unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* hydra.gnu.org off-line for maintenance
@ 2018-10-24  9:57 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-10-24  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, help-guix

Hello Guix,

The hydra.gnu.org build farm has been off-line since yesterday ~4PM UTC
and will remain off-line roughly until the end of the week.  The FSF
sysadmins (it’s hosted at the FSF’s data center) are performing a major
storage upgrade that happens to need more time than expected.

In the meantime, if you use mirror.hydra.gnu.org, you’ll still get
substitutes, though not the latest one.

If you use berlin.guixsd.org, everything is fine; if you don’t, now is
the time to add it to your substitute URLs!  See
<https://gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Substitutes.html>.

Apologies for the inconvenience!

Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: hydra.gnu.org off-line for maintenance
@ 2018-10-25 22:41 ` Luther Thompson
From: Luther Thompson @ 2018-10-25 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, help-guix

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 11:57:15 +0200
ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
> If you use berlin.guixsd.org, everything is fine; if you don’t, now is
> the time to add it to your substitute URLs!  See
> <https://gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Substitutes.html>.

How do we do that? I followed the link, but I can't find the info to
pass to `guix archive --authorize` anywhere.

Luther

* Re: hydra.gnu.org off-line for maintenance
@ 2018-10-26  6:01   ` Jonathan Brielmaier
From: Jonathan Brielmaier @ 2018-10-26  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luther Thompson, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, help-guix

On 10/26/18 12:41 AM, Luther Thompson wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 11:57:15 +0200
> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
>> If you use berlin.guixsd.org, everything is fine; if you don’t, now is
>> the time to add it to your substitute URLs!  See
>> <https://gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Substitutes.html>.
>
> How do we do that? I followed the link, but I can't find the info to
> pass to `guix archive --authorize` anywhere.

It's described here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#Substitute-Server-Authorization

So basically `guix archive --authorize < berlin.guixsd.org.pub`

and then run your commands with:
`--substitute-urls="https://berlin.guixsd.org`

I hope that helps :)

* Re: hydra.gnu.org off-line for maintenance
@ 2018-10-26  9:28     ` Thomas Danckaert
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2018-10-26  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jonathan.brielmaier; +Cc: guix-devel, help-guix

From: Jonathan Brielmaier <jonathan.brielmaier@web.de>
Subject: Re: hydra.gnu.org off-line for maintenance
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 08:01:11 +0200

> It's described here:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#Substitute-Server-Authorization
>
> So basically `guix archive --authorize < berlin.guixsd.org.pub`
>
> and then run your commands with:
> `--substitute-urls="https://berlin.guixsd.org`

Also, you may want to add this setting globally and permanently, so
you don't have to specify it every time you run guix.  You can do
this by passing the option to the guix daemon

  - when using guix on another distribution with systemd, you can
modify the the ExecStart line in
/etc/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service as follows:

ExecStart=/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix-daemon
--build-users-group=guixbuild
"--substitute-urls=https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org
https://berlin.guixsd.org"

  - when using GuixSD, modify guix-service in your system
configuration, by specifying the substitute-urls in the
configuration. (see guix-configuration in
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Base-Services.html
)

By the way: when revisiting this issue, I found the manual a bit
confusing.  You'll find all the information you need when you read
the entire section on substitutes from front to back, but when you
just try to find specific information using the headlines, it's a bit
confusing.  For example, to learn about --substitute-urls and the
daemon settings for other substitute servers, you'll need to read
"Official Substitute Server", which you might not do when looking to
add another server.  The subtitle for "Substitute Server
Authorization" says "How to enable or disable substitutes", but
doesn't give all the information you need to enable another
substitute server.

If people here agree, I'd be happy to send a documentation patch.

Sincerely,

Thomas

* Re: hydra.gnu.org off-line for maintenance
@ 2018-10-26  9:46       ` Thorsten Wilms
From: Thorsten Wilms @ 2018-10-26  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert, jonathan.brielmaier; +Cc: guix-devel, help-guix

On 26/10/2018 11.28, Thomas Danckaert wrote:

> Also, you may want to add this setting globally and permanently, so you
> don't have to specify it every time you run guix.  You can do this by
> passing the option to the guix daemon
>
>   - when using guix on another distribution with systemd, you can modify
> the the ExecStart line in /etc/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service as
> follows:
>
> ExecStart=/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix-daemon
> --build-users-group=guixbuild
> "--substitute-urls=https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org https://berlin.guixsd.org"

Shouldn't that be:
---
ExecStart=/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix-daemon
--build-users-group=guixbuild
--substitute-urls="https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org https://hydra.gnu.org
https://berlin.guixsd.org"
---
?

