unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* System configuration on non-GuixSD distributions
@ 2016-10-04 14:12 Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2016-10-04 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Court??s; +Cc: guix-devel

Anyone got experience using Guix for configuration of non-pure GuixSD
setups?

I would like a replacement for non-deterministic Cfengine/Chef and the
like. I wrote Cfruby once - one reason we still support Ruby 1.8 in
Guix ;). Time to replace it on my machines.

A writeup may be beneficial to others. I can document - but I need a
hint on how to start.

Pj.

* Re: System configuration on non-GuixSD distributions
@ 2016-10-04 14:51 ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-10-04 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 04.10.2016 um 16:12 schrieb Pjotr Prins:
> I would like a replacement for non-deterministic Cfengine/Chef and the
> like. I wrote Cfruby once - one reason we still support Ruby 1.8 in
> Guix ;). Time to replace it on my machines.

I already had the vision about having something like debops
(www.debops.org) using the GuixSD mechanisms.

(For those of you who do not know debops: It is a collection of more
then 100 roles (or receipts) for Ansible.)

--
Schönen Gruß
Hartmut Goebel

Goebel Consult, Landshut
http://www.goebel-consult.de

Blog: http://www.goebel-consult.de/blog/ehrlichkeit-made-in-germany
Kolumne:
http://www.cissp-gefluester.de/2011-02-fleisige-datensammler-fur-lukratives-geschaeftsmodell-gesucht

* Re: System configuration on non-GuixSD distributions
@ 2016-10-04 15:50   ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2016-10-04 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

Hartmut Goebel writes:

> Am 04.10.2016 um 16:12 schrieb Pjotr Prins:
>> I would like a replacement for non-deterministic Cfengine/Chef and the
>> like. I wrote Cfruby once - one reason we still support Ruby 1.8 in
>> Guix ;). Time to replace it on my machines.
>
> I already had the vision about having something like debops
> (www.debops.org) using the GuixSD mechanisms.
>
> (For those of you who do not know debops: It is a collection of more
> then 100 roles (or receipts) for Ansible.)

The deployability dream is what originally drew me to Guix, and then
GuixSD.  Originally I was planning on something separate, Guile based
but able to deploy Debian and etc type systems.

Un/fortunately I think the main advantage to Guix as a deployment system
seems to be if you're really going "all out" and can reproducibly build
the whole thing with it.

Otherwise, what can you do?  I guess you could still build *some*
configuration, like apache configs and etc, but you'd still need to set
up your base system to know to point at the current profile, or whatever
you'd do...

* Re: System configuration on non-GuixSD distributions
@ 2016-10-04 17:04     ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2016-10-04 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Allan Webber; +Cc: guix-devel, Hartmut Goebel

On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 10:50:13AM -0500, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> Hartmut Goebel writes:
>
> > Am 04.10.2016 um 16:12 schrieb Pjotr Prins:
> >> I would like a replacement for non-deterministic Cfengine/Chef and the
> >> like. I wrote Cfruby once - one reason we still support Ruby 1.8 in
> >> Guix ;). Time to replace it on my machines.
> >
> > I already had the vision about having something like debops
> > (www.debops.org) using the GuixSD mechanisms.
> >
> > (For those of you who do not know debops: It is a collection of more
> > then 100 roles (or receipts) for Ansible.)
>
> The deployability dream is what originally drew me to Guix, and then
> GuixSD.  Originally I was planning on something separate, Guile based
> but able to deploy Debian and etc type systems.
>
> Un/fortunately I think the main advantage to Guix as a deployment system
> seems to be if you're really going "all out" and can reproducibly build
> the whole thing with it.

I know. I would love it and am close to switching on my laptop - but
reality still has me deploying on existing systems.

> Otherwise, what can you do?  I guess you could still build *some*
> configuration, like apache configs and etc, but you'd still need to set
> up your base system to know to point at the current profile, or whatever
> you'd do...

That would be OK. If can configure /etc/sshd_config to something in
Guix that would work. My main problem is that I don't know how to
start :)

Tonight star gazing - perfect sky in NL.

Pj.