unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
@ 2017-11-07 13:39 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-11-07 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel; +Cc: Pjotr Prins

Hello Guix!

Since we didn’t get a devroom this time in spite of the efforts of
Manolis and Pjotr, what about holding a Guix meeting let’s say on Friday
before FOSDEM (Feb. 2nd, in Brussels)?

We could meet for the whole day, in a place that remains to be defined,
to discuss about all things Guix{,SD}.  The event could be a mixture of
short talks on specific topics, discussions on technical and less
technical topics (multiple bootloader support & GuixSD on ARM, making
‘guix pull’ great again, Cuirass, reaching out to more
users/contributors, Guix & HPC, improving our infrastructure and
organization, etc.), and possibly hacking sessions.

Who would be willing to join?  (You can reply privately if you prefer.)

Based on the show of hands, we’ll arrange for a venue of the appropriate
size.

Thanks!

Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
@ 2017-11-07 14:14 ` ng0
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: ng0 @ 2017-11-07 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, Pjotr Prins

Ludovic Courtès transcribed 1.8K bytes:
> Hello Guix!
>
> Since we didn’t get a devroom this time in spite of the efforts of
> Manolis and Pjotr, what about holding a Guix meeting let’s say on Friday
> before FOSDEM (Feb. 2nd, in Brussels)?
>
> We could meet for the whole day, in a place that remains to be defined,
> to discuss about all things Guix{,SD}.  The event could be a mixture of
> short talks on specific topics, discussions on technical and less
> technical topics (multiple bootloader support & GuixSD on ARM, making
> ‘guix pull’ great again, Cuirass, reaching out to more
> users/contributors, Guix & HPC, improving our infrastructure and
> organization, etc.), and possibly hacking sessions.
>
> Who would be willing to join?  (You can reply privately if you prefer.)

Count me maybe-in. I have no idea if I can make it (yet). Definitely
interested in another meeting/workshop.

--
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
GnuPG: https://dist.ng0.infotropique.org/dist/keys/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
@ 2017-11-07 14:19 ` julien lepiller
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: julien lepiller @ 2017-11-07 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Le 2017-11-07 14:39, ludo@gnu.org a écrit :
> Hello Guix!
>
> Since we didn’t get a devroom this time in spite of the efforts of
> Manolis and Pjotr, what about holding a Guix meeting let’s say on
> Friday
> before FOSDEM (Feb. 2nd, in Brussels)?
>
> We could meet for the whole day, in a place that remains to be defined,
> to discuss about all things Guix{,SD}.  The event could be a mixture of
> short talks on specific topics, discussions on technical and less
> technical topics (multiple bootloader support & GuixSD on ARM, making
> ‘guix pull’ great again, Cuirass, reaching out to more
> users/contributors, Guix & HPC, improving our infrastructure and
> organization, etc.), and possibly hacking sessions.
>
> Who would be willing to join?  (You can reply privately if you prefer.)
>
> Based on the show of hands, we’ll arrange for a venue of the
> appropriate
> size.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ludo’.

Provided I can find a bed for friday night, I'll be very happy to meet
you
all!

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
@ 2017-11-07 14:46 ` myglc2
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: myglc2 @ 2017-11-07 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, Pjotr Prins

On 11/07/2017 at 14:39 Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> Since we didn’t get a devroom this time in spite of the efforts of
> Manolis and Pjotr, what about holding a Guix meeting let’s say on Friday
> before FOSDEM (Feb. 2nd, in Brussels)?
>
> We could meet for the whole day, in a place that remains to be defined,
> to discuss about all things Guix{,SD}.  The event could be a mixture of
> short talks on specific topics, discussions on technical and less
> technical topics (multiple bootloader support & GuixSD on ARM, making
> ‘guix pull’ great again, Cuirass, reaching out to more
> users/contributors, Guix & HPC, improving our infrastructure and
> organization, etc.), and possibly hacking sessions.
>
> Who would be willing to join?  (You can reply privately if you prefer.)
>
> Based on the show of hands, we’ll arrange for a venue of the appropriate
> size.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ludo’.

