unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* libgtk3-nocsd and LD_PRELOAD (Was: bug#33861: Problem building sources for guile-bash)
@ 2019-02-05 21:25 Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2019-02-05 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Ludo,

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 11:21:56 +0100
Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> skribis:
>
> > $ guix build -S guile-bash
> > ERROR: ld.so: object 'libgtk3-nocsd.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be
> > preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
>
> Plus, warranty void if you fiddle with LD_PRELOAD or LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> :-)

I haven't done anything. It was my Distro [yes, I should use a
different one, but still some key packages missing] :-)

I'm unsure on what to do with this, probably will just unset it
somewhere:

I'm using Guix on top of Ubuntu. Error appears when using programs
installed from Guix. After some investigations, I found out this
environment variable is set in:

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/51gtk3-nocsd-detect

      *)
          # not GNOME, and the user didn't specify GTK_CSD
          # themselves, so set it to 0
          if [ -z "$GTK_CSD" ] ; then
              GTK_CSD=0
          fi
          export GTK_CSD
          if [ x"$GTK_CSD"x = x"0"x ] ; then
              export
LD_PRELOAD="libgtk3-nocsd.so.0${LD_PRELOAD:+:$LD_PRE fi
          ;;

I'm currently using a non-GNOME windowing environment, so I'm in this case.

The library is this:

https://github.com/PCMan/gtk3-nocsd

It should make some things nicer if you don't use GNOME. This seams to
be a hack. Do we need this library in Guix too, to get some decorations
back?

Björn

* Re: libgtk3-nocsd and LD_PRELOAD
@ 2019-02-08 21:58 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-02-08 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Björn!

Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> skribis:

> I'm using Guix on top of Ubuntu. Error appears when using programs
> installed from Guix. After some investigations, I found out this
> environment variable is set in:
>
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/51gtk3-nocsd-detect
>
>       *)
>           # not GNOME, and the user didn't specify GTK_CSD
>           # themselves, so set it to 0
>           if [ -z "$GTK_CSD" ] ; then
>               GTK_CSD=0
>           fi
>           export GTK_CSD
>           if [ x"$GTK_CSD"x = x"0"x ] ; then
>               export
> LD_PRELOAD="libgtk3-nocsd.so.0${LD_PRELOAD:+:$LD_PRE fi
>           ;;
>
> I'm currently using a non-GNOME windowing environment, so I'm in this case.
>
> The library is this:
>
> https://github.com/PCMan/gtk3-nocsd
>
> It should make some things nicer if you don't use GNOME. This seams to
> be a hack. Do we need this library in Guix too, to get some decorations
> back?

Regardless of what this library does, if you need to preload it for
Guix-built applications, then this library should also be built from
Guix (otherwise you end up with several libcs, etc. in the same process,
which is never a good thing.)

So I’d recommend packaging this library and then you can hopefully
preload at will.  :-)

HTH!

Ludo’.

* Re: libgtk3-nocsd and LD_PRELOAD