> By the way: when revisiting this issue, I found the manual a bit
> confusing.  You'll find all the information you need when you read the
> entire section on substitutes from front to back, but when you just try
> to find specific information using the headlines, it's a bit confusing.
> For example, to learn about --substitute-urls and the daemon settings
> for other substitute servers, you'll need to read "Official Substitute
> Server", which you might not do when looking to add another server.  The
> subtitle for "Substitute Server Authorization" says "How to enable or
> disable substitutes", but doesn't give all the information you need to
> enable another substitute server.
>
> If people here agree, I'd be happy to send a documentation patch.

For whatever it may be worth, when I first read about
https://berlin.guixsd.org, I wondered if it could/should be used
additionally, looked at the documentation, found it confusing and then
forgot about the issue.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

* Re: hydra.gnu.org off-line for maintenance
@ 2018-10-26 10:06       ` Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2018-10-26 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert; +Cc: guix-devel, help-guix, jonathan.brielmaier

Hi,

Thomas Danckaert <post@thomasdanckaert.be> writes:

> Also, you may want to add this setting globally and permanently, so you don't
> have to specify it every time you run guix.  You can do this by passing the
> option to the guix daemon
>
>  - when using guix on another distribution with systemd, you can modify the
> the ExecStart line in /etc/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service as follows:
>
> ExecStart=/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix-daemon
> --build-users-group=guixbuild "--substitute-urls=https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org
> https://berlin.guixsd.org"

Note that https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org doesn't work well either[1].  You
might be better off with just https://berlin.guixsd.org.

But I noticed today that https://berlin.guixsd.org doesn't evaluate
anything anymore[2], so you will only get old evaluations from it.

At the moment I can't find any working solution.

[1]: https://bugs.gnu.org/33151
[2]: https://berlin.guixsd.org/jobset/guix-master

Cheers,
Clément

* Re: hydra.gnu.org off-line for maintenance
@ 2018-10-26 13:40         ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2018-10-26 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: t_w_; +Cc: guix-devel, help-guix

Thorsten,

Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On 26/10/2018 11.28, Thomas Danckaert wrote:
>> ExecStart=/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix-daemon
>> --build-users-group=guixbuild
>> "--substitute-urls=https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org
>> https://berlin.guixsd.org"
>
> Shouldn't that be:
> ---
> ExecStart=/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix-daemon
> --build-users-group=guixbuild
> --substitute-urls="https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org
> https://hydra.gnu.org
> https://berlin.guixsd.org"
> ---
> ?

Slow ol' hydra.gnu.org shouldn't be used directly like this, even
though there's currently nothing stopping you from doing so and I
suspect many do.

The mirror should suffice.

Kind regards,

T G-R

* Re: hydra.gnu.org off-line for maintenance
@ 2018-10-26 15:26         ` Alex Vong
From: Alex Vong @ 2018-10-26 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Lassieur
  Cc: guix-devel, Thomas Danckaert, help-guix, alexvong1995

Hello,

For myself, I use the following option:

  --substitute-urls='https://berlin.guixsd.org https://mirror.guixsd.org https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org https://hydra.gnu.org'

I choose 'berlin.guixsd.org' to be the default because it seems to build
substitutes faster than 'hydra.gnu.org'.

Cheers,
Alex

Clément Lassieur <clement@lassieur.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Thomas Danckaert <post@thomasdanckaert.be> writes:
>
>> Also, you may want to add this setting globally and permanently, so you don't
>> have to specify it every time you run guix.  You can do this by passing the
>> option to the guix daemon
>>
>>  - when using guix on another distribution with systemd, you can modify the
>> the ExecStart line in /etc/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service as follows:
>>
>> ExecStart=/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix-daemon
>> --build-users-group=guixbuild "--substitute-urls=https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org
>> https://berlin.guixsd.org"
>
> Note that https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org doesn't work well either[1].  You
> might be better off with just https://berlin.guixsd.org.
>
> But I noticed today that https://berlin.guixsd.org doesn't evaluate
> anything anymore[2], so you will only get old evaluations from it.
>
> At the moment I can't find any working solution.
>
> [1]: https://bugs.gnu.org/33151
> [2]: https://berlin.guixsd.org/jobset/guix-master
>
> Cheers,
> Clément