Hi Ludo’,

I am thinking of coming from Boston on the cheap to finally put a face
on all you helpful Guixers, and maybe go to FOSDEM.

My personal interests are HPC, reproducible research, Cuirass, and
"user-level" use of git pull instead of guix pull.

Are you saying there will be no Guix discussion at FOSDEM?

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-11-07 17:00 ` Pjotr Prins
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2017-11-07 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

Count me in!

There are many cheap hotels in Brussels and also airbnb is fine in my
experience. Food is great too and, last but not least, FOSDEM is
plainly awesome. 30+ tracks means there is something for everyone. And
speakers and visitors are all hackers.

There may be a few Guix talks, but because we have no devroom this
year we better get something sorted outside the main conference. If
that turns out to be a success we may settle on that annually. I don't
see why not.

From the US you should check out airlines like Norwegian, Scandinavian
and Iceland air. They can be a real bargain. Going by high-speed train
from London, Amsterdam and Paris is an option too if you have enough
time for a bit of tourism.

Pj.

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-11-07 18:09 ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2017-11-07 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, Pjotr Prins

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Since we didn’t get a devroom this time in spite of the efforts of
> Manolis and Pjotr, what about holding a Guix meeting let’s say on Friday
> before FOSDEM (Feb. 2nd, in Brussels)?

> Who would be willing to join?  (You can reply privately if you prefer.)

Yes, I'd like to join.
janneke

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-11-07 18:23 ` Ricardo Wurmus
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-11-07 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, Pjotr Prins

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Who would be willing to join?

I’ll be there!  All topics sound fun to me, and I find hacking sessions
very useful to fix annoying problems quickly.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-11-07 19:06 ` Roel Janssen
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Roel Janssen @ 2017-11-07 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, Pjotr Prins

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> Since we didn’t get a devroom this time in spite of the efforts of
> Manolis and Pjotr, what about holding a Guix meeting let’s say on Friday
> before FOSDEM (Feb. 2nd, in Brussels)?
>
> We could meet for the whole day, in a place that remains to be defined,
> to discuss about all things Guix{,SD}.  The event could be a mixture of
> short talks on specific topics, discussions on technical and less
> technical topics (multiple bootloader support & GuixSD on ARM, making
> ‘guix pull’ great again, Cuirass, reaching out to more
> users/contributors, Guix & HPC, improving our infrastructure and
> organization, etc.), and possibly hacking sessions.
>
> Who would be willing to join?  (You can reply privately if you prefer.)

Count me in!

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
@ 2017-11-07 19:18   ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-11-07 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roel Janssen, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, Pjotr Prins

Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès writes:
>
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>> Since we didn’t get a devroom this time in spite of the efforts of
>> Manolis and Pjotr, what about holding a Guix meeting let’s say on Friday
>> before FOSDEM (Feb. 2nd, in Brussels)?
>>
>> We could meet for the whole day, in a place that remains to be defined,
>> to discuss about all things Guix{,SD}.  The event could be a mixture of
>> short talks on specific topics, discussions on technical and less
>> technical topics (multiple bootloader support & GuixSD on ARM, making
>> ‘guix pull’ great again, Cuirass, reaching out to more
>> users/contributors, Guix & HPC, improving our infrastructure and
>> organization, etc.), and possibly hacking sessions.
>>
>> Who would be willing to join?  (You can reply privately if you prefer.)
>
> Count me in!

Ditto!

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-11-07 21:49 ` Pjotr Prins
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2017-11-07 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

With regard to talks we should limit the total time for that - say 2-3
hours total. And have the rest of the day free flowing discussion and
hacking. Talks are useful, but I think the real impact will be to be
together and sit down and inspire each other and flesh out next year's
projects and priorities.

Pj.

