I encourage you to take a peek at
> > it yourselves to read about challenges of the past, the present, and the
> > future when it comes to bootstrapping ARM systems.
> >
> > Not only does the blog post explain the problems and technical fixes,
> > but Chris takes a few steps back to look at the bigger picture and
> > invites you to think big.
> >
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > --
> > Ricardo

* Re: Presentations for the Guix Days! (FOSDEM 2020)
@ 2020-01-06 22:13   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-01-06 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins, Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Pjotr,

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 at 20:37, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> wrote:

> As Andreas pointed out, the Guix days are an unconference. That is, it
> gets organized on the spot so we have ample time to discuss important
> topics and hack.

*If* I was not able to attend, I would like to be able to remotely ear
the discussions. I do not know if the ICAB network can support small
broadcast but I am in favor to at least try. :-)

To be clear, we could stream only the sound and the screen when
someone shows off with a nifty hack. ;-)
Just share the live for people who cannot travel (visa, money, ecology, etc.).

(I have recently participated to remote meeting and it was nice;
because as you maybe know France and especially Paris is living a long
public transportation strike so it is hard be in the same place.
Whatever!)

Well, I have used my (meta)University service named Rendez-vous by
RENATER but I am not sure it is allowed to used for non-university
stuff.

The 2 questions are:

 1. Who can bring a good quality microphone?
 2. What service could be used to webcast (voice+screen)? Jitsi?

@Ricardo: I remember you proposed something around point 1. Is it
still an option? Or not at all.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Presentations for the Guix Days! (FOSDEM 2020)
@ 2020-01-06 22:44     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-01-06 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: guix-devel

> *If* I was not able to attend, I would like to be able to remotely ear
> the discussions. I do not know if the ICAB network can support small
> broadcast but I am in favor to at least try. :-)
>

> To be clear, we could stream only the sound and the screen when
> someone shows off with a nifty hack. ;-)
> Just share the live for people who cannot travel (visa, money, ecology, etc.).

The ICAB network is not reliable.  With that many participants you often
can’t even connect at all, so I don’t think it’s feasible to stream
anything at all, even if it’s just a terrible 8kHz audio stream ;)

> The 2 questions are:
>
>  1. Who can bring a good quality microphone?
>  2. What service could be used to webcast (voice+screen)? Jitsi?
>

> @Ricardo: I remember you proposed something around point 1. Is it
> still an option? Or not at all.

I’m not going to attend this time.  Without a reliable network the
answers to these two questions become irrelevant, in my opinion.

--

@ 2020-01-06 22:58       ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-01-06 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ricardo,

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 23:44, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> The ICAB network is not reliable.  With that many participants you often
> can’t even connect at all, so I don’t think it’s feasible to stream
> anything at all, even if it’s just a terrible 8kHz audio stream ;)

Ok. I understand and I do not remember well how it was.

> I’m not going to attend this time.  Without a reliable network the
> answers to these two questions become irrelevant, in my opinion.

Oh no, sad news! No GWL and more importantly no beer sharing... Next time! :-)

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Presentations for the Guix Days! (FOSDEM 2020)
@ 2020-01-07 17:25         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-01-07 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: guix-devel

>> I’m not going to attend this time.  Without a reliable network the
>> answers to these two questions become irrelevant, in my opinion.
>
> Oh no, sad news! No GWL and more importantly no beer sharing... Next time! :-)

I’m very much looking forward to next time!  I hope that I’ll be able to
present our collective progress on the GWL then.

In the meantime I’ll be awaiting all the fruitful post-Guix Days
discussions and hacks.

--
Ricardo