unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* FOSDEM 2016
@ 2015-08-18 10:32 Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2015-08-18 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

We should propose a Guile + Guix developers track for FOSDEM. They usually have
Ruby/Perl/Python dev tracks, so Guile will fit right in. I am sure we can
generate enough interesting talks on aspects of Guix packaging, for one.

Deadline for dev room proposals is half September.

Anyone want to help organise this or even take the lead? And talks that can be
had? We can have a hackathon one day before (or after) FOSDEM too.

And who else can (with some likelihood) come to Brussels if February? FOSDEM is
my favorite conference and there is something for everyone involved in FOSS.

People who go tend to come back. It's messy, it's fun.

Pj.

* Re: FOSDEM 2016
@ 2015-08-18 10:45 ` Amirouche Boubekki
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2015-08-18 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-devel-bounces+amirouche=hypermove.net

Le 2015-08-18 12:32, Pjotr Prins a écrit :
> We should propose a Guile + Guix developers track for FOSDEM. They
> usually have
> Ruby/Perl/Python dev tracks, so Guile will fit right in. I am sure we
> can
> generate enough interesting talks on aspects of Guix packaging, for
> one.
>
> Deadline for dev room proposals is half September.
>
> Anyone want to help organise this or even take the lead? And talks that
> can be
> had? We can have a hackathon one day before (or after) FOSDEM too.
>
> And who else can (with some likelihood) come to Brussels if February?
> FOSDEM is
> my favorite conference and there is something for everyone involved in
> FOSS.
>
> People who go tend to come back. It's messy, it's fun.
>
> Pj.

Good idea. I may come, but I'm not in position to propose a talk!

* Re: FOSDEM 2016
@ 2015-08-18 11:06 ` Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠)
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠) @ 2015-08-18 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 12:32 PM, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> wrote:

> And who else can (with some likelihood) come to Brussels if February? FOSDEM is
> my favorite conference and there is something for everyone involved in FOSS.

Thanks for the heads-up! Been meaning to go to FOSDEM for years.

Next year it seems to be on 30th--31st of January.

https://fosdem.org/2016/

* Re: FOSDEM 2016
@ 2015-08-18 13:11 ` Thompson, David
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thompson, David @ 2015-08-18 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 6:32 AM, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> wrote:
> We should propose a Guile + Guix developers track for FOSDEM. They usually have
> Ruby/Perl/Python dev tracks, so Guile will fit right in. I am sure we can
> generate enough interesting talks on aspects of Guix packaging, for one.

That would be awesome.

> Deadline for dev room proposals is half September.
>
> Anyone want to help organise this or even take the lead? And talks that can be
> had? We can have a hackathon one day before (or after) FOSDEM too.
>
> And who else can (with some likelihood) come to Brussels if February? FOSDEM is
> my favorite conference and there is something for everyone involved in FOSS.

I'd love to go, but I'm not sure if I can make it since it's across
the Atlantic and I have a bit of a flying phobia.

Whether or not I'm there, I'd really like to see a good Guile/Guix
presence at FOSDEM. :)

- Dave

* Re: FOSDEM 2016
@ 2015-08-18 15:11   ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2015-08-18 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: guix-devel

I have added myself to their mailing list. When we can submit a
proposal I'll notify you all.

Anyone who wants to help organise if and when we get a dev-track?
Should be straightforward: it is good to have a few people involved.

Pj.

* Re: FOSDEM 2016
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-08-23 17:36 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-08-23 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

(Sorry for the late reply.)

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> skribis:

> We should propose a Guile + Guix developers track for FOSDEM. They usually have
> Ruby/Perl/Python dev tracks, so Guile will fit right in. I am sure we can
> generate enough interesting talks on aspects of Guix packaging, for one.
>
> Deadline for dev room proposals is half September.

That’s a good idea.  In the past, Alex Sassmannshausen (Cc’d) took care
of submitting dev room proposals for GNU as a whole.  Alex: What would
you think of making a Guix or Guile+Guix (instead of GNU) dev room?
Would you like to give a hand?

