unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Circular dependencies in python modules
@ 2015-01-20 22:08 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-01-20 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello!

To package zeitgeist, I need python2-rdflib. With python 3, there was no
problem, but with python 2, there seems to be a dependency on sparqlwrapper:

Installed /gnu/store/kxd0yf301yz53cp8lyn7acyha78sfcjk-python2-rdflib-4.1.2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/rdflib-4.1.2-py2.7.egg
Processing dependencies for rdflib==4.1.2
Searching for SPARQLWrapper
Reading https://pypi.python.org/simple/SPARQLWrapper/
Download error on https://pypi.python.org/simple/SPARQLWrapper/: [Errno -2] Name or service not known -- Some packages may not be found!
Couldn't find index page for 'SPARQLWrapper' (maybe misspelled?)
Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
Reading https://pypi.python.org/simple/
Download error on https://pypi.python.org/simple/: [Errno -2] Name or service not known -- Some packages may not be found!
No local packages or download links found for SPARQLWrapper
error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('SPARQLWrapper')
phase `install' failed after 1 seconds

But sparqlwrapper depends on rdflib (I tried it out, and its web page
also states this). How is this possible, and how is it solved?

Andreas

* Re: Circular dependencies in python modules
@ 2015-01-21 22:24 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-01-21 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Looking at the code of both modules on github, there is:
https://github.com/RDFLib/sparqlwrapper/blob/master/requirements.txt
   rdflib
   rdflib_jsonld
and
https://github.com/RDFLib/rdflib/blob/master/requirements.py2.txt
   flake8
   isodate
   pyparsing<=1.5.7
   SPARQLWrapper
(and similarly for python3; no idea why there the installation worked
without sparqlwrapper).

So what can we do?

@ 2015-01-22  8:50 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2015-01-22  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andreas, Guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> Looking at the code of both modules on github, there is:
> https://github.com/RDFLib/sparqlwrapper/blob/master/requirements.txt
>    rdflib
>    rdflib_jsonld
> and
> https://github.com/RDFLib/rdflib/blob/master/requirements.py2.txt
>    flake8
>    isodate
>    pyparsing<=1.5.7
>    SPARQLWrapper
> (and similarly for python3; no idea why there the installation worked
> without sparqlwrapper).
>
> So what can we do?

It appears that SPARQLWrapper is not really needed and you can disable
dependency guessing with '--no-guessing-deps'. See

https://sources.debian.net/src/rdflib/4.1.2-3/debian/rules/

Regards,
Fede

* Re: Circular dependencies in python modules
@ 2015-01-22 19:37 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-01-22 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 09:50:35AM +0100, Federico Beffa wrote:
> It appears that SPARQLWrapper is not really needed and you can disable
> dependency guessing with '--no-guessing-deps'. See
> https://sources.debian.net/src/rdflib/4.1.2-3/debian/rules/

Thanks for the suggestion! This seems to be some debian specific macro in
their package recipes; I tried it as a configure flag, and setup.py chokes
on it.

However, there are these lines in setup.py:
        kwargs['install_requires'] = [
            'isodate',
            'pyparsing', 'SPARQLWrapper']
explicitly in the "else" branch of
  if sys.version_info[0] >= 3:
So this would explain why there was no problem with python-3.

I would suggest to patch this 'SPARQLWrapper' away. What is the recommended
way nowadays? A patch, I suppose? Or a snippet?

There is another occurrence of SPARQLWrapper in rdflib.egg-info/requires.txt.
But I suppose this is merely documentation?

@ 2015-01-22 21:15   ` Cyril Roelandt
From: Cyril Roelandt @ 2015-01-22 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 01/22/2015 08:37 PM, Andreas Enge wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 09:50:35AM +0100, Federico Beffa wrote:
>> It appears that SPARQLWrapper is not really needed and you can disable
>> dependency guessing with '--no-guessing-deps'. See
>> https://sources.debian.net/src/rdflib/4.1.2-3/debian/rules/
>
> Thanks for the suggestion! This seems to be some debian specific macro in
> their package recipes; I tried it as a configure flag, and setup.py chokes
> on it.
>
> However, there are these lines in setup.py:
>         kwargs['install_requires'] = [
>             'isodate',
>             'pyparsing', 'SPARQLWrapper']
> explicitly in the "else" branch of
>   if sys.version_info[0] >= 3:
> So this would explain why there was no problem with python-3.

In Python 3, it is not in "install_requires", but it is in "requires":

https://github.com/RDFLib/rdflib/blob/master/setup.py#L43

Not sure exactly what the difference is, though.

Cyril.

* Re: Circular dependencies in python modules
@ 2015-01-23 21:32     ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-01-23 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Roelandt; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:15:44PM +0100, Cyril Roelandt wrote:
> In Python 3, it is not in "install_requires", but it is in "requires":
> Not sure exactly what the difference is, though.

I saw it, maybe it means that it needs to be installed together with
sparqlwrapper?

Anyway, I removed the dependency for python 2. Then for the tests, it needed
python2-nose. Then a lot of tests failed.

I am giving up for now. I could disable the tests, and go on with
sparqlwrapper, zeitgeist and libqzeitgeist (my real aim!), but how would
one know that the resulting libraries actually work?

Andreas