On Tue, Nov 07, 2017 at 02:39:53PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello Guix!
>
> Since we didn’t get a devroom this time in spite of the efforts of
> Manolis and Pjotr, what about holding a Guix meeting let’s say on Friday
> before FOSDEM (Feb. 2nd, in Brussels)?
>
> We could meet for the whole day, in a place that remains to be defined,
> to discuss about all things Guix{,SD}.  The event could be a mixture of
> short talks on specific topics, discussions on technical and less
> technical topics (multiple bootloader support & GuixSD on ARM, making
> ‘guix pull’ great again, Cuirass, reaching out to more
> users/contributors, Guix & HPC, improving our infrastructure and
> organization, etc.), and possibly hacking sessions.
>
> Who would be willing to join?  (You can reply privately if you prefer.)
>
> Based on the show of hands, we’ll arrange for a venue of the appropriate
> size.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ludo’.

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
@ 2017-11-07 22:50   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-11-07 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2; +Cc: Guix-devel, Pjotr Prins

myglc2 <myglc2@gmail.com> skribis:

> I am thinking of coming from Boston on the cheap to finally put a face
> on all you helpful Guixers, and maybe go to FOSDEM.
>
> My personal interests are HPC, reproducible research, Cuirass, and
> "user-level" use of git pull instead of guix pull.

Cool!

> Are you saying there will be no Guix discussion at FOSDEM?

There will be no “developer room” akin to what we had for the last
couple of years¹ (we had a Guile/Guix track at FOSDEM for half a day and
then for a whole day, which was awesome.)  Hopefully there’ll be a
couple of Guix talks in other tracks though.

Ludo’.

¹ https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-10/msg00061.html

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-11-08  7:57 ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2017-11-08  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Tue, 07 Nov 2017 14:39:53 +0100
ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> Hello Guix!
>
> Since we didn’t get a devroom this time in spite of the efforts of
> Manolis and Pjotr, what about holding a Guix meeting let’s say on Friday
> before FOSDEM (Feb. 2nd, in Brussels)?
>
> We could meet for the whole day, in a place that remains to be defined,
> to discuss about all things Guix{,SD}.  The event could be a mixture of
> short talks on specific topics, discussions on technical and less
> technical topics (multiple bootloader support & GuixSD on ARM, making
> ‘guix pull’ great again, Cuirass, reaching out to more
> users/contributors, Guix & HPC, improving our infrastructure and
> organization, etc.), and possibly hacking sessions.
>
> Who would be willing to join?  (You can reply privately if you prefer.)

Sounds great, count me in :)

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
@ 2017-11-08  8:49   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-11-08  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: Guix-devel

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> skribis:

> With regard to talks we should limit the total time for that - say 2-3
> hours total. And have the rest of the day free flowing discussion and
> hacking. Talks are useful, but I think the real impact will be to be
> together and sit down and inspire each other and flesh out next year's
> projects and priorities.

Agreed!

Ludo'.

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-11-08 10:23 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2017-11-08 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, Pjotr Prins

On Tue, Nov 07, 2017 at 02:39:53PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello Guix!
>
> Since we didn’t get a devroom this time in spite of the efforts of
> Manolis and Pjotr, what about holding a Guix meeting let’s say on Friday
> before FOSDEM (Feb. 2nd, in Brussels)?
>
> We could meet for the whole day, in a place that remains to be defined,
> to discuss about all things Guix{,SD}.  The event could be a mixture of
> short talks on specific topics, discussions on technical and less
> technical topics (multiple bootloader support & GuixSD on ARM, making
> ‘guix pull’ great again, Cuirass, reaching out to more
> users/contributors, Guix & HPC, improving our infrastructure and
> organization, etc.), and possibly hacking sessions.
>
> Who would be willing to join?  (You can reply privately if you prefer.)
>
> Based on the show of hands, we’ll arrange for a venue of the appropriate
> size.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ludo’.

I should be able to make it again this year. Assuming I'm taking the
same flight as last time I'll be in Brussels by about 5am. I'm not
suggesting that we start that early, but depending on what everyone else
is doing we could aim to have the talks/presentations when we have the
most number of people and then have time before and after for hacking.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
@ 2017-11-08 12:20   ` benjaminsutter
From: benjaminsutter @ 2017-11-08 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: Guix-devel, Pjotr Prins

It’s times like this when I wish I were older.