If we fail to get a dev room, we can surely submit one or two talk
proposals.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: FOSDEM 2016
@ 2015-08-24  7:29   ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2015-08-24  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

As an example, one talk I would like to submit with Dave and Ricardo
(and others) is about adding Python and Ruby support to GNU Guix. I
think the process of adding them is interesting for others who would
like to support their language and or software stack.

Pj.

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 07:36:12PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello!
>
> (Sorry for the late reply.)
>
> Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> skribis:
>
> > We should propose a Guile + Guix developers track for FOSDEM. They usually have
> > Ruby/Perl/Python dev tracks, so Guile will fit right in. I am sure we can
> > generate enough interesting talks on aspects of Guix packaging, for one.
> >
> > Deadline for dev room proposals is half September.
>
> That’s a good idea.  In the past, Alex Sassmannshausen (Cc’d) took care
> of submitting dev room proposals for GNU as a whole.  Alex: What would
> you think of making a Guix or Guile+Guix (instead of GNU) dev room?
> Would you like to give a hand?
>
> If we fail to get a dev room, we can surely submit one or two talk
> proposals.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

* Re: FOSDEM 2016
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-08-24 15:59 ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2015-08-24 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Pjotr Prins writes:

> We should propose a Guile + Guix developers track for FOSDEM. They usually have
> Ruby/Perl/Python dev tracks, so Guile will fit right in. I am sure we can
> generate enough interesting talks on aspects of Guix packaging, for one.
>
> Deadline for dev room proposals is half September.
>
> Anyone want to help organise this or even take the lead? And talks that can be
> had? We can have a hackathon one day before (or after) FOSDEM too.
>
> And who else can (with some likelihood) come to Brussels if February? FOSDEM is
> my favorite conference and there is something for everyone involved in FOSS.
>
> People who go tend to come back. It's messy, it's fun.
>
> Pj.

This would be great; assuming a room was accepted and I was going, I'd
be interested in submitting a talk on how Guile and Guix could help pave
a path towards greater network freedom.

 - Chris

* Re: FOSDEM 2016
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-08-24 17:28 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2015-08-24 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> writes:

> We should propose a Guile + Guix developers track for FOSDEM. They usually have
> Ruby/Perl/Python dev tracks, so Guile will fit right in. I am sure we can
> generate enough interesting talks on aspects of Guix packaging, for one.

Good idea!

> Anyone want to help organise this or even take the lead? And talks that can be
> had? We can have a hackathon one day before (or after) FOSDEM too.

I’m not usually going to conferences, but I’d be interested to go to
FOSDEM next year (never been there before).  I’d be open to
participating in talks or other activities.

~~ Ricardo

* Re: FOSDEM 2016
@ 2015-08-24 17:42   ` Tomáš Čech
From: Tomáš Čech @ 2015-08-24 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix!

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 07:36:12PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>Hello!
>
>(Sorry for the late reply.)
>
>Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> skribis:
>
>> We should propose a Guile + Guix developers track for FOSDEM. They usually have
>> Ruby/Perl/Python dev tracks, so Guile will fit right in. I am sure we can
>> generate enough interesting talks on aspects of Guix packaging, for one.
>>
>> Deadline for dev room proposals is half September.
>
>That’s a good idea.  In the past, Alex Sassmannshausen (Cc’d) took care
>of submitting dev room proposals for GNU as a whole.  Alex: What would
>you think of making a Guix or Guile+Guix (instead of GNU) dev room?
>Would you like to give a hand?

It seems that you forgot to add CC (unless he was Bcc'd).

See you on FOSDEM for sure :)

S_W

* Re: FOSDEM 2016
@ 2015-08-25 21:43   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-08-25 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

(Resent with Alex Cc’d this time.)