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Evaluations on berlin.guixsd.org
@ 2018-10-26 19:21         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-10-26 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Lassieur
  Cc: guix-devel, Thomas Danckaert, help-guix, jonathan.brielmaier

Hello,

Clément Lassieur <clement@lassieur.org> skribis:

> But I noticed today that https://berlin.guixsd.org doesn't evaluate
> anything anymore[2], so you will only get old evaluations from it.

I believe this is fixed by fdf02484289e155de56e7320f7e1dd1e57431f4b.

Everyone: please make sure to run ‘guix lint’ before pushing, especially
when pushing patch series where it’s easy to overlook something.

The issue wasn’t easy to find in the middle of the Cuirass build log,
and it’s also problematic that Cuirass doesn’t distinguish between
failed evaluations and evaluations in progress.  We should look into
that sometime.  :-)

Thanks for the heads-up, Clément!

Ludo’.

* Re: hydra.gnu.org off-line for maintenance
@ 2018-10-27 14:49           ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2018-10-27 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Vong; +Cc: guix-devel, help-guix

Alex,

Alex Vong wrote:
> For myself, I use the following option:
>
>   --substitute-urls='https://berlin.guixsd.org
>   https://mirror.guixsd.org https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org
>   https://hydra.gnu.org'

I suggest keeping only one of mirror.guixsd.org and
mirror.hydra.gnu.org.

I don't know the story, or which one's preferable (I forgot m.g.o
existed), but both point to the exact same server. Hitting (and
caching?) the same box twice is probably bad news for both of you.

> I choose 'berlin.guixsd.org' to be the default because it seems
> to build
> substitutes faster than 'hydra.gnu.org'.

I share that impression.

Kind regards,

T G-R

* Re: hydra.gnu.org off-line for maintenance
@ 2018-10-31 14:40             ` Alex Vong
From: Alex Vong @ 2018-10-31 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: guix-devel, help-guix, alexvong1995

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:

> Alex,
>
> Alex Vong wrote:
>> For myself, I use the following option:
>>
>>   --substitute-urls='https://berlin.guixsd.org
>> https://mirror.guixsd.org https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org
>> https://hydra.gnu.org'
>
> I suggest keeping only one of mirror.guixsd.org and
> mirror.hydra.gnu.org.
>
> I don't know the story, or which one's preferable (I forgot m.g.o
> existed), but both point to the exact same server. Hitting (and
> caching?) the same box twice is probably bad news for both of you.

Thanks for the catch! 'mirror.guixsd.org' was mentioned in one of the
threads. (of course, I forget which thread it was...) I don't know the 2
urls resolve same server.

@ 2018-11-01 15:07 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-11-01 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, info-guix; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Guix!

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> The hydra.gnu.org build farm has been off-line since yesterday ~4PM UTC
> and will remain off-line roughly until the end of the week.  The FSF
> sysadmins (it’s hosted at the FSF’s data center) are performing a major
> storage upgrade that happens to need more time than expected.
>
> In the meantime, if you use mirror.hydra.gnu.org, you’ll still get
> substitutes, though not the latest one.
>
> If you use berlin.guixsd.org, everything is fine; if you don’t, now is
> the time to add it to your substitute URLs!  See
> <https://gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Substitutes.html>.

For the record, the maintenance of hydra.gnu.org is still on-going.
From what the FSF sysadmin told us, it could last until Tuesday,
Nov. 6th.

I strongly recommend switching to berlin.guixsd.org as your primary
source of substitutes.

@ 2018-11-01 15:30   ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2018-11-01 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On Thu, Nov 01, 2018 at 04:07:56PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> For the record, the maintenance of hydra.gnu.org is still on-going.
> From what the FSF sysadmin told us, it could last until Tuesday,
> Nov. 6th.
>
> I strongly recommend switching to berlin.guixsd.org as your primary
> source of substitutes.

Can't we build a standard fallback into the default install?

Pj.

* Re: hydra.gnu.org off-line for maintenance
@ 2018-11-06 11:01 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-11-06 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-guix; +Cc: guix-devel, help-guix