unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Gradio attempt
@ 2018-10-10 20:56 Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-10-10 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi all,

I have just attempted by first complete Guix packaging. I am
submitting
it here for criticism. Here are a few things I am missing, or is
not
working for me on my end.

1) The description is virtually null, because I am not quite sure
understand fully what to put there. The documentation helped, but
it
still feels ambiguous to this specific project.

2) I tried a propagated-input of `lame` to make the MP3 codecs
work, but
it seems that was a failure.

I have linted and verified most things here, let me know what you
think:

--- BEGIN ---

(define-module (gradio)
  #:use-module (guix licenses)
  #:use-module (guix packages)
  #:use-module (guix download)
  #:use-module (guix profiles)
  #:use-module (guix build-system meson)
  #:use-module (gnu packages glib)
  #:use-module (gnu packages gtk)
  #:use-module (gnu packages gnome)
  #:use-module (gnu packages gstreamer)
  #:use-module (gnu packages databases)
  #:use-module (gnu packages pkg-config)
  #:use-module (gnu packages base)
  #:use-module (gnu packages gettext)
  #:use-module (gnu packages freedesktop)
  #:use-module (gnu packages mp3))

(define-public gradio
  (package
   (name "gradio")
   (version "7.1")
   (source (origin
            (method url-fetch)
            (uri (string-append
            "https://github.com/haecker-felix/Gradio/archive/v"
            version ".tar.gz"))
            (sha256
             (base32
              "0rm73fldzlk6h8lssk8jcw6k97acsln09x5a1l1zj02g2a1hadbv"))))
(build-system meson-build-system)
(native-inputs `(("glib" ,glib "bin")
                 ("gtk+" ,gtk+)
                 ("gtk+" ,gtk+ "bin")
                 ("libsoup" ,libsoup)
                 ("json-glib" ,json-glib)
                 ("gstreamer" ,gstreamer)
                 ("sqlite" ,sqlite)
                 ("vala" ,vala)
                 ("pkg-config" ,pkg-config)
                 ("gst-plugins-base" ,gst-plugins-base)
                 ("gnu-gettext" ,gnu-gettext)
                 ("desktop-file-utils" ,desktop-file-utils)))
(propagated-inputs `(("lame" ,lame)))
(synopsis "Find and listen to internet radio stations")
(description "Find and listen to internet radio stations.")
(home-page "https://github.com/haecker-felix/Gradio")
(license gpl3+)))

--- END ---

--
Brett M. Gilio
Free Software Foundation, Member

* Re: Gradio attempt
@ 2018-10-11 20:54 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2018-10-11 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Gilio; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 03:56:42PM -0500, Brett Gilio wrote:
> 1) The description is virtually null, because I am not quite sure I
> understand fully what to put there. The documentation helped, but it
> still feels ambiguous to this specific project.

The description is sometimes the hardest part of a package, especially
when there is nothing to copy from upstream :) I would mention that it's
a graphical program, what kind of internet radio stations it supports,
that it offers a tool to discover new stations (although it doesn't work
for me), and things like that.

> 2) I tried a propagated-input of `lame` to make the MP3 codecs work, but
> it seems that was a failure.

Can you explain how it failed? I couldn't get the program to show me a
list of potential stations, or find a way to add an URL that I know
works. Are you able to use the program at all?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Gradio attempt
@ 2018-10-11 21:33   ` Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-10-11 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: Guix-devel

Leo Famulari writes:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 03:56:42PM -0500, Brett Gilio wrote:
>> 1) The description is virtually null, because I am not quite
>> sure I
>> understand fully what to put there. The documentation helped,
>> but it
>> still feels ambiguous to this specific project.
>
> The description is sometimes the hardest part of a package,
> especially
> when there is nothing to copy from upstream :) I would mention
> that it's
> a graphical program, what kind of internet radio stations it
> supports,
> that it offers a tool to discover new stations (although it
> doesn't work
> for me), and things like that.
>
>> 2) I tried a propagated-input of `lame` to make the MP3 codecs
>> work, but
>> it seems that was a failure.
>
> Can you explain how it failed? I couldn't get the program to
> show me a
> list of potential stations, or find a way to add an URL that I
> know
> works. Are you able to use the program at all?

Hi Leo

Thank you for your feedback on the description. As for whether or
not
the application works, yes. I click on "Add stations to library".
It
takes a few seconds for it to populate, but I am eventually shown
several choices and something to click on. From there, after
clicking on
a station, I receive a missing codec error.

--

@ 2018-10-12  4:31     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2018-10-12  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Gilio; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 04:33:31PM -0500, Brett Gilio wrote:
> Thank you for your feedback on the description. As for whether or not
> the application works, yes. I click on "Add stations to library". It
> takes a few seconds for it to populate, but I am eventually shown
> several choices and something to click on. From there, after clicking on
> a station, I receive a missing codec error.

Thanks, I got it to load the stations when run within GNOME.

The missing plugin error is related to GStreamer and the various
GStreamer plugins; I don't think Gradio uses LAME. I tried building with
all of the GStreamer libraries and plugins, or installing them all
alongside Gradio, but no luck.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Gradio attempt
@ 2018-10-12 17:36       ` Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-10-12 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: Guix-devel

Leo Famulari writes:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 04:33:31PM -0500, Brett Gilio wrote:
>> Thank you for your feedback on the description. As for whether
>> or not
>> the application works, yes. I click on "Add stations to
>> library". It
>> takes a few seconds for it to populate, but I am eventually
>> shown
>> several choices and something to click on. From there, after
>> clicking on
>> a station, I receive a missing codec error.
>
> Thanks, I got it to load the stations when run within GNOME.
>
> The missing plugin error is related to GStreamer and the various
> GStreamer plugins; I don't think Gradio uses LAME. I tried
> building with
> all of the GStreamer libraries and plugins, or installing them
> all
> alongside Gradio, but no luck.

I tried the same thing after I sent the initial email and looking
at the
build process more closely. But, I am in the same position as you,
no
luck. I am not sure how it is verifying the presence of the codec,
if it
is looking in a specific path or something. What do you suggest I
do
from here?

Brett

--