@ 2015-08-26 12:12     ` Alex Sassmannshausen
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2015-08-26 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

I think a guile track proposal for FOSDEM is a great idea.  The last 2
years I've put forward FOSDEM proposals, the first for a GNU track, the
second for a Guix track.

The first was declined as the FOSDEM organisers were worried that the
track might not be technical enough.  The second proposal was declined
as a result of us proposing a track on a distribution, when there was a
general distributions track.

I think making the track a Guile track seems like a great approach to
avoid these issues.

I've attached last year's proposal — maybe it would help in formulating
this year's proposal.  I'm also happy to contribute to the discussion in
terms of practical questions that I may be able to answer as a result of
my applications the previous years.  By and large the process is quite
painless.

HTH!

Alex

[-- Attachment #2: Room proposal --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 3005 bytes --]

* Devroom name.

  GNU Guix — growing the GNU distribution.

* Devroom description:

  GNU Guix is the foundation for the reference GNU distribution.

  Guix is a functional package manager based on Nix, written in GNU
  Guile. Development started just 2 years ago, and it has now reached
  a critical juncture: hitherto it was a symbiotic package manager
  installed alongside other package managers within distributions. Now
  it's also becoming a distribution in its own right.

  Goals of the distro (the niche in the "distro market"):
  - transparent, transactional, per-user package-management
  - declarative system configuration;
  - extensibility from the ground up (where possible core distro
    functionality is provided through Guile programs, a language
    specifically designed to be hackable and extensible — for example,
    at present the init system is provided by dmd, which is written in
    Guile);
  - secure: builds are performed in isolated environments to
    facilitate reproducibility, and can be checked independently by
    end-users;
  - blurring of lines between developers, distribution maintainers and
    end-users:
    + high level DSL for describing packages makes packaging easy to
      understand for developers and end-users alike, reducing barriers
      to distro maintenance contribution;
    + support for concurrent system configurations within different
      'profiles' allows for on-the-fly system reconfigurations to help
      bug-tracking and development.

  The devroom will provide the following content:

  - high level overview of & tutorial on the distribution;
  - hacking sessions for packaging software, enhancing the
    distribution (installer, package-management tools, user
    interfaces);
  - discussions & presentations of specific components:
    + Secure networking through gnunet:
      * integration of the GNU Name Service (peer-to-peer, secure DNS
        replacement);
      * choice of defaults that help users remain in control (Linux
        TCP stealth patch, GNUnet and Tor services, etc.)
    + Extending the init system: use Guile (DMD) or established systems?
    + Providing kernel hotswapping: supporting hurd development by
      providing it as an alternative to linux-libre.
    + Extensibility from the ground up: grafting Guile into the heart
      of a distro (e.g. GNU Posh, Guix, DMD).
  - open discussions on the further development of Guix and the
    distro.

  The purpose of the room is to technically progress the distribution
  through:
  - demonstrations of its viability;
  - debates around its technical composition;
  - a space where hackers can contribute concrete chunks of code.

* Related URLs

  - GNU Project: http://www.gnu.org
  - GNU Guix: http://www.gnu.org/software/guix

* Devroom organisers

  - Alex Sassmannshausen (alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com):
    co-ordinator and occasional contributor to Guix.
  - Ludovic Courtès (ludo@gnu.org): maintainer and core developer of
    Guix.

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hello!
>
> (Resent with Alex Cc’d this time.)
>
> Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> skribis:
>
>> We should propose a Guile + Guix developers track for FOSDEM. They usually have
>> Ruby/Perl/Python dev tracks, so Guile will fit right in. I am sure we can
>> generate enough interesting talks on aspects of Guix packaging, for one.
>>
>> Deadline for dev room proposals is half September.
>
> That’s a good idea.  In the past, Alex Sassmannshausen (Cc’d) took care
> of submitting dev room proposals for GNU as a whole.  Alex: What would
> you think of making a Guix or Guile+Guix (instead of GNU) dev room?
> Would you like to give a hand?
>
> If we fail to get a dev room, we can surely submit one or two talk
> proposals.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

* Re: FOSDEM 2016
@ 2015-08-28  9:15       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-08-28  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Sassmannshausen; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

Alex Sassmannshausen <alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com> skribis:

> I think making the track a Guile track seems like a great approach to
> avoid these issues.