> On Nov 8, 2017, at 5:23 AM, Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 07, 2017 at 02:39:53PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>> Since we didn’t get a devroom this time in spite of the efforts of
>> Manolis and Pjotr, what about holding a Guix meeting let’s say on Friday
>> before FOSDEM (Feb. 2nd, in Brussels)?
>>
>> We could meet for the whole day, in a place that remains to be defined,
>> to discuss about all things Guix{,SD}.  The event could be a mixture of
>> short talks on specific topics, discussions on technical and less
>> technical topics (multiple bootloader support & GuixSD on ARM, making
>> ‘guix pull’ great again, Cuirass, reaching out to more
>> users/contributors, Guix & HPC, improving our infrastructure and
>> organization, etc.), and possibly hacking sessions.
>>
>> Who would be willing to join?  (You can reply privately if you prefer.)
>>
>> Based on the show of hands, we’ll arrange for a venue of the appropriate
>> size.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Ludo’.
>
> I should be able to make it again this year. Assuming I'm taking the
> same flight as last time I'll be in Brussels by about 5am. I'm not
> suggesting that we start that early, but depending on what everyone else
> is doing we could aim to have the talks/presentations when we have the
> most number of people and then have time before and after for hacking.
>

> --
> Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   אפרים פלשנר
> GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
> Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
@ 2017-11-08 13:57   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-11-08 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: Guix-devel, Pjotr Prins

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:

> I should be able to make it again this year. Assuming I'm taking the
> same flight as last time I'll be in Brussels by about 5am. I'm not
> suggesting that we start that early, but depending on what everyone else
> is doing we could aim to have the talks/presentations when we have the
> most number of people and then have time before and after for hacking.

I think we could aim for ~9am for the beginning.  5am is a bit too
early.  ;-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
@ 2017-11-08 22:51     ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-11-08 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, Pjotr Prins

Ludovic Courtès transcribed 0.5K bytes:
> Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:
>
> > I should be able to make it again this year. Assuming I'm taking the
> > same flight as last time I'll be in Brussels by about 5am. I'm not
> > suggesting that we start that early, but depending on what everyone else
> > is doing we could aim to have the talks/presentations when we have the
> > most number of people and then have time before and after for hacking.
>
> I think we could aim for ~9am for the beginning.  5am is a bit too
> early.  ;-)
>
> Ludo’.

Yeah. Depending on the means of transportation I choose, I
could arrive between 5 and 9AM at Brussel Central.
--

@ 2017-11-09 15:45     ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2017-11-09 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

Just a quick update to all. Friday is on, we already have one or two
potential venues. It'll get sorted.

Book your flights/trains/trainers!

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 02:57:03PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:
>
> > I should be able to make it again this year. Assuming I'm taking the
> > same flight as last time I'll be in Brussels by about 5am. I'm not
> > suggesting that we start that early, but depending on what everyone else
> > is doing we could aim to have the talks/presentations when we have the
> > most number of people and then have time before and after for hacking.
>
> I think we could aim for ~9am for the beginning.  5am is a bit too
> early.  ;-)
>
> Ludo’.

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
@ 2018-01-06 17:16   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-01-06 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: Guix-devel

> With regard to talks we should limit the total time for that - say 2-3
> hours total. And have the rest of the day free flowing discussion and
> hacking. Talks are useful, but I think the real impact will be to be
> together and sit down and inspire each other and flesh out next year's
> projects and priorities.

With regret I say that I can't manage to be there, this time :-/

I would have loved to :-/

* Re: Let’s meet before FOSDEM!
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-01-20 14:16 ` Danny Milosavljevic
From: Danny Milosavljevic @ 2018-01-20 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Guix-devel

On Tue, 07 Nov 2017 14:39:53 +0100
ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> We could meet for the whole day, in a place that remains to be defined,
> to discuss about all things Guix{,SD}.  The event could be a mixture of
> short talks on specific topics, discussions on technical and less
> technical topics (multiple bootloader support & GuixSD on ARM, making
> ‘guix pull’ great again, Cuirass, reaching out to more
> users/contributors, Guix & HPC, improving our infrastructure and
> organization, etc.), and possibly hacking sessions.
>
> Who would be willing to join?  (You can reply privately if you prefer.)

I'll join.  I'll arrive in Brussels on 02 Feb 2018 around noon.