unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* R packages do not show up as requisites
@ 2016-03-04 15:47 Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2016-03-04 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Funny thing,

  guix gc -R path

on a package that has python modules and R packages as inputs only the
python inputs show up. Try for example r-munsell which has
r-colorspace as an input:

  ./pre-inst-env guix package -i r-munsell

   r-munsell    0.4.2 → 0.4.2 /gnu/store/kwhzqrpcm8agl8q2v9n19rss060xs2j4-r-munsell-0.4.2

  ./pre-inst-env guix gc -R /gnu/store/kwhzqrpcm8agl8q2v9n19rss060xs2j4-r-munsell-0.4.2

Niente, nop, nada.

So you need R_LIBRARY_PATH set to run it.

My problem is now that 'guix archive' won't include R modules because
they are not listed as requisites.

Is there an easy fix?

Pj.

* Re: R packages do not show up as requisites
@ 2016-03-04 23:30 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-03-04 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> skribis:

> Funny thing,
>
>   guix gc -R path
>
> on a package that has python modules and R packages as inputs only the
> python inputs show up. Try for example r-munsell which has
> r-colorspace as an input:
>
>   ./pre-inst-env guix package -i r-munsell
>
>    r-munsell    0.4.2 → 0.4.2 /gnu/store/kwhzqrpcm8agl8q2v9n19rss060xs2j4-r-munsell-0.4.2
>
>   ./pre-inst-env guix gc -R /gnu/store/kwhzqrpcm8agl8q2v9n19rss060xs2j4-r-munsell-0.4.2
>
> Niente, nop, nada.

That’s because r-munsell does not explicitly refer to r-colorspace.
Instead, r-colorspace is a propagated input of r-munsell, and propagated
inputs are something taken into account when building the profile (see
the ‘manifest’ file in there), but not other at the lower levels.

> My problem is now that 'guix archive' won't include R modules because
> they are not listed as requisites.
>
> Is there an easy fix?

You could do, say:

  guix package -i r-munsell -p foo
  guix archive --export $(readlink foo) > t.nar

HTH!

Ludo’.

* Re: R packages do not show up as requisites
@ 2016-03-05  6:15   ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2016-03-05  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 12:30:06AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> skribis:
>
> > Funny thing,
> >
> >   guix gc -R path
> >
> > on a package that has python modules and R packages as inputs only the
> > python inputs show up. Try for example r-munsell which has
> > r-colorspace as an input:
> >
> >   ./pre-inst-env guix package -i r-munsell
> >
> >    r-munsell    0.4.2 → 0.4.2 /gnu/store/kwhzqrpcm8agl8q2v9n19rss060xs2j4-r-munsell-0.4.2
> >
> >   ./pre-inst-env guix gc -R /gnu/store/kwhzqrpcm8agl8q2v9n19rss060xs2j4-r-munsell-0.4.2
> >
> > Niente, nop, nada.
>
> That’s because r-munsell does not explicitly refer to r-colorspace.
> Instead, r-colorspace is a propagated input of r-munsell, and propagated
> inputs are something taken into account when building the profile (see
> the ‘manifest’ file in there), but not other at the lower levels.

It is funny how my misconceptions trip me up :). I thought inputs were
treated as dependencies. So, if I were to write a package I would have
to include r-colorspace both as an input AND a propagated input? From
your description that won't help (I actually tried, it does not)
because there are no *explicit* links inside the package.

It is very interesting and relevant to Ruby and R packages because
they don't use the full store paths explicitly. I need to check how
python does include them (they appear to work), maybe Ricardo was
thinking about that too in the earlier discussions on builds.

It also explains why they did not show up in the generated SVG graphs.

You see, I noted these things, but it did not register as a problem
until I tried to archive :)

> > My problem is now that 'guix archive' won't include R modules because
> > they are not listed as requisites.
> >
> > Is there an easy fix?
>
> You could do, say:
>
>   guix package -i r-munsell -p foo
>   guix archive --export $(readlink foo) > t.nar
>
> HTH!

Yes, that will help.

Pj.