Good, let’s try that.

> I've attached last year's proposal — maybe it would help in formulating
> this year's proposal.  I'm also happy to contribute to the discussion in
> terms of practical questions that I may be able to answer as a result of
> my applications the previous years.  By and large the process is quite
> painless.

So what needs to be done now?  I think there were a couple of talks
proposed already.  We need something like a Guile 2.2 overview talk by
Andy, I suppose (hint! :-)), and other ideas brought by guile-user@
people.

If somebody (Ricardo?) gives a general talk about Guix(SD), I can give
one on a specific topic, for instance gexps and related APIs.

Could you and/or Pjotr collect talks and assemble a proposal?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: FOSDEM 2016
@ 2015-08-28 17:17         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2015-08-28 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> If somebody (Ricardo?) gives a general talk about Guix(SD), I can give
> one on a specific topic, for instance gexps and related APIs.

I could be that somebody who gives a general talk about Guix or GuixSD.
But what would be the target audience?  People interested in Guile but
with no experience with Guix?

~~ Ricardo

* Re: FOSDEM 2016
@ 2015-08-29 10:35           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-08-29 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> If somebody (Ricardo?) gives a general talk about Guix(SD), I can give
>> one on a specific topic, for instance gexps and related APIs.
>
> I could be that somebody who gives a general talk about Guix or GuixSD.
> But what would be the target audience?  People interested in Guile but
> with no experience with Guix?

Yes, that or people who’ve heard about Guix and want to know more.

Ludo’.

* Re: FOSDEM 2016
@ 2015-08-30  7:11         ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2015-08-30  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Probably best to use a wiki or something. Anything you recommend?

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 11:15:14AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Could you and/or Pjotr collect talks and assemble a proposal?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

* Re: FOSDEM 2016
@ 2015-08-30 11:47           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-08-30 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> skribis:

> Probably best to use a wiki or something. Anything you recommend?

You could use <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix>.  IIRC anyone
can create an account there.

Ludo’.

* Re: FOSDEM 2016
@ 2015-09-01  6:28             ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2015-09-01  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

The following page contains a skeleton of talks:

  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/TalkProposals

Please modify these or add your own proposal. For those authors who can't
make it to Brussels we can (hopefully) find replacement presenters.

Note that this is a developers track, so focus on Guile and Guix software
development.  If we can't get a FOSDEM developers track at FOSDEM, we
may find some other conference to get a room in 2016.

Note also that these are proposals for talks, this is not a final
and approved list.

Pj.

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 01:47:28PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> skribis:
>
> > Probably best to use a wiki or something. Anything you recommend?
>
> You could use <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix>.  IIRC anyone
> can create an account there.
>
> Ludo’.

* Re: FOSDEM 2016
@ 2015-09-01  7:16               ` Alex Sassmannshausen
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2015-09-01  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel, guile-user, Guix-devel; +Cc: Pjotr Prins

Hello,

Pjotr over on guix-devel has proposed we organise a Guile developer
track at the next FOSDEM (January 2016).  There seems to be a pretty
good reception on the guix mailing lists, and we're still looking for
ideas for talks, etc.  If you'd be interested in giving a talk, check
out

   https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/TalkProposals

and/or post to this thread.

As Pjotr puts it:

> Note that this is a developers track, so focus on Guile and Guix software
> development.  If we can't get a FOSDEM developers track at FOSDEM, we
> may find some other conference to get a room in 2016.
>
> Note also that these are proposals for talks, this is not a final
> and approved list.

Fosdem's call for proposals/applications is not open yet, but we aim to
submit a proposal pretty soon after it opens.

Happy hacking,
Alex